How long will I have BA status for?

Old Sep 2, 2023, 3:59 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 37
Question How long will I have BA status for?

Hello everyone, my TP year end date is 8/11, card end date 31/12

I have some trips booked from 9/11 to 17/12 which should accumulate sufficient points for BA Silver

Just a sanity check question, but if I take enough trips to accumulate TP for Silver, am I correct in saying that I will have BA Silver through to 08/11/25?

I just want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly!

Thank you
LILABOS
Life is like a box of Sharklets is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:06 am
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Posts: 17,751
Originally Posted by Life is like a box of Sharklets
Hello everyone, my TP year end date is 8/11, card end date 31/12

I have some trips booked from 9/11 to 17/12 which should accumulate sufficient points for BA Silver

Just a sanity check question, but if I take enough trips to accumulate TP for Silver, am I correct in saying that I will have BA Silver through to 08/11/25?

I just want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly!

Thank you
LILABOS
Hi,

Yes that works
( in fact if you did not fly with BA, you would still have silver benefits until Dec 2025 ( membership year for qualifying ends in 8th Nov but card benefits end in Dec)
Regards

TBS

PS Remember about the 4 BA ( or IB) qualifying flights requriement as bisonrav mentioned

Last edited by The _Banking_Scot; Sep 2, 2023 at 4:16 am
The _Banking_Scot is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:11 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Posts: 5,334
Assuming there are 4 BA flights in the bookings of course
bisonrav is online now  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:15 am
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 37
This is great

Thank you @the_Banking_Scot for replying so quickly!

LILABOS
Life is like a box of Sharklets is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 4:16 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by bisonrav
Assuming there are 4 BA flights in the bookings of course
Hi there, yes they're all BA flights marketed/operated/ticketed - 6 in total.
m8_rotate likes this.
Life is like a box of Sharklets is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 5:40 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
Posts: 4,116
31/12/25 and welcome to the status until 2025 club . Only people who fly too much immediately after the end of their TP collection year need apply .
crazy8534 is online now  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:10 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 270
Could I ask a question to make sure I get the maths here?

Is his because the OP will technically drop down to bronze post 8th Nov, but will retain their silver status until the end of Dec.

Then, earning back up to silver in that month or so will mean it's actually a tier level advancement, and therefore they'll qualify for the rest of that year - until Nov/Dec '24. And then the next whole year after - to Nov/Dec '25?
jonr405 likes this.
AviationMoose is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:23 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: ABZ
Programs: BAEC, HHonors, Bonvoy, Accor
Posts: 56
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
Could I ask a question to make sure I get the maths here?

Is his because the OP will technically drop down to bronze post 8th Nov, but will retain their silver status until the end of Dec.

Then, earning back up to silver in that month or so will mean it's actually a tier level advancement, and therefore they'll qualify for the rest of that year - until Nov/Dec '24. And then the next whole year after - to Nov/Dec '25?
Correct
BA or bust and jonr405 like this.
churchy is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:48 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,680
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
Could I ask a question to make sure I get the maths here?

Is his because the OP will technically drop down to bronze post 8th Nov, but will retain their silver status until the end of Dec.

Then, earning back up to silver in that month or so will mean it's actually a tier level advancement, and therefore they'll qualify for the rest of that year - until Nov/Dec '24. And then the next whole year after - to Nov/Dec '25?
Not really. There's no technically dropping down to bronze here. OP will be Silver until end of Dec whatever happens - the membership year always runs until month after the TP collection year.

Then on getting Silver until 31 Dec 2025 from the TPs earned post 9 Nov 23, that would happen regardless of whether OP was bronze/silver/gold already.

Where the current status is relevant is that they will get the Silver bonus avios and status benefits for their trip in November, whereas if they waited until Jan, then they would be bronze and would only get bronze avios and benefits for the trip then. And if they did the trip before 9 Nov, it would still be in current TP year so they would only get status until Dec 2024.

So the trip as planned is very much the sweet spot time to do it.
BA or bust, crazy8534 and etiene like this.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:26 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 270
I perhaps phrased badly re: the dropping down to bronze; I appreciate the status level would have extended until the end of Dec '23 regardless.

But how does the 'whole of the next year' thing come into play here if there isn't some sort of technical status drop going on behind the scenes? As you say, if those flights were before the OP's tier point collection year end they would only renew the status until the end of Dec '24.

