Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Why am I forced into booking short connections at LHR?

Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

With the multi-city booking tool on ba.com refusing any cooperation on selecting suitable flights EDI-LHR-Europe, I resorted to Google Flights, but on selecting options with a connection at LHR larger than about 3 hrs and following the link to book with BA, I regularly get a 'sold out' message and only fully-flexible fares appear to be offered. What is going on here? I don't have any issue with > 3 hrs connections at LHR, have done this for decades, and now I cannot book them anymore??? Why would BA want to sell me flights instead with a substantial risk that I would miss them?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

To add, both EDI-LHR and LHR-XXX flights are available, but I am being refused EDI-LHR-XXX.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:01 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I seem to remember reading on here (but can't find the post) that using matrix powertools is the way to fix the multi city page problem. That, or phoning.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
That, or phoning.
But that's for people who have time...
Old Jun 22, 2023, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
I seem to remember reading on here (but can't find the post) that using matrix powertools is the way to fix the multi city page problem. That, or phoning.
Thanks. Apparently, matrix powertools link to the old BA booking pages, and suddenly things become possible. Google Flights links to the new ones, which refuse my request.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club (Silver)
Ive found the BA app gives better options for connections when flying from the regions (my home airport is GLA).

It still doesnt give the flexibility youre looking for from a multi-city search but its better than BA.com.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

...deleted

Last edited by Dave Noble; Jun 22, 2023 at 4:11 pm Reason: later post showed a solution
Old Jun 23, 2023, 5:08 am

Programs: SAS EBS / *A Silver, Hilton Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Platinum
Lufthansa Group does this too, which makes me wonder whether this may have something to use with the GDS the both airline groups use?
SavvyTravel likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 6:55 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by the810
Lufthansa Group does this too, which makes me wonder whether this may have something to use with the GDS the both airline groups use?
nope just bad web design. if you login to the BA NDC (TA system) then you get all the options you can possible have. Also the old BA multi city tool offered all the possible connections, the only issue was with that it didn't provided prices during the selection so it was hard to find with that tool the cheap flights. Now the new tool is just rubbish to be honest.
GlasgowBlue and renila like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Krisz
Now the new tool is just rubbish to be honest.
I repeat: "The new tool is just rubbish."
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
It's something about flights from the regions (EDI at least) that has not been working properly to book online for many months.
Sorry but the only useful way I have found is just to call and get them to do it, occasionally the multi-city tool for BA Holidays works though.

I appreciate that is not a good solution for people who don't have access to a relatively prompt call pick-up.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 8:39 am

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist
With the multi-city booking tool on ba.com refusing any cooperation on selecting suitable flights EDI-LHR-Europe, I resorted to Google Flights, but on selecting options with a connection at LHR larger than about 3 hrs and following the link to book with BA, I regularly get a 'sold out' message and only fully-flexible fares appear to be offered. What is going on here? I don't have any issue with > 3 hrs connections at LHR, have done this for decades, and now I cannot book them anymore??? Why would BA want to sell me flights instead with a substantial risk that I would miss them?
You actually want to spend time in GF?
Think if you miss your flight you could get compensation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.