Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

I don't know how you do it....corporate vs personal

Old Jul 7, 2023, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, HH

I really don't know how people do it. Here is my experience of two cancelled flights in the space of a couple of weeks.

Flight 1, cancelled with less than 24 hours notice to departure - 1 passenger long haul in first..

Call corporate travel agency, fix problem in 15 minutes

Flight 2, cancelled with less than 24 hours hours notice to departure (tomorrow) - Club Europe x 4 passengers.

Can't get through to Gold line
App won't show booking
Log-in exec club page, won't show booking
Follow link to manage booking won't work
Still on hold to Gold line
Follow link to manage booking again - won't work
Still on hold to Gold line
Log-in to exec club page again, won't show booking
Give up with Gold line.
Link finally works 2 hours later - downgraded and on a flight time I can't do
Next avaliable departure 1 day after original
Have a 5 year old and 8 year old - now all not sat together
Need to change transfers etc etc

I assume this is the new normal, but for anyone who isn't GGL and booking directly I have no idea how you have the patience for this.

What a long summer is going to be.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 11:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by carat22
Can't get through to Gold line
Give up with Gold line.
So really, your "Can't get through to Gold line" should read, "Elected not to continue waiting on hold for an agent."

I've seen people write this so many times, "I couldn't get through". I have never not got through to the Gold line and that is because I'll hold on as long as it take to get an agent when it is something like a flight cancellation.

While I can totally understand your frustration, if the booking was that important to get sorted, you should have stayed on hold. Put the phone on speaker and go about your business. That's what I do - and the Gold line is an international call for me - so people based in the UK have way less of an excuse.

Hopefully all your travel here on out is lovely though. I've been disrupted before, it's not fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
PITBULL1K, Simonp27 and stifle like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 12:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
I've never failed to get to my booking using the PNR/ surname, and for most disruption you can deal with it online, this is probably what the corporate travel agent is doing and why it's so fast. If the BA site itself is down, then that's another thing, usually no-one can do anything when that happens.

If I can't get acceptable options, I'll figure out exactly what I want, check availability via a dummy booking, and call in to sort it out. As others have said, you do have to wait on hold sometimes, this is also true for GGL when there's serious disruption. You're always likely to have seating issues with late changes, and the time to sort those out are on check in at the airport or onboard. You might have 2 clusters of parents and children but something will be worked out.

And then there would be an EC261 claim and a complaint.
SxMan and Koru Flyer like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by carat22
I really don't know how people do it. Here is my experience of two cancelled flights in the space of a couple of weeks.

Flight 1, cancelled with less than 24 hours notice to departure - 1 passenger long haul in first..

Call corporate travel agency, fix problem in 15 minutes

Flight 2, cancelled with less than 24 hours hours notice to departure (tomorrow) - Club Europe x 4 passengers.
Would it be worth using a full service travel agent for your personal travel?
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by bisonrav
I've never failed to get to my booking using the PNR/ surname, and for most disruption you can deal with it online, this is probably what the corporate travel agent is doing and why it's so fast. If the BA site itself is down, then that's another thing, usually no-one can do anything when that happens.
Corporate travel agents use the BA website?
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by balthy
Corporate travel agents use the BA website?
Equivalent tools.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
So really, your "Can't get through to Gold line" should read, "Elected not to continue waiting on hold for an agent."!
I hear you here and likewise have read similar, I guess though the wait time is subjective and can only be determined by an individual. I would consider over 1 hour to be ridiculous in any case.

Hopefully all your travel here on out is lovely though. I've been disrupted before, it's not fun and I wouldn't wish it on anyone!
Absolutely and thank you.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

The BA site wasn't down, as is often the case it does not display the bookings either in the app or on their website. Perhaps not for you, but this is a pretty regular occurrence for me, where I would say that 50-60% of the time I cannot see my bookings and especially when you need them.

Usually I don't have to deal with this, and my issue is really about the lack of a seamless operation. I know there are tech problems, but it's astonishing how poor BA are. Sure I could have been unlucky, it's a one off etc, but what happens with individuals who might not fly as often or the other 52 passengers in that cabin on that flight, it's not great.

If I can't get acceptable options, I'll figure out exactly what I want, check availability via a dummy booking, and call in to sort it out. As others have said, you do have to wait on hold sometimes, this is also true for GGL when there's serious disruption. You're always likely to have seating issues with late changes, and the time to sort those out are on check in at the airport or onboard. You might have 2 clusters of parents and children but something will be worked out.

