Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Blocked F/C Seats Become Available But Can't Change

Old Sep 8, 2023, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS

We are on BA 281 F LHR-LAX on 10/24/23 in seats 2A and 2K. I set up an alert on Expert Flyer if the better seats 1A and 1K became available. Received an email today from EF saying those seats became available. Signed into our reservation and the seat map shows them available but will not let me make the change. Called YouFirst and they said the seats are still blocked. Any ideas what the problem is here?
Old Sep 8, 2023, 7:18 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
I think there's something wrong with BA's IT. 1A and 1K are showing as available for oneworld Emerald on Expert Flyer but a dummy booking on BA.com won't let me choose one of them either. It should do.
JIMCHI likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 9:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum, FlyingBlue Gold, Hilton Gold, Chevalier d'Honneur des Muccis
Originally Posted by golfmad
I think there's something wrong with BA's IT
Really? Whoda thunked it
SP0, PAL62V, MatJarosz and 4 others like this.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
We are on BA 281 F LHR-LAX on 10/24/23 in seats 2A and 2K. I set up an alert on Expert Flyer if the better seats 1A and 1K became available. Received an email today from EF saying those seats became available. Signed into our reservation and the seat map shows them available but will not let me make the change. Called YouFirst and they said the seats are still blocked. Any ideas what the problem is here?
Do you hold Oneworld Emerald status?
If the flight is operated by certain aircraft types (77W and 380 from memory) then they won't be available for to you to select unless you hold Emerald status until online check-in opens T-24hrs.
Old Sep 8, 2023, 10:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Do you hold Oneworld Emerald status?
If the flight is operated by certain aircraft types (77W and 380 from memory) then they won't be available for to you to select unless you hold Emerald status until online check-in opens T-24hrs.
Yes, I am OW Emerald and it's shown in my BA reservation. Any idea how I can get this problem resolved before someone else takes these seats?
Old Sep 8, 2023, 11:05 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
This made me smile. solve this problem . I like changing seats like everyone else on here but sitting in row 1 or row 2 in first really is a first world problem !
BA or bust, Red L and 1Aturnleft like this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 2:36 am

BA281 is usually an 8F B77W. In my opinion 2A/K is much nicer than 1A/K on this aircraft, with better alignment of the windows. Not sure why you think row one is better?
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 4:21 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by spanishflea
BA281 is usually an 8F B77W. In my opinion 2A/K is much nicer than 1A/K on this aircraft, with better alignment of the windows. Not sure why you think row one is better?
I was going to say the same, as LAX generally is on the 8F 77Ws:
1. Wider space overall, as the cabin doesnt curve inwards towards the nose, as it does in Row 1
2. Less foot traffic
3. much better window alignment
4. further from the galley - dont think I ever hear anything from Row 2 but certainly Row 1 has been hit and miss. Less relevant given this is a daytime sector.

Some people like the prestige of selecting Row 1 but for me I find that the above facts matter if I had the choice of 1A/K or 2A/K on the 8F 77Ws.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Always row 2 over row1.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, I am OW Emerald and it's shown in my BA reservation. Any idea how I can get this problem resolved before someone else takes these seats?
Same for me 1A and 1K are blocked for me also on both my MIA flight and my return from BOS
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
This made me smile. “ solve this problem “. I like changing seats like everyone else on here but sitting in row 1 or row 2 in first really is a first world problem !
So I live in a first world country and presumably flying on a first world airline. If I want the first row and it's available I should be able to have it it. I sometimes see responses like yours, writing issues off as so trivial as not to be worthy of your time, and find them "snotty". and offensive. .
AJNEDC and Stripe like this.

Last edited by JIMCHI; Sep 9, 2023 at 10:12 am
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Always row 2 over row1.
Really ?? I always thought row 1 on this aircraft was preferable. BA seems to block it for some reason. Is there some reason row 2 is better ? Thanks !
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:44 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jeremyBA
This made me smile. solve this problem . I like changing seats like everyone else on here but sitting in row 1 or row 2 in first really is a first world problem !
More or less everything is a first world problem on FT, which shouldnt come as a surprise when you are participating in a frequent flyer forum.
sadiqhassan likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Too much going on at line of sight in row 1.
Old Sep 9, 2023, 10:59 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Silver/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
When flying in F on the 747 -- sadly a thing of the past -- then 1A and K versus the other seats made a world of difference and would have induced serious panic if I saw I could select them, and should be able to, but can't. Are they really that much better on the 777? In fact, I'd probably opt for row 2 in order to be further from the galley.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.