FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Confirms “Refresh” of Galleries T5B Lounge & Whispering Angel Rose Bar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2124325-ba-confirms-irefreshn-galleries-t5b-lounge-whispering-angel-rose-bar.html)

YClass Jun 8, 2023 1:01 am

It's a perfectly decent rose and a recognisable one at that - I don't get the aversion to the drink itself. Certainly no where near the level of Blue Nun and the like. If it is at the expense of something meaningfully better, then sure, it's veiled "enhancement". It has become popular around the world, but that doesn't mean its bad? And if people do or do not drink something because of what someone they don't even know does, then I think there lies the issue! Drink what you want when you want.

So long as people don't have so much they go from Whispering Angels to screaming b**** then I think we are all OK. But that goes for all drinks on offer. How the bar itself might look is another matter and I reserve judgment until we've seen it!

Steve_ZA Jun 8, 2023 1:31 am

Wasn’t there recent talk of an F lounge area/section in T5B?

flybymonkey Jun 8, 2023 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Jambon87 (Post 35312132)
Next up is Blue Nun on Tap 😁

You get Blue Nun in the OSL lounge :D

Oxon Flyer Jun 8, 2023 4:48 am

BA Confirms “Refresh” of Galleries T5B Lounge & Whispering Angel Rose Bar
I fear that, without a complete mastery of the use of L'accent Aigu, punters will be asking who “Whispering Angel Rose” is ….

corporate-wage-slave Jun 8, 2023 6:01 am

There is now a large display in CCR, just past seat 1F by the main bar. On past precedent, this indicates a fairly hefty marketing deal with the suppliers of the wine to BA.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/wNuRwb.jpg

rockflyertalk Jun 8, 2023 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Duck1981 (Post 35313519)
Do we have any idea about the logistics (when the refurb happens and how long) and if T5B will be closed completely?

I don’t know but reading the press release it’s reupholstering and layout changes! That sounds like a few hours overnight work to move things about and get new reupholstered items in. It’s a shame IF that’s the case because I’m sure we all love to hear that a lounge is being closed for X months due to a complete refurb.New everything. It doesn’t sound like that’s on the cards for T5B at least.

PGberkshire Jun 8, 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by aks120 (Post 35312273)
I read this thread - having seen many other threads shouting for changes and improvements ….. and I really do wonder if anything would make the FT crowd happy! I very much doubt it.

Regards

aks120

I agree with you, but this isn't an improvement. Its a tacky, cheap and crappy wine. In no way is this cool / trendy / of a luxury proposition. BA should avoid.

choosethedrew Jun 8, 2023 10:05 am

Originally Posted by rockflyertalk (Post 35314465)
I don’t know but reading the press release it’s reupholstering and layout changes! That sounds like a few hours overnight work to move things about and get new reupholstered items in. It’s a shame IF that’s the case because I’m sure we all love to hear that a lounge is being closed for X months due to a complete refurb.New everything. It doesn’t sound like that’s on the cards for T5B at least.

And if a full refurb is not on the cards for T5B, why would it be different for any other of the T5 lounges?

I know the focus of this thread has been about the wine, but this is major news from BA, the latest we had heard was that the LHR lounges were getting a full refurb - not a 'refresh'. Is BA minded to conduct a full refurb after a recent 'refresh'? Unlikely.

I had therefore hoped for an imminent lounge renewal press release, setting out details, timelines and budget, like Qantas did (which is hardly known for profligacy, or not generating profits or shareholder returns) but it would seem I am being naïve inexpecting BA to invest similarly.

xenole Jun 8, 2023 10:33 am

At least they've not used the term "enhancement" as of yet, so there's some small glimmer of hope here.

That picture of the bottle is probably their entire stock, or all we'll end up seeing of it.

aks120 Jun 8, 2023 10:35 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 35314477)
In no way is this cool / trendy / of a luxury proposition.

:D In no way is BA cool, trendy or of a luxury proposition so it may just be perfect!

Regards

aks120

YClass Jun 8, 2023 10:37 am

Originally Posted by PGberkshire (Post 35314477)
I agree with you, but this isn't an improvement. Its a tacky, cheap and crappy wine. In no way is this cool / trendy / of a luxury proposition. BA should avoid.

Disagree. Is this a flagship “first class” wine, no. But it’s also not what you describe at all and certainly on par with what’s offered in J.

Seems like a fine change to try something new. It clearly won’t be for forever and it’s a fresh change. A legit upgrade to white or red would barely be noticed i’d expect.

PUCCI GALORE Jun 8, 2023 10:39 am

Originally Posted by flybymonkey (Post 35311529)
A very interesting choice by BA. Whispering Angel is a very controvertial, averaging around £20 a bottle

in my experience very popular with women than men. .

Indeed? I speak for myself only but I would far rather have a man than a Whispering Angel, thank you very much ;). Did you mean that it appeals to women more than men? I doubt that very much - most of us ladies have actually graduated from Mateus Rosé a while back

Since we are discussing wine and men - what has the £20 price tag got to do with anything? Price is not a measure of quality - Petra is the best rosé (no I have not mastered aigus on a QWERTY keyboard) in France and it is half the price according to Figaro Magazine. I cannot tell as I do not drink it except in the height of summer - to me it works far better in cooking than white. France has a love affair with Rosé and it outstrips whites nowadays. This day was bound to down although Air France has kept it out of their cellar (Thank God).

What I do intend to do is to try it for myself before slagging it off - I would only have a small drop - but who knows? I might like it. Still while there is a choice between Champagne and any other wine then I drink in the Lounge as I do at home. Champagne.

rockflyertalk Jun 8, 2023 10:41 am

Originally Posted by choosethedrew (Post 35314532)
And if a full refurb is not on the cards for T5B, why would it be different for any other of the T5 lounges?

I know the focus of this thread has been about the wine, but this is major news from BA, the latest we had heard was that the LHR lounges were getting a full refurb - not a 'refresh'. Is BA minded to conduct a full refurb after a recent 'refresh'? Unlikely.

I had therefore hoped for an imminent lounge renewal press release, setting out details, timelines and budget, like Qantas did (which is hardly known for profligacy, or not generating profits or shareholder returns) but it would seem I am being naïve inexpecting BA to invest similarly.

I don’t know but out of all the T5 lounges, B must have the lowest traffic and use, someone on here might know that?! The big lounges complex next to security would surely be the place to start a full gutting and refurb. You could send people to B lounge whilst there are closures.

I agree a plan and details about the future of the lounges would be very welcome. Not just… we’re updating a few items and putting in short term pop ups.

Ldnn1 Jun 8, 2023 10:47 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE (Post 35314612)
Did you mean that it appeals to women more than men? I doubt that very much - most of us ladies have actually graduated from Mateus Rosé a while back

It's pretty damn obvious that Whispering Angel, and rosé in general, appeals more to women than men. That's not to say men don't drink it or like it (I do), but often in the company of women, and clearly the core target market for this brand proposition - and especially the instagram potential - is women.

That's not a criticism of the wine or the lounge offering at all. I think it fits quite well, as orbitmic says. But let's not kid ourselves here.

itsmeitisss Jun 8, 2023 10:57 am

Nothing wrong with Whispering Angel, too much snobbery about it here.