And then there would be an EC261 claim and a complaint.
Thanks, I am not too worried about the seating and I suspect it will get resolved, as you highlight, will put in a claim in due course.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:17 pm

As an aside, I emailed Sean Doyle (which would have gone to his office) regarding the constant f ups at BA and the fact that I can no longer trust them to get me where I ned to go on the day. I would urge others to start doing the same. Complaining on here is one thing (and the responses are very helpful in solving future problems) but until hundreds of others with status decide to take it to the man, they have less incentive to act quickly. GGLs, etc should be leading the charge on this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:19 pm

Even when you can't see the bookings listed - for me this is 80% of the time - you can always get to them using the PNR and surname. This is usefully and rather breezily explained on the error message on the website. One way incidentally of guaranteeing you can see your bookings is by logging in with the intention of grabbing and cut/pasting the error message to illustrate a point you're making on FT - I just tried this. The BA website is nothing if not capricious.

It is incomprehensible to me that a major airline is unable reliably to show a list of bookings, and I've taken to using Tripit Pro to keep tabs on mine. It's true that I have access to the GGL team in extremis, but my experience is generally that the online services work better than the phone when there's major disruption, and I'll always tend to start there. Actually talking to a human, depending on which one it is, can make things worse. Agents have an alarming tendency to invent rules and regulations on the spot, where the online module if anything tends to be quite relaxed on interpretation.

And yes, it shouldn't be like this. During the rash of cancellations and reschedules last year I also emailed Sean Doyle's office, and had quite a detailed conversation with a senior member of staff. It got a bit better, it's now heading south again. I very much amplify the point that higher status holders should be making these points as forcefully as possible.
PAL62V likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 5:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Totally sympathise with the OP. One especially infuriating aspect is - has anyone, using any UK mobile network - managed to successfully keep a call going for the one hour or so it takes to get connected? The deep sense of dread and foreboding, the longer one waits to be connected and knowing that you will never be called back when it drops, is very real.

I now use Propeller Travel for all my bookings as it is a thousand times easier to deal with them than BA. Its worth the small extra cost in gold, as others have said, there seems to have been a real skills drain on BA across all areas.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 7:03 pm

Equivalent tools.
Hardly.
Remind me to dumb whatever your job is down to a few random mouse clicks some day. Whatever your perception is of a travel agent, I can assure you there's more to reissuing a shafted itinerary due to flight cancellation than that.

I think it's fair comment though that getting through to BA shouldnt either be dropped due to high call volumes or take upwards of 45-60 mins to get through.

It used to be the way that calling BA offered a decent service with a timely response. While decent service can still happen, I find that getting hold of someone that can help within a timely manner and a satisfactory outcome happens less and less. That's clearly a business decision that BA has adopted with the staffing level they choose to employ and something I don't particularly care for given that the IT infrastructure that I'm meant to self help with is so pathetically useless and clunky.

BA really need to get their IT sorted as a priority so that people can carry out fairly easy processes online freeing up contact centre agents to handle the bigger stuff or acknowledge they need more contact centre staff because they're incapable of sorting their IT out..... not just keep bandaiding the business and hoping it'll all come together.
travellingjake likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Hardly.
Remind me to dumb whatever your job is down to a few random mouse clicks some day. Whatever your perception is of a travel agent, I can assure you there's more to reissuing a shafted itinerary due to flight cancellation than that.
i am afraid my view of TAs is the same as bisonravs. I avoid them like the plague - unfortunately I have no choice with work bookings. To my mind they add very little value and I often feel they are working against me rather than with me. I cant think of anything I have done in the last few years where I would have benefited from a TA.
redpalmetto and stifle like this.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
So really, your "Can't get through to Gold line" should read, "Elected not to continue waiting on hold for an agent."

I've seen people write this so many times, "I couldn't get through". I have never not got through to the Gold line and that is because I'll hold on as long as it take to get an agent when it is something like a flight cancellation.

While I can totally understand your frustration, if the booking was that important to get sorted, you should have stayed on hold. Put the phone on speaker and go about your business. That's what I do - and the Gold line is an international call for me - so people based in the UK have way less of an excuse.

this is simply not so. Last time they did it to me I rang for over an hour. Cut off. Rang again. They answered. Put me on hold and then disconnect. At that point after nearly 2 hours I did indeed give up. They downgraded me. The service is shocking

easyjet. Call they answer. They make changes. Done.

alternative I can book any fight I wish if cancelled using their app. EasyJet service is amazing. So it can be done
Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Clestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by KARFA
i am afraid my view of TAs is the same as bisonravs. I avoid them like the plague - unfortunately I have no choice with work bookings. To my mind they add very little value and I often feel they are working against me rather than with me. I cant think of anything I have done in the last few years where I would have benefited from a TA.
GGLs have direct lines into BA that make dealing direct a lot simpler, if you dont have this then a good TA is much less stressful and faster, IME.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.