Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

MAN-LHR Schedule change with new service at original time - help!

Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador

Just had an email from BA saying my flight BA1391 (MAN-LHR) on 30/12/2023 has been re-timed from 06:15 to 07:30.

I'm on an unprotected connection to VS from T3 at 12:00. Long story, but this was originally from MAN but their only daily flight was cancelled and the only alternative was from LHR involving me getting to LHR at my own risk.

There appears to be an alternative new service (BA1371) now at the original departure time. My tickets are all reward seats.
  • Will BA move me onto this earlier service for free for a 75 min schedule change? Even with no reward seats available?
  • Is a 3.5 hour connection T5>T3 landslide with baggage collection still acceptable?
Old Jul 27, 2023, 4:24 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
They probably would, I would just call and ask. Personally I would have booked the day before and stayed in the purple palace, but each to their own and the level of risk you want to take.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 12:56 am

There are also plenty of award seats available on BA1371 anyway, so you can switch.
MrGatch likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:25 am
Original Poster

I've just called up and they won't switch me onto the earlier flight without me paying 35 per pax. Agent spoke to a supervisor twice and they've refused. Suggested I pay the change fee (70 for the two pax) and then submit a complaint afterwards to recover the fee.

I booked the earliest MAN departure of 06:15 (BA1391). This has now been retimed to 07:30 (+1:15) and a seemingly a new flight BA1371 is now operating at the original time of 06:15.

Am I being unreasonable here? I'm thinking HUATA, but is this something that the agent can't overide anyway?
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
If you 'Accepted' the change you were emailed about then the agent may be technically correct ( always better off not doing this until nearer the time if the change offered isn't exactly what you want ) .. though it does seem a bit unreasonable I agree for them not to swap back
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
If you 'Accepted' the change you were emailed about then the agent may be technically correct ( always better off not doing this until nearer the time if the change offered isn't exactly what you want ) .. though it does seem a bit unreasonable I agree for them not to swap back
The change didn't require me to accept it as presumably it is under the 2 hour threshold (1hr15) and they were just informing me. My issue is they've retimed my flight but there is a new flight with availability leaving at the original time I booked.
EvilDoctorK likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:35 am

Unprotected onto a longhaul I'd be travelling down the night before anyway, if something goes wrong last minute you've got no time for an alternative
BarneyMcGrew likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by MrGatch
The change didn't require me to accept it as presumably it is under the 2 hour threshold (1hr15) and they were just informing me. My issue is they've retimed my flight but there is a new flight with availability leaving at the original time I booked.
You should very likely be okay anyway ... whether on the 0615 or the 0730 out of MAN the aircraft will both be overnighting there so it will be the first flight of the day .. so it limits the amount of things that can go wrong delay wise ... Weather is the wild card here if we're talking about December I suppose ... I think you've got a reasonable case to get swapped onto the 0615 , but you'd need someone to override the 'computer says no' answer I imagine .. and/or pay the change fee and appeal it
MrGatch likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 2:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, this is in line with policy, which allows for time changes of up to 2 hours with no involuntary options unless it was a cruise ticket, a day return or MCT was breached, none of which applies here. It is a strange situation when they end up with a new flight in the old time slot, and I would personally have hoped that discretion would have been allowed here. I suspect the offered remedy is probably the best, unless your cash component in the original booking was such (under 35) that it's cheaper to cancel and rebook. For recovery of additional costs, well you may be able to do this if you are feeling strongly minded about this, since the exact definition of "significant change" is not precisely defined in the Conditions of Carriage, and as a customer you have a plausible reason why 75 minutes is significant to you. This may be your pitch to Customer Relations. BA has a de facto policy but it's not published and so I don't believe they can enforce it on you. This would likely be MCOL rather than CEDR, on balance.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:04 am

If it were me, and I wanted to fight for the 70 (depends on my mood!) then I'd pay the change fee and then complain to CEDR (as it's easier -then MCOL if it failed) without mentioning flight numbers at all.

"I was booked on the 6:15, and BA then emailed me to say my new departure was 7:30 and when I asked to be put back on the 6:15 departure they refused."
Old Jul 28, 2023, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for everyone's replies.

Regarding going down the night before, I had looked into this but considered cancellation/delay of the first flight of the day lowish risk, option of later connecting flights, ultimate backup of the WCML train mitigated this. I'd be able to consider the weather several days out and can see the night before whether there are the two required A320s positioned for the morning.

I'm minded to leave it as it is for now and see if there any further changes as we get closer to the date.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Theres always HUACA. I know the technicalities involved but I think a reasonable agent would just sort this out for you.
Corpt and MrGatch like this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue

I'm on an unprotected connection to VS from T3 at 12:00. Long story, but this was originally from MAN but their only daily flight was cancelled and the only alternative was from LHR involving me getting to LHR at my own risk.
Had you booked the original routing? (MAN - YYY)
If you did why are you having to book anything it is up to VS to sort out the whole issue, or had the flight from MAN been cancelled before you got round to booking?
MrGatch likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2023, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY
Had you booked the original routing? (MAN - YYY)
If you did why are you having to book anything it is up to VS to sort out the whole issue, or had the flight from MAN been cancelled before you got round to booking?
Yes, this was originally MAN-JFK on VS and there were a very large number of SkyTeam alternative routings when cancelled, however it was an award ticket with a VS companion voucher and (unlike BA) the rebook can only be on VS metal, even in the event of a cancellation.

On a revenue booking I could have rerouted via AMS or CDG on DL/AF. They would also have covered the MAN-LHR on BA as a valid routing, however as they insisted on VS metal I could choose different day from MAN (one flight per day), or travel to LHR under my own steam.

One major positive is that I was able to book onto their daily A330-900neo flight which has their best J product. Every other aircraft they fly seems to have an odd J cabin that I didn't like the look of!
Old Jul 28, 2023, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Yes, this was originally MAN-JFK on VS and there were a very large number of SkyTeam alternative routings when cancelled, however it was an award ticket with a VS companion voucher and (unlike BA) the rebook can only be on VS metal, even in the event of a cancellation.

On a revenue booking I could have rerouted via AMS or CDG on DL/AF. They would also have covered the MAN-LHR on BA as a valid routing, however as they insisted on VS metal I could choose different day from MAN (one flight per day), or travel to LHR under my own steam.

One major positive is that I was able to book onto their daily A330-900neo flight which has their best J product. Every other aircraft they fly seems to have an odd J cabin that I didn't like the look of!
Would be interested what the guys who are more up on the ins and outs of EU/UK 261 think of this.... I did not think type of ticket or means of purchase lets VS out of their responsibilities to get you from MAN - JFK and duty of care too if overnight was necessary specially as this is a CANCELLED flight
Schwann, MrGatch and strowger like this.

Last edited by SWISSBOBBY; Jul 28, 2023 at 7:52 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.