Macallan boutique

Old Aug 3, 2023, 11:21 am
Original Poster

After not being able to contain myself I went with a couple of friends for a very last minute (booked as we were arriving at heathrow) overnight trip. I can now confirm that they do not have any folios in stock. This wasn't a brush off I am certain they had nothing. They told me that a press release from Macallan went out on Tuesday saying it is now available. However due to a shipping delay it hadn't arrived yet. I asked them how long before they receive a shipment do they get informed. She said usually a day before and she's not expecting anything today/tomorrow. I also doubt there will be shipments on Saturday/Sunday (maybe?) so might have to try again on Monday.

Good luck to everyone and make sure there's a bottle left there for me
danmushman likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 1:04 pm

The gentleman I have just spoken with at the Macallan boutique in T5 said its more likely going to be end of month. He hinted that its typical that they would put out a release to fuel expectations and demand, and then deliver two to three weeks later. Not sure which of the two attendants is more reliable.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From a professional perspective on HMRC

* as noted above, duty and VAT calcs are complex and customs will only tell you when you make a formal declaration. if you want to know in advance theyll expect you to do the work
* dont antagonise them. They have remarkably wide powers and are much less customer friendly than pretty much any other non commercial body unless you handle them correctly
Old Aug 3, 2023, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
From a professional perspective on HMRC

* as noted above, duty and VAT calcs are complex and customs will only tell you when you make a formal declaration. if you want to know in advance theyll expect you to do the work
* dont antagonise them. They have remarkably wide powers and are much less customer friendly than pretty much any other non commercial body unless you handle them correctly
As a non professional how do I calculate it beforehand so I know what I'll be paying.

Also, I'm assuming you're a lawyer with a background in customs, if so, would you be able to advise or explain what's wrong with buying in duty free, abandoning flight and declaring/paying for them at customs?

Appreciate it
Old Aug 3, 2023, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jzlerner
As a non professional how do I calculate it beforehand so I know what I'll be paying.

Also, I'm assuming you're a lawyer with a background in customs, if so, would you be able to advise or explain what's wrong with buying in duty free, abandoning flight and declaring/paying for them at customs?

Appreciate it
As a non professional you engage a professional to help you! Or do some significant research work on gov.co.uk. The tariff code checker below would be starting point

https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff

Very much not a lawyer and have no specific experience with duty free sales so wouldnt like to comment on that. One of those areas where a laymans view of common sense v how the law is framed can be quite divergent.
daftboy likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 3:20 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
* dont antagonise them. They have remarkably wide powers and are much less customer friendly
This reminds me of a friend I travelled with on a leisure trip to the US. Nice lad, but not super savvy on international travel, He was trying to use his well known charms on the US border force on entry to the US as I was trying to unobtrusively enter through another channel with one palm up to deflect the tension from the next lane...
Old Aug 3, 2023, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DeathSlam
This reminds me of a friend I travelled with on a leisure trip to the US. Nice lad, but not super savvy on international travel, He was trying to use his well known charms on the US border force on entry to the US as I was trying to unobtrusively enter through another channel with one palm up to deflect the tension from the next lane...
Reminds me of the time my friend went with his wife and 5 kids to NYC. CBP officer asked him what his job was. He jokingly answered "I'm an assassin". Was promptly put on the next flight home with a 5 year ban on entering the US. He's a real estate agent.
DeathSlam and Arctic Troll like this.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 3:42 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC
went with his wife and 5 kids
Some people don't appear to need this much assistance...
Macfacepalm is only an emoji away.
Old Aug 3, 2023, 4:54 pm

Programs: IB , BA , AA , LATAM
You guys shouls come to live in Argentina . As well the US$500 prosnal allwance we also get an additional allowance $ 500 for goods bough in Argentine duty free shops.

Bad news... we only have Macallan 12 right now.
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
In GF now. Wheres the Boutique ?
Old Aug 4, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Why would they do that? Is it to prevent Jack the Lad types from buying it up just to sell on?
They don't want to sell to people that sell it on for a profit, they want to sell it to people who will enjoy it for what it is. They also use tactics that many luxury brands do and use these types of bottles to sell their less desirable bottles, so people that regularly buy standard bottles (ones that don't resell for higher than retail) will get called directly to reserve the desirable ones.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Bought a bottle today, much to the annoyance of the pilot behind me who was told it was the last one.
Old Aug 9, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Silver

Needless to say after 15 minutes of incompetency I was searched for "raising suspicions"
The first of many searches I would imagine!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.