Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

PMI cancellation 27 Aug : difficulties getting replacement flights

PMI cancellation 27 Aug : difficulties getting replacement flights

Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
I really lucked out. My 19:55 back to LHR was cancelled as I arrived to the airport. Everyone else in the group was going to LCY and at least had 12 hours notice to get a replacement on easyJet. By the time I had a go, there was nothing until Thursday. Managed to book myself a 1400 ticket on Tuesday via BRU on SN. Luckily I got a fully refundable ticket and by some miracle I noticed last nights 2881 to LGW was actually on sale on the app. Called GGL line and he put me on that, even though it was listed as cancelled. Very odd in that it was cancelled and replaced by a new flight with the same number today. But in some places it was just noted as delayed. Anyway, looks like Ill make it and salvage my DUB-PHX trip.

Wont bore you with all the hotel, taxi and bus adventures, but my glasses got blown clean off my face last night. Never seen anything like this in 20 years here.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:45 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by cameramaker
Lets not blame this on the weather. BA have ravaged the PMI schedule at short notice for at least the past 10 days.

Meanwhile they have a fleet of aircraft sat in Madrid that they intend to get rid of and a staff reward package still severely degraded from pre-Covid. This is a mess 100% of BAs making.
Palma had the most appalling storm - I spoke to a friend there on Sunday and she had never seen the like in 20 years - least of all in August. PMI airport has had so many issues and it is quite likely that this did not help matters. What aircraft sitting in Madrid have to do with the price of fish I do not know. They would have stayed in Madrid as most else had to land elsewhere.

This is always the problem with islands and especially at this crux time where people are ending their holidays and are due to start work and school begins in France and the UK next Monday - one is literally stranded. I feel very sorry for them.
jmd, adrianlondon and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 5:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by RichieMc
I really lucked out. My 19:55 back to LHR was cancelled as I arrived to the airport. Everyone else in the group was going to LCY and at least had 12 hours notice to get a replacement on easyJet. By the time I had a go, there was nothing until Thursday. Managed to book myself a 1400 ticket on Tuesday via BRU on SN. Luckily I got a fully refundable ticket and by some miracle I noticed last nights 2881 to LGW was actually on sale on the app. Called GGL line and he put me on that, even though it was listed as cancelled. Very odd in that it was cancelled and replaced by a new flight with the same number today. But in some places it was just noted as delayed. Anyway, looks like Ill make it and salvage my DUB-PHX trip.

Wont bore you with all the hotel, taxi and bus adventures, but my glasses got blown clean off my face last night. Never seen anything like this in 20 years here.
As I tend to go to PMI at least 2-3 times a year I would be interested to hear at least a short summary of your troubles... given how difficult it is to get a taxi out of Placa de la Reina as soon as three drops of rain fall...
RichieMc likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Duck1981
As I tend to go to PMI at least 2-3 times a year I would be interested to hear at least a short summary of your troubles... given how difficult it is to get a taxi out of Placa de la Reina as soon as three drops of rain fall...
Ok. Ive been living here off and on for a few years. Spent whole pandemic here so I know what weather can be like. This was something Ive never seen before. Quite glad we cancelled the mornings ride plan!

Dropped car off around 18:30. And got Flightaware message it was cancelled. BA message came through aroind 19:30 😂. Called GGL and they had nothing for days. Suggested I go to desk and see about standby (lolz). Spent a couple of hours sitting on floor trying to get options. Eventually got Tuesday morning PMI-BRU-LHR on SN. Was a real hassle getting between departures and ground floor and at one point I decided against waiting for lift and just walked back to the parking. Thats when my glasses got blown off. Ffs. Oh, and I left my fashion sunglasses (prescription) in the hotel so now walking round the airport in Oakleys like the flipping Terminator. Booked Iberostar on the beach just south of the airport on hotel tonight for 300. Spent 20 mins in taxi queue and got to hotel. They said there were no rooms and it was a mistake. So booked some ridiculous suite in town for 600. Taxi wouldnt take me to Palma, even offered 100 and she just laughed. So saved myself 98 and took the bus. Had to walk for 10 minutes. And I had to carry my rolly case as it kept getting stuck on leaves and branches. Was 11pm at this point so went to McDs. I just happened to moon at Ba app and saw they were selling seats on the 23:35 2881 so called GGL again and he put me on that.

