Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
80TP routes on other OneWorld airlines?

Wondering about flights to KEF, and saw this:

MAD KEF 341° (N) 341° (N) 1,798 mi
KEF LHR 127° (SE) 139° (SE) 1,180 mi
LHR HEL 048° (NE) 047° (NE) 1,151 mi
HEL KEF 300° (NW) 290° (W) 1,524 mi

LHR-KEF on BA earns 80TP each way and so does LHR-HEL. But what about MAD-KEF (I2 operated but can be booked on IB code for tier points) and AY KEF-HEL? They’re even longer than those BA routes.
Old Sep 14, 23, 4:26 pm

Nope. UK-HEL are the only ones (Edit: plus the two below I didn't know about!)

Last edited by Ldnn1; Sep 14, 23 at 4:48 pm
Old Sep 14, 23, 4:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Basically sh+ is BA only. There are only a few exceptions
- UK-HEL flights operated by AY
- UK-Morocco flights operated by RAM
- LHR-AMM operated by RJ
Old Sep 14, 23, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Basically sh+ is BA only. There are only a few exceptions
- UK-HEL flights operated by AY
- UK-Morocco flights operated by RAM
- LHR-AMM operated by RJ
Why are those exceptions, rather than there being a blanket rule for flights over a certain distance but below the 2000mi threshold for 140TP?
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by salut0
Why are those exceptions, rather than there being a blanket rule for flights over a certain distance but below the 2000mi threshold for 140TP?
Because it’s a commercial decision, not a set distance-based threshold. It has never been based purely on distance.
Cymro, KARFA and DiamondMile like this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:22 am

Actually LHR-AMM is an exception because it should rightly be 140TP as it’s well over 2000miles. Presumably it was only downgraded to 80 to match when the BA service was downgraded from CW to CE.
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Variation on a theme - Not forgetting AY on HEL-AGP, HEL-LIS and HEL-FNC being 140TPs…..
Old Sep 15, 23, 6:29 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Actually LHR-AMM is an exception because it should rightly be 140TP as it’s well over 2000miles. Presumably it was only downgraded to 80 to match when the BA service was downgraded from CW to CE.
As is Larnaca. Paphos is just under 2,000.
PlaneSpeaking likes this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As ever, trying to apply logic and reason to the airline industry can result in confusion. 😉
BA or bust and Howard Long like this.
Old Sep 15, 23, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The system for non-BA flights is different from BA flights. For non-BA, the criterion is distance (whether above or below 2K miles). FOr BA flights, it is the type of service: domestic and 'Euro' vs 'World' (i.e ET/CE vs WT/CW).
There is, however, an exception for flights operated by OW airlines other than BA, where the route is a euro-route for BA and the partner airline operates a route from a UK airport to the same remote station (UK-HEL flights for AY, UK-Morrocco flights for RAM, UK-Jordan flights for RJ). I guess the idea is not to award more TPs on a partner flights than would be awarded on a BA flight. So, there is a certain logic to it.
Old Sep 15, 23, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by NickB
There is, however, an exception for flights operated by OW airlines other than BA, where the route is a euro-route for BA and the partner airline operates a route from a UK airport to the same remote station (UK-HEL flights for AY, UK-Morrocco flights for RAM, UK-Jordan flights for RJ). I guess the idea is not to award more TPs on a partner flights than would be awarded on a BA flight. So, there is a certain logic to it.
You can see this very clearly if you compare AMM-CDG with AMM-LHR. In Business it's 140 to Paris, 80 to London.
Old Sep 15, 23, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickB
For BA flights, it is the type of service: domestic and 'Euro' vs 'World' (i.e ET/CE vs WT/CW).
Not quite true — fifth freedom Caribbean tag flights are WT/CW but the tag routes don’t get the full points (as far as I know, right?). This was changed for BAH-DOH back in the day when people used to do TP runs back and forth.

So it’s all about whom BA is directly competing with, rather than any logic? But presumably ba are trying to get people to book their own services where there’s a choice. So are there regulations about BA not being allowed to award other airlines fewer points on the same route than they award for that route?

Last edited by salut0; Sep 15, 23 at 9:04 am
Old Sep 15, 23, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Applewood
Variation on a theme - Not forgetting AY on HEL-AGP, HEL-LIS and HEL-FNC being 140TPs…..
I’ve never seen anything mentioned about HEL-FNC and I can’t find it when searching on Google Flights even though when you Google the route, it comes up as

Finnair 1731 HEL-FNC
8:55 am – 12:40 pm
Valid until Oct 29

Finnair 1732 FNC-HEL
1:40 pm – 9:15 pm

Is it some sort of seasonal charter, unbookable through usual channels? Maybe intuition or another Finnair board member might know.
Old Sep 15, 23, 9:20 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
its one day a week, flies on Mondays, available on the Finnair website
Attached Images  

Last edited by scottishpoet; Sep 15, 23 at 9:27 am
Old Sep 15, 23, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by salut0
Not quite true — fifth freedom Caribbean tag flights are WT/CW but the tag routes don’t get the full points (as far as I know, right?). This was changed for BAH-DOH back in the day when people used to do TP runs back and forth.
Not sure what you mean? Those are all very short hops which get the full 40 TPs that you'd expect for flights of that length. Did BAH-DOH ever get more than that?

The point about CW vs CE is only really relevant for the small grouping of mid-range flights which are around the 2000 mile mark, on the cusp between the two.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.