Removed from plane and kicked out of 1F

Old Sep 6, 2023, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Removed from plane and kicked out of 1F

I have just had a vaguely similar issue but not quite the same…

checked in for Heathrow to malpensa flight (BA572). I had bought ticket months ago and I am a Cathay diamond member (one world emerald). I had been assigned 1F automatically by BA.

checked in at first class checkin in T5. Checked 2 bags in and got my boarding pass.

went through security where my boarding pass was scanned twice. Once by lady with hand scanner and then once in the auto barrier. No issues.

went to lounge and then went to gate.

tried to board with group 1 at automated gate and was told there was an issue…queued up to speak to the gate attendant (big queue as they were gate checking lots of luggage for group 4 people due to broken overhead bins).

she scanned my boarding pass and told me “you have been removed from the plane” !!?

She asks if I had any issue with Security. Absolutely not…boarding pass scanned twice with zero issue..

she picks up the phone asks someone “is it ok for me to put him back on” seemingly the person says yes and she quickly hangs up and puts me back on the plane. Then she tells me “oh, your old seat has been taken so which seat do you want…”

so I end up in 7C which happens to be one of the seats with the broken overhead bins (perhaps why they hadn’t assigned anyone else!?).

I get on plane and I see someone in 1D but presume 1F passenger hasn’t got on yet…so I go back to
my seat…but now I can see that there is only 1 passenger in those 2 seats and it’s the person who was sitting in 1D (who has now moved to sit in 1F).

Anyone experienced being removed from the plane like this!? The gate staff didn’t seem to think it was super weird saying “it’s usually because your pass didn’t scan properly at security” or was I connecting from another flight…no…I checked in about 1.5 hours before my flight…

i am now very worried that my bags will not be on the plane although she assured me that now I was on the plane they would be…

oddly I noticed and didn’t really pay attention that my original boarding pass had 0/0 bags written at the bottom….I thought weird but didnt really know what it meant as I don’t fly BA often….on my new boarding pass printed at gate I don’t have anything about bags written at the bottom. My bags were checked at the same time as I checked in at first class.

I do have the bag tags and the booking reference printed on boarding pass and tags is the same but the whole thing seemed very weird.

have never experienced anything like this ever. Just calmly being told at the gate “you have been removed from the plane with zero explanation”.

I get that I’m not a BA club member so I guess they don’t care about me but found the whole experience chaotic and crazy with pretty poor service considering I’m one world emerald and I was paying for club Europe.

bizarre…
ttama likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I would say this looks like a Ready to Fly glitch from the evidence provided. People get offloaded automatically if they are not deemed airside 35 minutes to departure, and they have been having intermittent problems with the scanner points outside security this week. So in the First Wing it's the automated barrier after the BA staffed checkpoint and before the queue for security. Just as well you weren't travelling domestically. I do wonder if BA's IT capacity issues are disturbing the data feed to Ready to Fly. The seat switch came from that, we often advise people not to attempt going to the T3 lounges for this reason......

So it's definitely different to the SOF case reported yesterday. I'm not surprised that the gate agent was nonplussed because duriing irrops it's quite frequent as people get bumped from one flight to another while airside.

Another cause, incidentally, is if there is a last minute hold on the ticket, for example someone attempts to block their credit card just before payment - a factor on very late bookings before departure. For redemptions it could be if Cathay for some reason unticketed you, but that's not likely, whereas we know of problems with the RtF scanner.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would say this looks like a Ready to Fly glitch from the evidence provided. People get offloaded automatically if they are not deemed airside 35 minutes to departure, and they have been having intermittent problems with the scanner points outside security this week. So in the First Wing it's the automated barrier after the BA staffed checkpoint and before the queue for security. Just as well you weren't travelling domestically. I do wonder if BA's IT capacity issues are disturbing the data feed to Ready to Fly. The seat switch came from that, we often advise people not to attempt going to the T3 lounges for this reason......

So it's definitely different to the SOF case reported yesterday. I'm not surprised that the gate agent was nonplussed because duriing irrops it's quite frequent as people get bumped from one flight to another while airside.