That flight was indicated to leave just after 12 noon. But the incoming is here but no invocation of actual boarding. Seems its not very full as no one really knew if it was actually operating so speculation is its now waiting to get some additional pax affected by the cancellations.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Ok. Ive been living here off and on for a few years. Spent whole pandemic here so I know what weather can be like. This was something Ive never seen before. Quite glad we cancelled the mornings ride plan!

Dropped car off around 18:30. And got Flightaware message it was cancelled. BA message came through aroind 19:30 😂. Called GGL and they had nothing for days. Suggested I go to desk and see about standby (lolz). Spent a couple of hours sitting on floor trying to get options. Eventually got Tuesday morning PMI-BRU-LHR on SN. Was a real hassle getting between departures and ground floor and at one point I decided against waiting for lift and just walked back to the parking. Thats when my glasses got blown off. Ffs. Oh, and I left my fashion sunglasses (prescription) in the hotel so now walking round the airport in Oakleys like the flipping Terminator. Booked Iberostar on the beach just south of the airport on hotel tonight for 300. Spent 20 mins in taxi queue and got to hotel. They said there were no rooms and it was a mistake. So booked some ridiculous suite in town for 600. Taxi wouldnt take me to Palma, even offered 100 and she just laughed. So saved myself 98 and took the bus. Had to walk for 10 minutes. And I had to carry my rolly case as it kept getting stuck on leaves and branches. Was 11pm at this point so went to McDs. I just happened to moon at Ba app and saw they were selling seats on the 23:35 2881 so called GGL again and he put me on that.

That flight was indicated to leave just after 12 noon. But the incoming is here but no invocation of actual boarding. Seems its not very full as no one really knew if it was actually operating so speculation is its now waiting to get some additional pax affected by the cancellations.
Thanks!

Just to add, I believe you might have received a BBC breaking news notification about a major NATS outage just now...
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981
Thanks!

Just to add, I believe you might have received a BBC breaking news notification about a major NATS outage just now...
EDIT: When in PMI I mostly stay in Son Vida, don't want to know how the golf course looks today!
RichieMc likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:00 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Was booked LHR/Pmi yesterday had to wait four hours only to be told it was cancelled due to weather, got back home around 9 pm and was rebooked out of LGW. Same story but it seems no flights are taking off from anywhere due to a traffic control problem, looks unlikely anyone going anywhere for some time. Gatwick is a nightmare as we can’t even leave the airport as we all need to be processed whatever that means. At least yesterday we were able to just leave the airport. Gatwick is such a horrible airport, never again!! I think the return flights out of PMI will not happen for a couple of days.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 3:51 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Had a client booked on PMI-LHR with BA. Saw it was cancelled and quickly booked FR - which was in turn cancelled.

After exhausting all other options, I booked them a ferry to Minorca for this morning, and they've just touched down at STN with Ryanair - 3 hours delayed.

Exhausting for them, and a lot of money floating around with carriers which will need to be recouped!

M
becks1 and RichieMc like this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 6:20 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Yeah our PMI is a mess.

It was closed 27/8 for several hours due to the horrible storms. Then IBZ closed for a bit, and Mahon stopped taking planes.
Now today, when hopefully things were getting back to normal, the ATC issues.

I have friends here on EZY who were told the next flight is Sunday, in 6 days. And sadly some folk don't have the money to just sit and get a 6 day hotel and meals in the hope of it being reimbursed. Tried to speak to them regarding buying new flights if they cant get you there in 24hours, reciepts etc but it's all very intense to a novice traveller.
becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
I spend months a year in mallorca and fortunately returned Saturday morning. I feel for everyone as at this time of year the flights are full anyway. Take out 2 days and how you recover who knows.

the point about paying for 6 days hotel is very real. Much of the mallorca trade is bucket and spade and dropping 1500 on hotels and meals will be very difficult for many
marconess likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.