BA --> CZ connection + lounge question

Old Sep 1, 2023, 8:55 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DTW
Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Posts: 65
BA --> CZ connection + lounge question

Currently sitting in YYZ because of a delay for BA098. I'm missing my BA -> BA connection so they put me on BA->CZ. Not having ever transitted LHR before it looks like we can stay airside connecting from T5 to T4. I'm curious if anyone knows which lounge we'll have access to. Looks like OW has a qatar lounge in T4 but with CZ not officially in OW I'm not sure if my OW emerald status gets me in. I'm thinking maybe showing my BA boarding pass from Toronto?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
cyb2888 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2023, 9:17 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,512
The Qatar Premium lounge at Terminal 4 operates outside of the Oneworld lounge access policy and is designated for QR First and Business Class passengers only. You won't be gaining access there without a QR J or F boarding pass. There is also a separate QR Frequent Traveller lounge which is accessible to OW Elites travelling on a departing Oneworld flight however as China Eastern aren't a Oneworld member I doubt you would be eligible for entry.

China Eastern subscribe to the Plaza Premium lounge in Terminal 4 which by all accounts isn't a bad lounge so this is where you should be heading for on arrival at T4.
cyb2888 and PES_B1 like this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Sep 1, 2023 at 9:23 pm
1Aturnleft is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2023, 9:27 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: BAH/DMM, DFW, HYD
Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Marriott Platinum
Posts: 81
CZ is China Southern, not China Eastern.

I'm going to assume you are traveling in Y and not J/F. If your onward flight is operated by CZ, it is unlikely QR will let you into their Frequent Flyer lounge (for OWE/OWS) since — as you have noted — CZ is not a member of oneworld, and your oneworld Emerald status is basically irrelevant for a CZ flight. Your arriving BA boarding pass will not be of help, since the QR lounges in T4 grant access based on departure. Long story short, you may be out of luck, though you can try and explain your situation to the QR lounge agent and see if they'll let you in as an exception.

If you have Priority Pass, you can use the Plaza Premium lounge.
cyb2888 and PES_B1 like this.
baflyer2 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2023, 9:30 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DTW
Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Posts: 65
Sorry for not clarifying. I'm in J. (Thank god). Yes china souther. Not eastern.

Thank you for the info on the plaza premium lounge. I'm in one of those at YYZ and it is perfectly acceptable. I haven't heard amazing things about galleries F lounge in terminal 5 but I'm considering maybe hanging out there for a bit. We have a 7+ hour layover because of this crazy delay.

Sorry one more stupid question. EU261 is applicable if the delay at the final destination is greater than 5 hours or delay at each leg is greater than 5 hours. I believe we're owed 600 euro each for the whole trip not per leg correct?
cyb2888 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:23 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2022
Programs: BAEC Gold | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Posts: 149
Originally Posted by cyb2888
EU261 is applicable if the delay at the final destination is greater than 5 hours or delay at each leg is greater than 5 hours. I believe we're owed 600 euro each for the whole trip not per leg correct?
The 2023 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261 / UK261

Quite a helpful thread for EU261 inquiries.
cyb2888 likes this.
JCT001 is offline  
Old Sep 1, 2023, 10:33 pm
  #6  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 44,355
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
The Qatar Premium lounge at Terminal 4 operates outside of the Oneworld lounge access policy and is designated for QR First and Business Class passengers only. You won't be gaining access there without a QR J or F boarding pass.
It soesn't help the OP, but the QR lounge will allow passengers of other OW airlines travelling 1st or business class; it doesn't have to be QR.

I would be very surprised if the China Southern doesn't provide lounge access for its business class passengers
Dave Noble is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:13 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Krakow
Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Posts: 5,601
Originally Posted by cyb2888
I haven't heard amazing things about galleries F lounge in terminal 5 but I'm considering maybe hanging out there for a bit.
Since you no longer have a flight from t5 you t5 boarding pass will not work so you will not get into the t5 departures area.

