Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

No breakfast due to crew not having enough rest?

Old Jul 20, 23, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver

Is this a real thing? A friend posted something on IG this morning (so assuming they flew BA56 JNB-LHR last night - which was an on time service) but the post says: And the "worst service award" goes to the crew on flight BA56 JHB-LHR Who cancelled breakfast service for the entire plane due to them not getting enough rest time on board

I have not been able to get hold of the person myself, just seen the post - but is this even a possibility? Simply curious.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:12 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
This does happen from time time time, IIRC if there's a delay and the crew are short of hours, or there is a reduced crew. It's not just them deciding not to bother.
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Maybe drop BA a thank you for saving the time they'd have spent IG(ing?) the quality of the food.
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by wijibintheair
Is this a real thing? A friend posted something on IG this morning (so assuming they flew BA56 JNB-LHR last night - which was an on time service) but the post says: And the "worst service award" goes to the crew on flight BA56 JHB-LHR Who cancelled breakfast service for the entire plane due to them not getting enough rest time on board

I have not been able to get hold of the person myself, just seen the post - but is this even a possibility? Simply curious.
Yes especially where flight times are shorter than scheduled, due to report timings of flight under EASA regulations, and planned length of flight due to industrial agreements, crew must take a minimum amount of rest to make the duty legal. If they have to cut or adapt the service to achieve the mandated rest, then that's the priority. The objective is to ensure crew are fully alert at critical phases (i.e. descent to engines off )
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:42 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Cancelling a meal service is unsatisfactory, but if the alternative is to cancel the flight then its the correct decision IMHO.
renila, chica, RJD1983 and 11 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
The crew wouldn’t have any choice but to cancel the meal as unfortunate as it is as they have to stay legal.
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:47 am

the crew need a minimum legal amount of rest to allow the flight to be conducted within the law. When things are tight, a good IFM will recognise this and hasten the dinner service to allow this to happen, a poor one will cancel the breakfast.

We use a situational awareness model at BA, Notice, Understand, Think Ahead, or NUTA. A good IFM will Notice that the timing is tight, a better one will Notice this and Understand that it will affect the service, a really good one will Notice it, Understand that service may be impacted, and Think Ahead tailoring both services to ensure they are both delivered. Cancelling breakfast just looks poor and reflects poorly on everyone involved.Two courses of action here a reactive, only one is proactive.
Koru Flyer, NickB, SK and 55 others like this.
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
the crew need a minimum legal amount of rest to allow the flight to be conducted within the law. When things are tight, a good IFM will recognise this and hasten the dinner service to allow this to happen, a poor one will cancel the breakfast.

We use a situational awareness model at BA, Notice, Understand, Think Ahead, or NUTA. A good IFM will Notice that the timing is tight, a better one will Notice this and Understand that it will affect the service, a really good one will Notice it, Understand that service may be impacted, and Think Ahead tailoring both services to ensure they are both delivered. Cancelling breakfast just looks poor and reflects poorly on everyone involved.Two courses of action here a reactive, only one is proactive.
I agree, I didnt want to say that as I didnt want to sound bitter. 😂
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:55 am

We all have days, that when we look back at them, we think maybe next time Ill do that differently No one is perfect and we live and learn. Perhaps next time this IFM would run it in a different manner
Old Jul 20, 23, 5:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yesterday's BA56 departed 3 mins early and landed 19 mins early - surely the crew should be able to get their usual levels of rest in those circumstances? Would it therefore be down to being short-staffed?
Old Jul 20, 23, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Firstly we don’t know what day to the customer flew and we don’t have all the facts.
Old Jul 20, 23, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Firstly we dont know what day to the customer flew and we dont have all the facts.
Being in possession of all the facts before making a judgment - youll never make it in management🤣🤣
Old Jul 20, 23, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never let the facts get in the way of making a judgment. 🤪
Old Jul 20, 23, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by cosmo74
Yesterday's BA56 departed 3 mins early and landed 19 mins early - surely the crew should be able to get their usual levels of rest in those circumstances? Would it therefore be down to being short-staffed?
Don't underestimate how long it can take a BA crew to complete the dinner service. 3 hours from wheels up isn't unusual, and if that ran on later then you can well imagine how rest periods can be curtailed - for crew and passengers alike!
Bearface likes this.
Old Jul 20, 23, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

True but can only remember once doing this in over 40 years of flying.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.