to be or not to be GoldGuestList member:

Old Sep 12, 23, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL+GfL;LH M&M FQTV ; SPG Gold ; A-Club Plat;HHonnors Diamond
to be or not to be GoldGuestList member:

after being appr. 9-10years GGL (my wife appr 9years) we have decided to let it go.

With being Gold(s) for Lifetime a relative easy decision:

Pros to leave GGL: the last 2 years no recognition of status on shorthaul flights at all.

Only once adressed by name (the last flight, short haul)

CCR access T5 not so much interesting, as VIE-flights moved again to T3

Redemption Jokers for GUF use: no use as for First Class Z and A is possible.

On my most important routes no more First Class ,especially GRU I am missing.

Pros to stay at GGL level: very nice GGL-team in Manchester.Many thanks for their years long

help and nice talks.

some times advantages when flying AA, Limo transfer to plane at JFK

T3 FC Lounge dining room available again and other Concorde Bars at

outstations.

My wife and I have decided that it is not worth anymore to go for GGL.

Normally we fly longhaul only in First Class.

Now we are open to all choices again.Just booked First Class flights with LH/LX to GRU.

We will continue to fly BA, but not anymore as prefered airline.

What really sucks at BA: No ground support for First Class.Sometimes busing from A10 at T5

Boarding groups + hand luggage checks at preferred boarding.

I am not ready to stay in front of the group 1-3 line just to enter

at the beginning.With flying First, it really gets ridiculous.(Recently at

DFW we, the First passengers had to defend our position to enter first,

very poor handled. (Maybe, it will get better with boarding group 0.)

best regards,

ettrich
Old Sep 12, 23, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
And with one flounce, there he was, gone...
Old Sep 12, 23, 11:10 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by bisonrav
And with one flounce, there he was, gone...
A completely unnecessary post which merely serves to further the already quite toxic atmosphere on this forum these days. Congratulations.
Old Sep 12, 23, 11:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Very interesting question

I dropped out of GGL as I had a year Gardening leave and the BAEC declined to extend my membership. I will soon be doing enough travel to get 3-4000tps but not enough to get 5k to requalify. Already have Gold for life and don't see myself getting to GGL for life (25k TPs short). So I no longer feel any need to be loyal to OW. It's quite liberating actually thinking I will just get whatever route works best irrespective of airline. The one thing I will miss is the GGL helpline which has been fabulous over very many years. My first few experiences of the Gold Helpline have been appalling in comparison. Routed to call centres in different parts of the world where the advisors have zero ability to get anything done. Worse than awful...
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 23, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
A completely unnecessary post which merely serves to further the already quite toxic atmosphere on this forum these days. Congratulations.
stop being so sensitive. Op literally titled the thread asking our thoughts on if they should be a GGL. In their essay, they answered their own question? And had obviously already decided to leave. So yes, in one flounce he was gone.
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 12, 23, 11:25 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, LTG
Very interesting question

I dropped out of GGL as I had a year Gardening leave and the BAEC declined to extend my membership. I will soon be doing enough travel to get 3-4000tps but not enough to get 5k to requalify. Already have Gold for life and don't see myself getting to GGL for life (25k TPs short). So I no longer feel any need to be loyal to OW. It's quite liberating actually thinking I will just get whatever route works best irrespective of airline. The one thing I will miss is the GGL helpline which has been fabulous over very many years. My first few experiences of the Gold Helpline have been appalling in comparison. Routed to call centres in different parts of the world where the advisors have zero ability to get anything done. Worse than awful...
Old Sep 12, 23, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I miss the jokers and the (then) prevalent upgrades. Rarely spoke to the GGL team. This predates the CCR access but im not a huge fan of it.

What you will discover is GfL renders you utterly anonymous.
Old Sep 12, 23, 12:56 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
Silver is where it's at.

Saladman and FlightDetective like this.
Old Sep 12, 23, 12:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Im about to be in the same boat.

Retired during Covid and my extended GGL card runs out at the end of the year.

Cant justify the tp runs to get to 3000 points. Lots of flying on Avios means I have not been accruing points.

I have GfL and I have just booked a ticket on SIA to Singapore. First non Oneworld flight in years.

I suspect that I will miss the GGL line who are very helpful.
brentford77 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 23, 1:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, SQ PPS Solitaire, EK Plat,
I have a month left before my year ends and I am still in two minds whether to earn the necessary TPs to keep it. I would never re-earn it at 5000TP because I prefer SQ/EK/AF etc. but I could re-qualify at the 3000TP mark each year. Objectively I know it isn't worth it to me to keep GGL if I am only flying BA Long Haul F anyway. I do like the phone line though which has frequently been useful to me. But still this nagging feeling not to lose it. Must be the marketing and the new group 0 boarding.
Pigeon49 likes this.
Old Sep 12, 23, 6:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Titanium ANA Plat

And yet you managed to do the exact thing that you complain about ! Priceless
SxMan, Saladman and lhrsfo like this.
Old Sep 13, 23, 2:52 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN4
And yet you managed to do the exact thing that you complain about ! Priceless
I am trying to point out such posts are off-putting, creating an atmosphere that especially discourages new posters from signing up. If you view that as unnecessary noise you've rather proved my point.
Old Sep 13, 23, 3:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, SQ PPS Solitaire, EK Plat,
As my grandmother used to say, and to paraphrase, if you've nothing nice to post, then don't bother. Also, misery loves company.
Don't be put off by bitter people who are stuck in one frequent flier program and can't escape.
LCY8737 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 23, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL+GfL;LH M&M FQTV ; SPG Gold ; A-Club Plat;HHonnors Diamond
If quoting negative aspects (I was also quoting the advantages I have been enjoying as GGL member) is toxic, then it may be so.

The thread was supposed to see other GGL member's opinions and sorry a little rant- BAs very poor ground support for First/GGL passengers, especially the group 1-3 boarding and cattle-busing are no goes.

And of course we are continuing to fly BA, as GfL, but with a choice (no necessity for hunting tier points)

best regards,
ettrich
SxMan likes this.
Old Sep 13, 23, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by dnajockey
Silver is where it's at.

Agreed! Though tbf we are recents (three months) converts to Silver so we have nothing to compare it with. But thoroughly happy with a lounge (and when youve never had one, a basic lounge is fine) at most places and being able to choose seats immediately.

GGL. Who needs it!!?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.