How to tell BA on the phone they are wrong

Old Sep 6, 23, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
How to tell BA on the phone they are wrong

Yes, I know HUACA but when you're an hour in for something that should be a couple of clicks online from a capable person......

Anyhow, booking JER LHR YUL / YUL LHR in WTP.

Difference in Avios is for 2 both ways is 150k and £280 extra in taxes. I'm being quoted over £1300 in taxes and 96k Avios. I'm pretty sure he is using the pre RFS pricing for J and charging the difference between my W RFS price.

I explained this to agent and he didn't know what I am talking about. He put me on hold again (25 mins ago) and am awaiting his response.

Last edited by kingcole974; Sep 6, 23 at 9:01 am
Old Sep 6, 23, 10:01 am
Original Poster

To update this, maybe I am wrong. If I am, then there is something seriously out of joint.

2 people upgrading LHR to YUL and return from WTP to CW
96,000 Avios
£1338.80

After a 90 minute call, disconnect and a call back. The agent said he had spoken to literally everyone and this price is correct. His tone suggested he was unsure and the amount of time he spent checking also suggests he doubted what he we was saying.

His suggestion was I ring gold line rather than BAH.

Would appreciate some input as to whether this sounds right and if not, what the best plan would be to secure the CW Avios seats at the right price.
Old Sep 6, 23, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Sorry to three post without a reply.

The answer is to use the online chat. In less than 10 minutes both outbound and return upgrade for £390 and 96,000 Avios.

I don't know where this figure came from but it's even better than the £140 and 150,000 I was expecting to pay.
RockyRobin likes this.
Old Sep 6, 23, 11:05 am

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Originally Posted by kingcole974
Sorry to three post without a reply.

The answer is to use the online chat. In less than 10 minutes both outbound and return upgrade for £390 and 96,000 Avios.

I don't know where this figure came from but it's even better than the £140 and 150,000 I was expecting to pay.
Glad you got a result
Old Sep 6, 23, 11:11 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
The whole avios redemption is a joke when you have to ring. Different agents quoting different amount of avios and charges. Very misleading and probably borderline fraud. Unfortunately all these years the regulators havenít done anything. Same when some people applying for UK261 and they come with all sorts of fake excuses. Anyway I am glad you seemed to paid the correct amount.
Old Sep 6, 23, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ermis177
Anyway I am glad you seemed to paid the correct amount.
I actually don't think I did. But at a 1p per Avios valuation and being nothing like an Avios millionaire I'm taking £390 and 96,000 as opposed to the £140 and the 150,000 I thought it should be.
Old Sep 6, 23, 12:47 pm

Golden rule is to get through to someone in the UK centre during UK hours for UUA. I've gone from quotes in the US/India call centres of 500 USD to upgrade to 1 quid and the Avios when speaking to UK. I have no idea why the non-UK centre's seem to be unable to calculate these properly.
Old Sep 6, 23, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
Golden rule is to get through to someone in the UK centre during UK hours for UUA. I've gone from quotes in the US/India call centres of 500 USD to upgrade to 1 quid and the Avios when speaking to UK. I have no idea why the non-UK centre's seem to be unable to calculate these properly.
Pretty simple, just less experience handling Executive Club/Avios bookings
Old Sep 6, 23, 1:01 pm

I am not sure if you are being sarcastic or no but the ďagentsĒ outside the U.K. donít have a clue. I had another cancellation (AA domestic flight cancelled) and the agent was trying to convince me that she can only book me with BA. I even gave her the new flights and she said she canít see them in her system. Anyway I HUCA a few times and I managed to get the flights. Amazing how an agent canít see a flight and another one can. I doubt they get any training apart from ďread the script on your screen and make up a policyĒÖ
Old Sep 6, 23, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Anonba
Pretty simple, just less experience handling Executive Club/Avios bookings
Most likely..I was under the impression it was largely automated, but perhaps not as much as the agents make it sound like when they say "I'm just going to plug this into the system and get a quote" while we sit making small talk about places to fly and the weather
Old Sep 6, 23, 1:19 pm

Most likely..I was under the impression it was largely automated, but perhaps not as much as the agents make it sound like when they say "I'm just going to plug this into the system and get a quote" while we sit making small talk about places to fly and the weather
It depends, if you have a straightforward itinerary that is completely unflown and never been reissued the reservation system can price this automatically. If it doesnt work then you have to go to a calculator which gives you the full Avios values for a oneway journey and make sure you choose the Pre-RFS option for UUA. Then do the maths yourself. Not too difficult but it introduces the element of human error.

Last edited by Anonba; Sep 6, 23 at 2:04 pm
Old Sep 6, 23, 1:48 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life
Originally Posted by ermis177
The whole avios redemption is a joke when you have to ring. Different agents quoting different amount of avios and charges. Very misleading and probably borderline fraud. Unfortunately all these years the regulators havenít done anything. Same when some people applying for UK261 and they come with all sorts of fake excuses. Anyway I am glad you seemed to paid the correct amount.
Surely to be fraudulent, you have to know what you re doing? Your posts suggest that you don't think they do.
Old Sep 6, 23, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Surely to be fraudulent, you have to know what you re doing? Your posts suggest that you don't think they do.
It can be always something in between. Thatís why I used the word borderline
ttama likes this.
Old Sep 6, 23, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Anything simple is automated, but you'd be surprised at how manual some things are.

The manual elements sometimes are as basic as "write the figures on a piece of paper and calculate it yourself".

Not at all surprised at the variances. Fares and Avios and taxes are all exceedingly complex (26 fare buckets, each a different price, taxes change depending on travel class in the UK, and so on).
TTmex likes this.
Old Sep 6, 23, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Anything simple is automated, but you'd be surprised at how manual some things are.

The manual elements sometimes are as basic as "write the figures on a piece of paper and calculate it yourself".

Not at all surprised at the variances. Fares and Avios and taxes are all exceedingly complex (26 fare buckets, each a different price, taxes change depending on travel class in the UK, and so on).
As per my post above if the ticket hasnt been changed before and is unflown the reservation system can quote UUA automatically. We put the flight in the required booking class choose option for UUA and the system quotes the tax and Avios. Only if this doesnt work does then require a manual quote.
TTmex and PETER01 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.