BA0425 [NAP-LHR], 24 August 2023

Old Aug 24, 23, 6:08 pm
Original Poster

BA0425 [NAP-LHR], 24 August 2023

BA aren't covering themselves in glory.
Plane very late, we left the stand at 2240ish (was meant to be 1955 departure). Then got the message we weren't given a slot at LHR or even LGW to land. We were eventually offloaded.
It's now 0108 and there are about a hundred of us awaiting transportation to a hotel about 25 minutes away.

Now 0145. One bus has arrived and taken fewer than half the passengers to the hotel. Some signs of stress...

0155. Eleven taxis have rolled up, blocking the bus space and seem to be demanding business! The bus (it'll be here in 25 minutes from 0030...) is nowhere to be seen.

0235 Still no second bus.

Last edited by Tudway; Aug 24, 23 at 7:37 pm Reason: Additional information
Old Aug 25, 23, 12:55 am
Original Poster

Head hit the pillow at 0345. Return bus expected 0800. Zzzz
Old Aug 25, 23, 1:03 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
I'm sorry for the troubles you had.
This is one case where I would have sorted hotel and transfers by myself and claimed expenses later.
Old Aug 25, 23, 1:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lefly
I'm sorry for the troubles you had.
This is one case where I would have sorted hotel and transfers by myself and claimed expenses later.
We weren't sure we could, given it was apparently set up for us.
Old Aug 25, 23, 2:44 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Question for the experts on here had the OP been told that "things were being sorted" or words to that effect, presumably if they had gone ahead regardless and booked their own transport and accommodation (agree- absolutely the right thing to do) then BA wouldn't quibble in any event?
Old Aug 25, 23, 2:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Question for the experts on here had the OP been told that "things were being sorted" or words to that effect, presumably if they had gone ahead regardless and booked their own transport and accommodation (agree- absolutely the right thing to do) then BA wouldn't quibble in any event?
I can't say for the hotel, but when we had an issue like this in Porto, BA booked a hotel, dinner, and coaches for everyone. To beat the crowds we grabbed an Uber and ended up sorting out our own dinner elsewhere. BA paid up for both, no arguments.
Old Aug 25, 23, 3:01 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
You can always make your own arrangements. I would on no account ever queue for a voucher or a bus, I'd just organise a reasonably priced hotel and a taxi. BA have never quibbled, but I tend anyway to stay within the bounds of what I'd pay were someone else not picking up the tab. There's a lot to be said for being in bed at say 1.30am rather than 2.45 anyway, even on your own dime.
Old Aug 25, 23, 3:08 am

Assuming it wasn't ridiculously far/expensive I'd just get a taxi or Uber on the basis that sleep is very valuable to me and if BA pays me back that is a bonus.

I get the feeling that their systems and checks aren't sophisticated enough to know what was and wasn't arranged locally so they just pay up - we read plenty of tales on here of no arrangements made (I saw Sarah Vine wrote recently about a recent almost identical delay where they weren't)
Old Aug 25, 23, 3:18 am
Original Poster

Well, we live and learn, I guess.
The return buses were only half an hour late. The baggage belt at Naples airport has broken down in the slum terminal we've been sent to. Very little communication and when there is, contradictory instructions abound.
Old Aug 25, 23, 3:22 am

I was on a flight to Naples last week and the baggage delivery stopped in the middle and was marked completed. Someone had to go out and yell at the handlers to restart. Not a great airport.
Old Aug 25, 23, 3:24 am

Also worth having in mind that this thread is invaluable and linked to from the forum dashboard.

Disruption Assistance thread - signposts and what you need to know - FlyerTalk Forums
Old Aug 25, 23, 4:09 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Assuming it wasn't ridiculously far/expensive I'd just get a taxi or Uber on the basis that sleep is very valuable to me and if BA pays me back that is a bonus.

I get the feeling that their systems and checks aren't sophisticated enough to know what was and wasn't arranged locally so they just pay up - we read plenty of tales on here of no arrangements made (I saw Sarah Vine wrote recently about a recent almost identical delay where they weren't)
Yes, BA just pays up. It's on all in the thread linked above by bisonrav, which wasn't really for regular travellers who I presume would know how it all works. That thread is really for less frequent travellers who can have a better experience if they just knew what to do. Unfortunately, despite being promoted in this forum 143 times since it was written, it still seems to slide off into invisibility.
mikeyfly and sammyg901 like this.
Old Aug 25, 23, 4:28 am
Original Poster

As a less frequent traveller, there was an initial impression of efficiency once back at the terminal, so I didn't seek further advice at that point. A learning experience, and mercifully nothing desperate to return to today.

New question in relation to this: The initial delay was, I think, due to an "extraordinary circumstance". However the decision not to fly having left the gate was presumably due to the fines for landing at LHR too late. How might this sit with UK261 or EU 261 compensation? It's over 1,500 km and will probably be over 14 hours delay.
Old Aug 25, 23, 4:44 am

You need to check the "reasons for cancellation" thread which is very active because of the weather and disruption yesterday. If your flight isn't referenced by tomorrow then ask there.

If the "reason" code ends with a "Y" you'll likely get the compensation, if not it's much less likely though not unheard of. Personally I'd say that a weather/atc disruption from an outstation would be a challenging claim,
Old Aug 25, 23, 5:14 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Tudway
Well, we live and learn, I guess.
The return buses were only half an hour late. The baggage belt at Naples airport has broken down in the slum terminal we've been sent to. Very little communication and when there is, contradictory instructions abound.
The whole place is a dump - a slum is a good comparison. Anything that involves that dreadful place has me concerned. I never argue with the boys here but Napoli is not one of those places that I would start running around at Midnight, thank you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.