JFK transfer SFO-JFK-LHR

Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:10 am
Original Poster

JFK transfer SFO-JFK-LHR

I'll soon be making this trip (BA flight numbers throughout, although AA operated SFO-JFK) and wanted to be certain of the transfer process as this will be my first domestic to international connection at Terminal 8. Is this literally just a case of walking from the arrival gate to departure gate without needing to re-clear TSA and security?

My reason for asking is AA have recently re-timed my SFO-JFK flight which now only allows for a 60 minutes connection to the last flight of the day to LHR (11pm departure). Originally I'd chosen these flights to allow for a 120+ minutes connection in the hope of having some 'Chelsea time' between flights. Seeing as that's now out of the window and assuming everything runs on schedule, I just wanted to be certain that this is still a valid connection and I (and my checked bag) have a hope in hells chance of making it over to BA182.

Given I'd need to depart SFO much earlier than the current departure time to have a longer layover in JFK and for the fact I'll be driving down from Calistoga north of SF Bay before departure, the preference is to take the current re-time and ditch any notion of lounge time at JFK. However I just want to be certain what I've currently got flight wise is still feasible.

Also assuming any delay into JFK that causes a misconnect to the BA LHR will be protected (all one ticket) and I'll be accommodated the following morning with overnight JFK hotel either arranged or expensed back to BA post travel.

Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Jul 12, 2023 at 6:16 am
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC
MCT for a domestic to international connection is 45 minutes in T8. As long as things are on time you'll have plentsy time. Any lounge visit is likely to be short though!
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:22 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes for that connection you can walk off the plane and straight to your next flight (or the lounge in between). No security or any other bp check needed on arrival, you walk straight in to the departure area.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
I'll soon be making this trip (BA flight numbers throughout, although AA operated SFO-JFK) and wanted to be certain of the transfer process as this will be my first domestic to international connection at Terminal 8. Is this literally just a case of walking from the arrival gate to departure gate without needing to re-clear TSA and security?
Yes, it is like making a domestic connection in this scenario. You may arrive in the C concourse, which involves going down the tunnel over to the main concourse, but there's no security. At the lounge try to spot a BA agent if you can, from the uniform, since you need a passport scan there.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks all, much appreciated.
So long as all runs to schedule I'm sure there'll be an opportunity for a nightcap shot enroute between gates!

I'm familiar with the passport check prior to boarding so would definitely hunt the gate staff down.

Best Wishes
Old Jul 12, 2023, 6:36 am
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Terminal 8 domestic to intentional doesn't require a TSA check. 60 minutes is greater than MCT as mentioned above.

Simply disembark the inbound SFO-JFK flight and walk to your JFK-LHR gate. Assuming your inbound flight arrives ontime 60 mins is ample time even for the most distant T8 gate combinations even if the domestic flight is allocated a gate on the satellite pier and you have to use the tunnel under the apron. The longest walk combination would probably be gates 31/32/33 (end of the satellite pier) to gate 2/4 (end of the main terminal) and that is no more than 20 minutes at a sensible walking pace.

If it all goes wrong and you're on a single ticket BA will rebook you including a hotel if the rebook requires an overnight JFK stay.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cwl
If it all goes wrong and you're on a single ticket BA will rebook you including a hotel if the rebook requires an overnight JFK stay.
Doesn't that depend on why it all goes wrong? If BA cancels the OP's JFK-LHR flight, then yes, BA would be responsible for the rebooking and duty of care. But if the OP's AA-operated SFO-JFK flights gets cancelled or substantially delayed, then I think that it would be AA's responsibility to protect the passenger and arrange the rebooking.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Doesn't that depend on why it all goes wrong? If BA cancels the OP's JFK-LHR flight, then yes, BA would be responsible for the rebooking and duty of care. But if the OP's AA-operated SFO-JFK flights gets cancelled or substantially delayed, then I think that it would be AA's responsibility to protect the passenger and arrange the rebooking.
Yes this is my understanding also and something BA are definitely more generous with regarding overnight accommodation than perhaps AA are. However if the proverbial hits fan at SFO my plan B would be to request a reroute on one of the direct SFO-LHR flights and claim back ORC when I get back to London. AA in my experience are quite good in doing this when needed.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold/GGL, IHG Diamond AMB
Quick question on MCT the other way BA International - AA Domestic at JFK T8. BA seems to think that 1hour 19 minutes is doable on a LHR-JFK-LAX itinerary. Before I pull the trigger can I check the collective FT mind please?
Old Jul 23, 2023, 12:16 pm

Programs: BA KL
Originally Posted by our_kid
Quick question on MCT the other way BA International - AA Domestic at JFK T8. BA seems to think that 1hour 19 minutes is doable on a LHR-JFK-LAX itinerary. Before I pull the trigger can I check the collective FT mind please?
Expert Flyer states 1 hour 15 mins.

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
OFFLINE 1.00 1.15 1.45 2.00
** OR * ARE ALL
BA-AA ID 1.15 10JAN23 - INF
our_kid likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:55 pm

Programs: BA GGL, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Doable but unless you have Global Entry and no checked luggage I would probably aim for at least 2hours.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by ceej123
Doable but unless you have Global Entry and no checked luggage I would probably aim for at least 2hours.
Agreed. BA bag delivery at JFK can take a while and you have to collect bags, clear customs and re-check bags plus go through security to get back airside, all of which takes time. Iím flying that itinerary today and can tell you that the non-TSA Precheck line for security was winding around the check-in desks upstairs and looked really ugly.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:54 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (1w Emerald), United Platinum (*G), Marriott Plat Elite
1h:19m is a bit tight WITHOUT GLOBAL ENTRY. I had taken that connection (as a part of LHR JFK SFO) at least 10 times over past 3 years. I recommend going for 2.5 hours min to ensure there's enough buffer. You'll have to pass CBP, collect bag and drop it off (there's connection belt next to baggage reclaim), and go upstairs to go through TSA
Old Jul 23, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Just a data point: flying AA DOH-LAX-JFK last week (an 8am-ish arrival at JFK on Friday morning), with global entry and no checked bags, I was through immigration, customs and security and comfortably seated in the Chelsea Lounge in about 20 minutes.
1Aturnleft, ryanbriar and our_kid like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 6:03 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Gold
If you have Global Entry and OWE status I would say 79mins is pushing it given you really have 49mins before boarding starting and 64mins before the gate closes but doable with a fair wind. Like Blumie I was through and in Chelsea within 20mins two weeks ago after arriving from LHR. But I was hand baggage only, had GE and used the Premium check-in area to get to the front of the TSA Pre line. Before I had GE I would regularly spend a lot longer than 79mins waiting at immigration. I would also flag that given how AA upgrades work if you miss your connection and have to be rebooked there’s a good chance there will be no open seats left in J or F. I had issues last year on a cancelled Trans Con to SFO and only managed to get back into J at boarding so personally I like to allow 2.5hrs and while away the time looking at the views from the Chelsea windows if necessary…
our_kid likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.