Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Complex ticket - won‘t permit online checkin

Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion

I know this is a third world problem. It is irritating though.

I have an AONE4 rtw ticket. The first few flights are on BA and it is ticketed by BA - and it has been amended a few times. Despite many efforts by many GGL line people doing their best to be helpful we cannot checkin online or using the app, either for the two flights we have flown or the one we are about to fly in 12 hours. On a browser the error message is „online checkin is not available“; on the app the error message is “sorry, we are unable to process your request”.

We have tried so far:-
  • clearing cookies
  • logging out and in again
  • Using different browsers
  • Deleting passport numbers and putting them in again
  • The kind GGL line person deleting the ticket numbers and putting them back in the booking
  • Sacrifices to Jupiter
The response from IT is “apologies”. The very kind lady at the GGL line whom I feel I now know personally thinks that online checkin frequently doesn’t work when there are other airlines’ flights in the booking - and this one does indeed have AA, AS, QF and JL flights. But it seems odd to me.

I know that life has more important problems in it but as much for interest as anything else I wonder if anyone has any thoughts. Maybe we should try sacrificing to Woden instead.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:43 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There is further information in the main "Why can't I check-in online" thread, but multiple airlines can cause this, particularly if there are 2 flights in a layover rather than a stopover. Particular routes and flight combinations also don't give OLCI but I presume the GGL agent was aware of this. It may well become available later, but as ever, it depends on the details.
hsmall likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold,, Chevalier d'Honneur des Muccis
Your problem is you are offering to the wrong god. It’s Athena you need… battle skills and wisdom. Its always a fight and you often need to think out of the box to navigate BA’s systems
Old Sep 12, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Ibthink ALTEA does not like on line check in if you have multiple airlines.

Some airlines that use it don't let you, instead giving a message you have to check in at the airport
Old Sep 12, 2023, 8:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is further information in the main "Why can't I check-in online" thread, but multiple airlines can cause this, particularly if there are 2 flights in a layover rather than a stopover. Particular routes and flight combinations also don't give OLCI but I presume the GGL agent was aware of this. It may well become available later, but as ever, it depends on the details.
Thank you. I didn’t - and should have done - look at that thread and will do so.

In the meantime the itinerary is, with all stopovers: HND-LHR-DXB-LHR-PMI-LHR-BGI-CLT-JFK-LAX-LAS-SEA-LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-HND
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: BA GGL For Life: Hilton Diamond: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by hsmall
Thank you. I didn’t - and should have done - look at that thread and will do so.

In the meantime the itinerary is, with all stopovers: HND-LHR-DXB-LHR-PMI-LHR-BGI-CLT-JFK-LAX-LAS-SEA-LAX-SYD-AKL-SYD-HND
Sounds like a wonderful itinerary! (and the maximum 16 segments used I see &#128513

I have done many similar RTWs in the past - most DONE4 rather than AONE4, although I have done a couple of those.

But I haven’t since Covid, and I was just wondering if RTW agrees have gone the same way as most other fares since the Pandemic?

Would it be indiscreet to ask what the fare was you paid ? (Also, if you researched it, the D class fare).

Am aware that the trip originated in Japan.

Obviously if you are not able to share I would quite understand.

As a footnote I remember when RTWs used to allow up to 20 sectors (when they were still paper tickets).

When they moved to e ticketing it reduced to 16 - “temporarily” it was said at the time until the e ticketing became 20 sector capable.

I’m still holding my breath on that one…
Old Sep 13, 2023, 1:43 am

Programs: BA Gold; Marriott Plat
I had similar recently, with an itinerary containing 6 flights on 4 airlines. No issue checking in at the airport thankfully.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hsmall

OK, so that's multiple tickets under a head ticket and so OLCI can't work - after the second ticket number it can't go back to the source. The bits that may work - so long as you haven't messed around with them too much - are the sectors under the AA (not BA) PNR since SABRE will only have a chunk of this. That said BGI isn't pre-clearance so almost certainly that won't OLCI on the AA app, the rest should do so.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 2:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Blast from the past… I believe bookings with over 8 (?) flights don’t allow OLCI. At least that was my experience. Once checked in at the airport, I was able to get the app to issue my BP.
Anonba likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by BA6501
Blast from the past… I believe bookings with over 8 (?) flights don’t allow OLCI. At least that was my experience. Once checked in at the airport, I was able to get the app to issue my BP.
I thought it was 12, but yes, OLCI breaks if there's a significant number of sectors in the PNR.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I thought it was 12, but yes, OLCI breaks if there's a significant number of sectors in the PNR.
Could very well be!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.