Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Does the 24 hour cooling off period apply for a flight that is within 24 hours?

Old Aug 25, 2023, 4:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: VS Gold, BAEC Gold

Tried to find an answer to this but canít; if I book an Avios flight for 23 hours time, do I still have the 24 hour (well, now 23 hour) cooling off period to cancel?
Old Aug 25, 2023, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
No, you do not. Same for cash and reward flights

Your right to cancel within 24 hours

If you have booked directly with British Airways and you notice a mistake with your booking after you have paid for your ticket(s), you can cancel your flight booking and claim a full refund without penalty, up to 24 hours from when you make the original booking. Refunds under these circumstances can be requested by calling our contact centres, with the exception of bookings made for travel within 24 hours, Avios bookings which can be managed online, and British Airways Holidays bookings made on ba.com which are not covered under this option
orbitmic likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 6:58 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis Presidentís Club
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
No, you do not. Same for cash and reward flights
I know that makes sense from BA's point of view but I must admit that if it was not the case it would be a great way to get free lounge access.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:01 am

Programs: BAEC
But you do get the 24h cooling off period if you book and ticket the flight at a minute before t-24
SxMan likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by johnaalex
I know that makes sense from BA's point of view but I must admit that if it was not the case it would be a great way to get free lounge access.
Lufthansa do not take that sort abuse lightly. I would expect similar from BA once a pattern of behaviour was established

https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa...ves-huge-bill/
johnaalex, SxMan and orbitmic like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by TabTraveller
But you do get the 24h cooling off period if you book and ticket the flight at a minute before t-24
I don't think so - there was in fact a case discussed in a recent thread (though I can't remember which exactly) of someone having done just that and being told that the free cancellation only applied till the t-24 time, so basically, 1 minute to change their minds... There was some discussion as to whether BA was contradicting their own exclusion but clearly, in the case reported, it would have taken some fighting to get anything.
Stewie Mac and jonr405 like this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Lufthansa do not take that sort abuse lightly. I would expect similar from BA once a pattern of behaviour was established

https://liveandletsfly.com/lufthansa...ves-huge-bill/
in Singapore that sort of thing has landed a few people a short jail sentence!
imkevinmc likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:12 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Getting around that doesnít seem too complicated though. Couldnít you book a fully refundable ticket and cancel it from the lounge?

(not endorsing this!!)
Old Aug 25, 2023, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Ziz
Getting around that doesnít seem too complicated though. Couldnít you book a fully refundable ticket and cancel it from the lounge?

(not endorsing this!!)
generally some fine print somewhere says you must intend to travel, not just have a ticket, in order to access the lounge. Thatís how LH won $$ in their case. In Singapore itís actually a legal requirement to intend to travel in order to access airside, maybe elsewhere too.
RJD1983 and jcturnbull like this.
Old Aug 26, 2023, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by bobbytables
generally some fine print somewhere says you must intend to travel, not just have a ticket, in order to access the lounge. Thatís how LH won $$ in their case. In Singapore itís actually a legal requirement to intend to travel in order to access airside, maybe elsewhere too.
You could always start to frequent the toilet and cancel due to being unwell. But again, that could only be a one time excuse. Nothing for repeat offenders
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diam, Avis PC, Hertz 5*, PP
Sorry to drag up an old thread. Can anyone clarify the position if you book between 24-48 hours before the flight - do you still get the full 24 hour refund window, even if that means cancelling within 24 hours of departure?

My reading of the terms and conditions suggests yes, so I guess what I'm really asking is how MMB (or the contact centres) apply this in practice.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
No you don't, it is up to 24 hours after making booking, providing there is still 24 hours or more before the flight. Applies to cash or avios. Only applies to flight only (i.e not BAH bookings). Has to be cancelled by phone (although this is not strictly enforced)

So in circumstances described above you would have 1 minute to cancel

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.