BA297 immigration times at ORD

Old Jul 10, 2023, 4:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
I've always experienced long wait times at Chicago, however on my most recent trip, about 10 months ago, there was nobody in front of me - from aircraft door to reclaim in about 5 minutes. I must have been just VERY lucky that day from reading the replies on here.
Depending on where the plane parks for deplaning and when exactly 10 months ago, 5 minutes from plane door to baggage reclaim could indeed be a sign of being very lucky and very fast on the feet to get to baggage reclaim if previously having encountered long wait times using the same means of entry at around the same time. But the variability at ORD T5 for international arrivals has for too long now been rather extreme — with a gap in the extreme variability during the trough of travel during the pandemic.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 6:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
I found this earlier relating to repeat ESTA visitors:

U.S. and Canadian passport holders and international visitors from Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to use APC kiosks. Visa Waiver Program visitors must have Electronic System for Travel Authorizations (ESTA) approval prior to travel and have visited the United States on at least one occasion after 2008.

I didn't know this. So I could use the APC kiosks if I wanted to, but from some of the comments above, it might not be any faster?
Old Jul 10, 2023, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by mclachlan4321
So I could use the APC kiosks if I wanted to... ?
They would have to exist first at ORD. As of mid-May there were none for returning US citizens.

i think the extreme variability in wait times is mostly down to erratic staffing. On my last visit it was four immigration officers versus hundreds and hundreds of arrivals. Very frustrating to see all those empty, unstaffed glass booths.
Old Jul 10, 2023, 3:33 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BearX220
They would have to exist first at ORD. As of mid-May there were none for returning US citizens.

i think the extreme variability in wait times is mostly down to erratic staffing. On my last visit it was four immigration officers versus hundreds and hundreds of arrivals. Very frustrating to see all those empty, unstaffed glass booths.
The APC kiosks at ORD have been gone for a couple of years already.

In some ways the APC kiosk introduction and then their removal came with more extreme messes for US persons at ORD — quite a feat to mess up things both with their introduction and then their removal. In a different way it reminds me of what CBP has done with MPC too and is increasingly doing with GE too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.