FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   BA Confirms “Refresh” of Galleries T5B Lounge & Whispering Angel Rose Bar (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2124325-ba-confirms-irefreshn-galleries-t5b-lounge-whispering-angel-rose-bar.html)

EuropeanPete Jun 7, 2023 10:02 am

BA's attempts at branding things (remember the Diageo cocktail bar in GC? Let's not talk about the Krug headlined bar in the Chelsea) seem to inevitably be short-lived, so let's see how this goes. I would be surprised if it lasts beyond 6 months to a year.

VSLover Jun 7, 2023 10:05 am

good and bad for whispering angel: good they will get loads of branding opportunities in T5B, the good is whispering angel will also save loads by low volumes consumed thanks to BAs/LHRs inability to inform pax of a T5B departure in any timely manner

gustavmahler Jun 7, 2023 10:06 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 35311807)
BA's attempts at branding things (remember the Diageo cocktail bar in GC? Let's not talk about the Krug headlined bar in the Chelsea) seem to inevitably be short-lived, so let's see how this goes. I would be surprised if it lasts beyond 6 months to a year.

I remember that! I had several Singapore slings before a domestic flight once. That was years ago - 2011 maybe?

Cw novice Jun 7, 2023 10:13 am

Originally Posted by VSLover (Post 35311820)
good and bad for whispering angel: good they will get loads of branding opportunities in T5B, the good is whispering angel will also save loads by low volumes consumed thanks to BAs/LHRs inability to inform pax of a T5B departure in any timely manner

I would imagine it will be available in all lounges as part of the deal.

The bar will become very instagramable for those going off on long haul trips so win win for BA

VSLover Jun 7, 2023 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Cw novice (Post 35311842)
I would imagine it will be available in all lounges as part of the deal.

The bar will become very instagramable for those going off on long haul trips so win win for BA

i presumed as such.

im just happy there is a rose--the first time i had rose (wine) on a plane was jetblue years ago and wondered why it took airlines so long to add one for summer flights.

volar Jun 7, 2023 10:19 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete (Post 35311807)

Exactly. And hasn't this lounge been recently refreshed with new furniture already? So just a temporary pop-up bar for the summer is all I'm seeing here (with a refreshed layout to accommodate it). Sorry for being cynical (and I probably would use this bar when I'm there) but what is desperately needed is a renovation of the A gates lounges, particularly the bathrooms.

orbitmic Jun 7, 2023 10:22 am

I think it's great. And I don't see anything weird with doing a Whispering Angel bar in that hopefully, they will also serve some of the other Chatean d'Esclans wines = there are many, and many excellent ones! (sadly, I don't suppose that the Garrus will be on offer but if anyone from BA is reading this, how about giving it to us in the CCR huh? ;) )

Whilst the Whispering Angel is by no means my favourite rose, I do think it is very good and very enjoyable, far more so than, say, some snobbish stuff which only benefits from the vip status of their Hollywood owners! :p This is a real wine, it is very elegant - oh, and in reference to one of the comments above, I'm a guy (but then I couldn't care less if people think it's a woman's wine: after all, my favourite Bordeaux area is Pomerol, which has been described time and again as a women's wine appellation, so I'll more than happily embrace my feminine side if this is how people care to call it!)

Anyway, you'll never please everyone with a wine choice, so I'm not surprised some fellow FTers are uninterested, but I personally think that this is excellent news for the T5B lounge!

xenole Jun 7, 2023 10:36 am

Originally Posted by volar (Post 35311866)
Exactly. And hasn't this lounge been recently refreshed with new furniture already? So just a temporary pop-up bar for the summer is all I'm seeing here (with a refreshed layout to accommodate it). Sorry for being cynical (and I probably would use this bar when I'm there) but what is desperately needed is a renovation of the A gates lounges, particularly the bathrooms.

That's what I'm expecting. Like the little tents they had ages ago on the terrace of GF for some drinks promo.

At the very least, it may bring a few adults out of GC to an area with less children running wild?

Never heard of the wine myself, and not the slightest bit bothered about trying it to honest. I've said before, they all taste the same to me.
I'll remain in GF or the CCR until a definitive gate is announced by which there will be maybe times for a glass or two should I decide to slowly head over there at that point.

As for being something for Instagram, not sure if people will be flocking droves for that.
(They'll probably do a JFK Chelsea style press function and run out of the good stuff before the masses get to use it!)

andymcdonnell Jun 7, 2023 11:17 am

Terribly overrated tack IMO. What’s next, a blossom hill bar or a Santa Rita 120 one?

Rather than chasing gimmicks just get decent wines in the lounges and on board

Jambon87 Jun 7, 2023 11:52 am

Originally Posted by andymcdonnell (Post 35312032)
Terribly overrated tack IMO. What’s next, a blossom hill bar or a Santa Rita 120 one?

Rather than chasing gimmicks just get decent wines in the lounges and on board

Next up is Blue Nun on Tap 😁

subject2load Jun 7, 2023 11:59 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic (Post 35311875)
I think it's great. And I don't see anything weird with doing a Whispering Angel bar in that hopefully, they will also serve some of the other Chatean d'Esclans wines = there are many, and many excellent ones! ………..

……………….Anyway, you'll never please everyone with a wine choice, so I'm not surprised some fellow FTers are uninterested, but I personally think that this is excellent news for the T5B lounge!

orbitmic, I totally agree that the merits of an initiative such as this will inevitably be judged according to personal taste and interest.

I myself tend to consume very limited quantities of alcohol, both in lounges and onboard so I’m pretty ambivalent on this latest development. Whilst I can’t be alone in that perspective, I’m equally well aware that alcohol - in one form or another - represents a key part of the travel ‘experience’ for a sizeable percentage of FT-ers - of which no criticism. It will undoubtedly be welcomed by many (including your good-self !) ; but as per your own comment, you’ll never please everyone with a wine choice - or indeed with any new facility.

Setting aside the matter of just how popular or long-lasting this eventually proves to be, I think it’s fair to say that amongst the range of issues to which BA customers may rightly expect the airline’s management to devote urgent attention, the creation of a Whispering Angel bar would come some considerable way down the wish-list (if it even makes the list at all ……)

Tiger_lily Jun 7, 2023 12:21 pm

VS are having Whispering Angel until October I think so perhaps it will swap over to BA then?
EDIT: Just seen it’s the summer that this supposed to be happening

aks120 Jun 7, 2023 12:48 pm

I read this thread - having seen many other threads shouting for changes and improvements ….. and I really do wonder if anything would make the FT crowd happy! I very much doubt it.

Regards

aks120

gms Jun 7, 2023 12:51 pm

Is this the modern-day equivalent of Babycham?

JAXBA Jun 7, 2023 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by subject2load (Post 35312155)
I think it’s fair to say that amongst the range of issues to which BA customers may rightly expect the airline’s management to devote urgent attention, the creation of a Whispering Angel bar would come some considerable way down the wish-list (if it even makes the list at all ……)

Might it be possible that there are BA managers who are responsible for urgent issues, and different BA managers who will accept some marketing funds to run a short promo, where the funds reduce BA's cost of providing this wine? BA's lounge catering manager can't have much joy in the job with the budget they're given…

I don't mind promos within the lounge, as long as they fit within the brand. If I have to see an advert in the airport, it helps if it's giving samples...