T5 first lounge is off the table, sorry
scottishpoet is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 1:33 am
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DTW
Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Posts: 65
Thanks everyone. I'm learning a ton about LHR. I appreciate it! I'll stick with flying through Asia after this lol.
cyb2888 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 2:47 am
  #9  
jmd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Jersey
Programs: BAEC gold
Posts: 495
With a 7 hour+ layover, I would personally look at booking a day room at either the T4 Hilton or the Crowne Plaza hotel (both are connected directly to LHR Terminal 4 by a walkway, so no shuttle buses). There are often good deals to be had at both hotels, and you will be able to relax properly/have a shower and a meal etc

Even if you stay airside to transit at LHR you would still need to reclear security, so the only difference with going landside would be the need to clear immigration as well.
jmd is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 6:07 am
  #10  
formerly rt23456p
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,201
Are you flying to PKX? It's worth noting that the CZ flight from PKX to LHR routes through Russia, which saves about 3 hours. If you're not pleased with this, you might be able to request BA to place you on a different flight.

The A359 on CZ is impressive, especially for intercontinental J service. I'm not sure if CZ's Chair, Accountant Ma, has finally acknowledged their previous absurd WiFi availability across the fleet (only available on the 330 and 787) and decided to install WiFi on their 350s.

Last edited by PES_B1; Sep 2, 2023 at 6:45 am
PES_B1 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:28 am
  #11  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DTW
Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by jmd
With a 7 hour+ layover, I would personally look at booking a day room at either the T4 Hilton or the Crowne Plaza hotel (both are connected directly to LHR Terminal 4 by a walkway, so no shuttle buses). There are often good deals to be had at both hotels, and you will be able to relax properly/have a shower and a meal etc

Even if you stay airside to transit at LHR you would still need to reclear security, so the only difference with going landside would be the need to clear immigration as well.
Normally I would agree but my wife is a Chinese national so she needs a visa to enter the UK otherwise I would 100% have done that. Thanks for the input regardless. Got through security which was annoying but easy enough and the premium lounge guys were annoyingly dismissive about the fact that we were only allowed to enter 3 hours before boarding but then when I came back later asking about whether that applies because we're connecting they just waived us in. Very apathetic.
jmd likes this.
cyb2888 is offline  
Old Sep 2, 2023, 11:31 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: DTW
Programs: SPG Plat (RIP), Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by PES_B1
Are you flying to PKX? It's worth noting that the CZ flight from PKX to LHR routes through Russia, which saves about 3 hours. If you're not pleased with this, you might be able to request BA to place you on a different flight.

The A359 on CZ is impressive, especially for intercontinental J service. I'm not sure if CZ's Chair, Accountant Ma, has finally acknowledged their previous absurd WiFi availability across the fleet (only available on the 330 and 787) and decided to install WiFi on their 350s.
Yes we are flying into PKX. Yes I noticed something was odd when their flight duration was so much shorter than BA's. The only other option is to wait a day and my wife can't enter the UK since she's a Chinese national and would need a visa which we didn't get because we had no plans on being here longer than 3 hours. It is unfortunate that we're flying over Russia and if I was by myself I'd definitely take the overnight. The A350 is exciting. Not a lot of reviews on it by the usual bloggers so I'm going in with relatively no expectations and it's been a while since I wasn't read up on a business class product I'm flying on.
cyb2888 is offline  
Old Dec 12, 2023, 6:56 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: FRA/SXB
Programs: FB Gold
Posts: 1,837
BA recognition of CZ benefits

Travelling in a few days on a ticket with CZ. Originates in FRA with the first leg operated by BA.

Although CZ left Skyteam years ago, it continues to recognise the benefits of certain ST flyers with status such as Flying Blue, such as the additional baggage allowance and Priority. But given my first leg is operated by BA to LHR before continuing on CZ, would the staff at BA (particularly an outstation) know this ?
mlin32 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.