Another cause, incidentally, is if there is a last minute hold on the ticket, for example someone attempts to block their credit card just before payment - a factor on very late bookings before departure. For redemptions it could be if Cathay for some reason unticketed you, but that's not likely, whereas we know of problems with the RtF scanner.
ok, thanks so much for that info.

ticket was paid for months ago so I don’t think it’s credit card issue and can’t imagine why Cathay would do anything as I booked direct on BA website.

sounds like scanner issue then. I just really hope my bags are on the plane….will find out in next 30 mins…
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
All sounds very stressful, I hope you asked if you could move back to 1F, or at least 1D as it seems most unfair that you were booted out of there.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 6:13 am
Original Poster

To be honest I found the whole BA experience to be chaotic and messy. Not enough gate staff. Checking tons of cabin bags at the gate…not really any priority for emerald you are just stuffed into “group 1” which had like 55 people in it. No apology for kicking me out of my seat and giving me a much worse seat with a broken bin…

in the end I didn’t have the old boarding pass to prove and the cabin staff probably had no clue and it was a short flight so I just sat in 7C and quietly panicked about whether my bags were on the plane. I needed all the gear in the bags and so literally if there had been any delay in getting me them I may have had to cancel the entire purpose of my trip..

thankfully I’m just out of airport and have the bags..

overall I just found the whole BA experience to remind me why I hate flying BA and despite me getting very annoyed with the post-Covid service from Cathay I’m thankful I don’t have to fly BA often 😂

anyway, got them all and very thankful I’m on Cathay flight direct back to Hong Kong from malpensa on my way back.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:24 am

i think i'm just going to avoid seat 1F from now on regardless of who i'm flying with
Bluekjp, ENTP, ZenFlyer and 10 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by htran88
i think i'm just going to avoid seat 1F from now on regardless of who i'm flying with
I'm with you. I'm just going to book seats in the rear and head straight to the back of the plane.
StingWest, DXB2745 and scolbath like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC
Don’t know if it’s related, but on a recent flight with my bf, he scanned his pass at the scanner just before the security belts but I didn’t.

Then at the gate, I went first with no problem and promptly strode towards the plane, whilst he was held up by the agent. They needed to check that all of our party [the 2 of us] were properly airside and ready to board etc.

Turns out it was because I’d not scanned my bp at security. Never happened to me before, but I’ll definitely be scanning my pass at security from now on.

And, yes, we had checked in luggage, and arrived at the airport in plenty of time etc.
T8191 and becks1 like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
It's KARFA 's seat. It's burned into the BA silicon now.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by bafan
Turns out it was because I’d not scanned my bp at security. Never happened to me before, but I’ll definitely be scanning my pass at security from now on.

And, yes, we had checked in luggage, and arrived at the airport in plenty of time etc.
Interesting info! The extra scan at Security at LHR is not exactly prominent, presumingly requiring another member of staff to get you to do it. I know both of us have, in the past, ignored "yet another bloody scan". We will be good in the future, despite having our hands full getting ready to load the trays!
bafan likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 12:58 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
To be clear, the scan in question is the one at the entrance to North, South and First Wing, so with a clear gap between the gate and the queuing area. The scans at the security trays are for statistical purposes. Normally you cannot miss the first scan, the gate won't open, but as I say there have been issues in the last few days.
T8191, becks1, KARFA and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:07 pm

To be clear, the scan in question is the one at the entrance to North, South and First Wing, so with a clear gap between the gate and the queuing area. The scans at the security trays are for statistical purposes. Normally you cannot miss the first scan, the gate won't open, but as I say there have been issues in the last few days.
To be clear, I was referring to the supposed ‘statistical’ scan - we had both scanned to get entry to the security area, and there wasn’t an issue with that (as far as I know). But he definitely did the stats scan, and I refused, thinking I knew better…

Last edited by bafan; Sep 6, 2023 at 1:10 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:11 pm

. The seat switch came from that, we often advise people not to attempt going to the T3 lounges for this reason......
Help me understand this (as a frequent frequenter of the cathay T3 lounge while on a 'T3 BA' ticket) - are you saying that the liklihood of being deemed not fit to fly / meeting conformance is dependent on the scan in the lounge? Or is it more to do with trying to change terminals?
Old Sep 6, 2023, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by decowie1903
Help me understand this (as a frequent frequenter of the cathay T3 lounge while on a 'T3 BA' ticket) - are you saying that the liklihood of being deemed not fit to fly / meeting conformance is dependent on the scan in the lounge? Or is it more to do with trying to change terminals?
This relates to those endeavouring to use T3 on a T5 boarding pass. There are various hurdles, and none of the regular commentators here recommend you do this. But on your return to T5 your boarding pass gets checked on arrival, and found to be out of sync with Ready to Fly. Fixing this can take between 1 minute and 1 hour, and in the process one may have to be re-seated. If the flight is on a standby queue, your seat then goes to a standby passenger.
becks1 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by bafan
To be clear, I was referring to the supposed ‘statistical’ scan - we had both scanned to get entry to the security area, and there wasn’t an issue with that (as far as I know). But he definitely did the stats scan, and I refused, thinking I knew better…
I've flown out of LHR probably 100 times and don't think I've ever done the stats scan. I barely even notice it's there and never been directed to it by staff.
Gastrocnemius likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.