So isn't what's happening that the status remains in place until Dec '23, but if they didn't do those flights they'd officially drop down to bronze in Jan '24? However, doing those flights re-silvers them until the end of '24, and because it's also (again, behind the scenes) an in-year uplift from bronze to silver, they then also retain that until the end of '24 and to the end of '25? It's the movement in tier that adds the extra year, isn't it; not simply requalifying?
AviationMoose is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:33 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 8,680
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
I perhaps phrased badly re: the dropping down to bronze; I appreciate the status level would have extended until the end of Dec '23 regardless.

But how does the 'whole of the next year' thing come into play here if there isn't some sort of technical status drop going on behind the scenes? As you say, if those flights were before the OP's tier point collection year end they would only renew the status until the end of Dec '24.

So isn't what's happening that the status remains in place until Dec '23, but if they didn't do those flights they'd officially drop down to bronze in Jan '24? However, doing those flights re-silvers them until the end of '24, and because it's also (again, behind the scenes) an in-year uplift from bronze to silver, they then also retain that until the end of '24 and to the end of '25? It's the movement in tier that adds the extra year, isn't it; not simply requalifying?
Nope, it's always the case - regardless of current/previous status - that when you earn status in a TP year, you get that status for:

- the whole of the remaining current TP year
AND
- the whole of the following membership year

Essentially if you earn at the start of a TP year, you get 2 years worth of status. So say you get 600 TPs on 9 Nov 2023 (first day of new TP year), that will secure you Silver until 31 Dec 2025.
Ldnn1 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:20 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Programs: BAEC Silver
Posts: 270
You know... I don't know why it took me so long to get there. But I get you, thanks.

I think it's because I tend to end up running close to my renewal point by virtue of when in the year I fly, so it never feels like it's for the next year; it feels more like a rolling thing than a block edging up to 2 years.
AviationMoose is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:30 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: clue is in the nym
Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 802
Originally Posted by AviationMoose
I perhaps phrased badly re: the dropping down to bronze; I appreciate the status level would have extended until the end of Dec '23 regardless.

But how does the 'whole of the next year' thing come into play here if there isn't some sort of technical status drop going on behind the scenes? As you say, if those flights were before the OP's tier point collection year end they would only renew the status until the end of Dec '24.
OP has given no indication that they are already Silver prior to 9th November, merely that they will fly and accumulate enough points for Silver after that date and before 31st December 2023. Presuming the OP is indeed 'levelling up' from Blue or Bronze to Silver they will receive Silver status benefits until 31st December 2025 and this will be reflected in the 'card expiry' date shown on their BAEC account and in the App.

So isn't what's happening that the status remains in place until Dec '23, but if they didn't do those flights they'd officially drop down to bronze in Jan '24? However, doing those flights re-silvers them until the end of '24, and because it's also (again, behind the scenes) an in-year uplift from bronze to silver, they then also retain that until the end of '24 and to the end of '25? It's the movement in tier that adds the extra year, isn't it; not simply requalifying?
In the circumstance wherein the OP is already Silver at 8th November and accumulates a further 600 points and 4 BA sectors from 9th November to requalify for Silver before 31st December 2023 they will also be eligible to receive Silver benefits until 31st December 2025 however because there has been no interim 'downgrade' to Bronze (which in this example would happen on 1st January 2024) BA's IT does not recognise the activity as a 'requalification' but as a 'retention' and the BAEC account and App will incorrectly show a 'card expiry' of 31st December 2024 instead of 2025.

In previous discussion on here it has been stated that at the following Tier Point anniversary (i.e. 8th November 2024) BA's IT will catch this error and amend the card expiry date to the correct date of 31st December 2025.
southlondonphil is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 10:48 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Programs: BA Exec Club, Accor Diamond, other airline programmes very basic
Posts: 190
Originally Posted by Life is like a box of Sharklets
Hello everyone, my TP year end date is 8/11, card end date 31/12

I have some trips booked from 9/11 to 17/12 which should accumulate sufficient points for BA Silver

Just a sanity check question, but if I take enough trips to accumulate TP for Silver, am I correct in saying that I will have BA Silver through to 08/11/25?

I just want to make sure that I'm doing this correctly!

Thank you
LILABOS
I was reading the OP's question as they won't have enough points to reach/maintain silver by the time their teir point year ends on 8/11 (at which point their TPs will be reset to zero). Flights taken between 9/11 and 17/12 would get them silver on 17/12 only if during that period they had attained a further 600 TPs. Happy to stand corrected though if I have misunderstood.
BarelyBAGold is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 5:43 pm
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 37
Sorry about that, I should have mentioned that I am already BA Silver now, but I did not know about the two year status thing until very recently

So, now that I know, I aim to remedy this at the beginning of my new TP year

Thanks again for responding everyone
Life is like a box of Sharklets is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.