Has free WiFi been removed from First?

Old Aug 9, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver IHG Diamond Ambassador Hilton Diamond
Wifi refunds take ages. Only just got my refund from a wifi purchase from London - Sydney in February this year
olouie and remaxmac like this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by revorgap
What email address did you contact? Have always had speedy reply from [email protected]
Yep that email exactly.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Conversely, my last refund from that email took ~4 months.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 12:28 pm

Just for future reference it might be easier if you paid with credit card to raise a dispute with your credit card provider - if it's a small amount they'll usually honour it anyway and it's always an instant refund. With a debit card, raise a chargeback which also gives an instant refund.

Just contact BA by email and if they don't respond in a resonable time frame, screenshot it and upload it as part of your dispute.
RJD1983 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 7:56 am

Programs: BA Blue
I used it yesterday in First. It worked throughout the flight. It wasn't the best WiFi I have used. A bit spotty. A bit slow. Suitable for medium browsing.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: Varies
In my experience, there's no WiFi in First let alone free WiFi. I collect my 10k avios compensation every time my flight is listed as having free WiFi but has no WiFi, so that's something.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 10:57 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by ttama
In my experience, there's no WiFi in First let alone free WiFi. I collect my 10k avios compensation every time my flight is listed as having free WiFi but has no WiFi, so that's something.
That doesn't match up with my experiences. Yes, there are occasional drop outs in the service but I've been quite pleased with the free WiFi in F and the paid WiFi in CW on transatlantic flights.

Are you saying you've always been on aircraft that don't have WiFi at all or that it's installed but has not worked for you? It's hard to understand how our experiences can be so different.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by olouie
It gave me errors before. Still waiting on refund since it was promised after buying when free wifi didnt work.

The support email goes nowhere since its been over a month now without a response.
I had the same but in J. Was charged twice. No response.

The wifi is really poor these days. I often can't even download my email, which is one of the sole reasons for connecting: to check for urgent issues from time to time. That seems to be a recent change. Was fine before, but it's like that port (port 21) has been downgraded on BA's part. Just is so slow.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:10 am

Originally Posted by RJD1983
I used it yesterday in First. It worked throughout the flight. It wasn't the best WiFi I have used. A bit spotty. A bit slow. Suitable for medium browsing.
Yep, browsing works fine. Skype/messaging never worked in the past, but works fine now. Emailing is the hard part. I had an important email to go out when I was flying the other day, just would not send. I had to wait until we were on the tarmac, tether to 4G and it went through first time - meaning it's definitely some kind of port block on BA's wifi.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by chriswiles
I had the same but in J. Was charged twice. No response.

The wifi is really poor these days. I often can't even download my email, which is one of the sole reasons for connecting: to check for urgent issues from time to time. That seems to be a recent change. Was fine before, but it's like that port (port 21) has been downgraded on BA's part. Just is so slow.
Originally Posted by chriswiles
Yep, browsing works fine. Skype/messaging never worked in the past, but works fine now. Emailing is the hard part. I had an important email to go out when I was flying the other day, just would not send. I had to wait until we were on the tarmac, tether to 4G and it went through first time - meaning it's definitely some kind of port block on BA's wifi.
Well you certainly don't want to be trying to use port 21 for email but I'm guessing that's a typo on your part. Again, I don't recognize these problems with email or WiFi in general which I use on all long haul flights except for short overnight ones. It could be a firewall block on non TLS attempts to use email. For sending email you probably want to be using something like port 465 but it will of course depend on your email provider and their support for it. Your 4G provider may have a less strict policy which is why is works through that.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by golfmad
That doesn't match up with my experiences. Yes, there are occasional drop outs in the service but I've been quite pleased with the free WiFi in F and the paid WiFi in CW on transatlantic flights.

Are you saying you've always been on aircraft that don't have WiFi at all or that it's installed but has not worked for you? It's hard to understand how our experiences can be so different.
It's hard for you to understand that BA's service offerings are inconsistent? Or hard for you to understand that anyone's experiences can differ from yours? If the latter, this is the right forum for you. It's full of posts from puzzled people who just cannot wrap their heads around the possibility that someone may think differently from themselves. I refer you to the OP on the recent beef cheeks thread. Or all the posts from forum members saying they don't understand why anyone would want to know the menu before their flight, because they themselves don't. Or the ones who don't understand why anyone with allergies should be concerned about their in-flight experience, because they themselves don't suffer from allergies. A psychologist would have a field day on this forum; there are SO many puzzled people on it trying desperately to understand why anyone is different from them or experiences something differently.

I'm not a psychologist so I would hesitate to use the term narcissism. Especially as when I've used it before to describe those members who are totally puzzled that we don't all think like them, my post has been deleted

So I shall refrain this time.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:17 pm

Wow, there's so much to unpick here.

It's hard for you to understand that BA's service offerings are inconsistent?
No. Happy to accept that. I see inconsistencies myself.

Or hard for you to understand that anyone's experiences can differ from yours?
Absolutely not. Everyone's experience and perception is different and everyone is entitled to their opinion.

In my experience, there's no WiFi in First let alone free WiFi.
You said that in your experience there is no WiFi in F so I asked you a simple question which you declined to address or answer. I then set out my experience and pondered how it could be that it was so different to yours.

You responded with a diatribe that I have chosen to ignore along with the not-so-veiled reference to me and others being narcissists. And if you can't see why that would end up with your post(s) being removed I would point you to the FlyerTalk rules here. I would recommend a quick read of 12.2 which you may find enlightening.
GLA likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:21 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I'm not a psychologist so I would hesitate to use the term narcissism. Especially as when I've used it before to describe those members who are totally puzzled that we don't all think like them, my post has been deleted
It is true! Every time I see golfmad in the CCR all he seems to do is posing and pouting to take selfies for his IG posts
Old Aug 10, 2023, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
It is true! Every time I see golfmad in the CCR all he seems to do is posing and pouting to take selfies for his IG posts
Yeah, that's me
KARFA likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA, Southwest
They were having problems with the wifi identifying first passengers so the FA told me to pay and I would be reimbursed. It worked off an on during the flight. I immediately wrote to request a refund, and I finally heard back about a week ago from a flight in late June. No refund yet, but supposedly on the way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.