Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is First Wing reentry possible with short haul on different booking?

Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

If your group arrives inbound on First on one booking, then exits security and customs, reclaims bags, can you then use the First Wing to recheck on a second booking in Club Europe (short haul) by showing your inbound same day First boarding pass. My assumption is yes because you can enter Concorde this way, and First Wing would follow the same entry requirements. Anyone do something like this?

As to why I have to recheck, my family is flying inbound international to LHR in First, and then connecting to CDG in Club Europe. However when I booked these flights I booked in two separate reward bookings for each leg, since they were booked as far out as possible when the first batch of reward seats is initially released (originally booked as J, ~365 days before), and due to the overnight that meant the reward releases were across two different days, so I snagged them incrementally as to be sure I got the seats (since they only release 4)

Several months later I found out that BA no longer allows rechecking bags across bookings, so I tried to rebook, but was told that it wasnt possible to reuse the reward seats I had in the rebook, I was told when releasing they might get retaken by the system and not released again, or snatched by someone else. Oh well!

I have Gold but can only bring 1 guest with that. Later I got lucky and after an equipment switch was able to snag a POUG so these are all in F on the inbound now, so that has me thinking I can use First Wing and at least speed up the recheck process.

Thanks!
Old Jun 3, 2023, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Originally Posted by n1hl1
Several months later I found out that BA no longer allows rechecking bags across bookings, so I tried to rebook, but was told that it wasnt possible to reuse the reward seats I had in the rebook, I was told when releasing they might get retaken by the system and not released again, or snatched by someone else. Oh well!
I don't know the answer to your question. However, I would ask at check-in if you can be checked through. Usually, when asked where I am going, I say something like "Paris via London". They usually come back and say, "it's separate bookings, I can't check the baggage through" however once or twice it's been done for me by an outstation. So I would ask about it, without saying you know that BA don't do that.

I'm sure someone else will know the answer to your question though re First Wing.
n1hl1 likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA Amex Prem, BA Amex Business, Amex Platinum, Coutts Silk, Hilton Diamond etc.
If your group arrives inbound on First on one booking, then exits security and customs, reclaims bags, can you then use the First Wing to recheck on a second booking in Club Europe (short haul) by showing your inbound same day First boarding pass. My assumption is yes because you can enter Concorde this way, and First Wing would follow the same entry requirements. Anyone do something like this?

As to why I have to recheck, my family is flying inbound international to LHR in First, and then connecting to CDG in Club Europe. However when I booked these flights I booked in two separate reward bookings for each leg, since they were booked as far out as possible when the first batch of reward seats is initially released (originally booked as J, ~365 days before), and due to the overnight that meant the reward releases were across two different days, so I snagged them incrementally as to be sure I got the seats (since they only release 4)

I have Gold but can only bring 1 guest with that. Later I got lucky and after an equipment switch was able to snag a POUG so these are all in F on the inbound now, so that has me thinking I can use First Wing and at least speed up the recheck process.

Thanks!
Yes thats fine just keep the inbound BPs to show at TFW and the CCR, where you will also be allowed access.
n1hl1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlightDetective
I don't know the answer to your question. However, I would ask at check-in if you can be checked through. Usually, when asked where I am going, I say something like "Paris via London". They usually come back and say, "it's separate bookings, I can't check the baggage through" however once or twice it's been done for me by an outstation. So I would ask about it, without saying you know that BA don't do that.
Thanks for the tip! Thats interesting it occasionally went through/allowed. I wonder if since the process to do that is now rare, if it increases the risk with bag handling issues? I take it yours came through fine?
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:34 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci
Thanks for the tip! Thats interesting it occasionally went through/allowed. I wonder if since the process to do that is now rare, if it increases the risk with bag handling issues? I take it yours came through fine?
Well, BA still allow through baggage check when it's all on one ticket, so as long as it's tagged to the final destination by the check-in staff, it makes no difference whatsoever from all the other bags that are done the same way on single tickets. No additional risk in the handling at all. I have had no issues whatsoever with it when it's been done outside of the rules.

Last time I recall was HNL-SEA-LHR on one ticket and LHR-DUB on the other. The Alaska Airlines staff at HNL checked it through onto the separate ticket without batting an eyelid. All I said was that I was going to Dublin - they did the rest without any prompting from me. So my advice is to play dumb at check-in and just say you're going to Paris when asked, and see how you get on.
SxMan and n1hl1 like this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 8:54 am

Yes, you should be able to use the first wing, like others have said play it dumb and try to do anything you can to get your bag checked thru, luggage at LHR has been a challenge this summer, somedays it is easy and other days there are issues more days with issues than there should be so avoid that step if you can.
n1hl1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 12:59 pm

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
Originally Posted by FlightDetective
Last time I recall was HNL-SEA-LHR on one ticket and LHR-DUB on the other. The Alaska Airlines staff at HNL checked it through onto the separate ticket without batting an eyelid. All I said was that I was going to Dublin - they did the rest without any prompting from me. So my advice is to play dumb at check-in and just say you're going to Paris when asked, and see how you get on.
This has a lot more to do with AS generous policy on separate tickets than BA, which will almost certainly not entertain such requests.
Old Jun 4, 2023, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by SilverChris
This has a lot more to do with AS generous policy on separate tickets than BA, which will almost certainly not entertain such requests.
BAs policy is indeed clear. But rightly or wrongly some agents are willing to ignore it. And more still are so poorly trained (particularly at outstations) that if you tell them youre connecting and Amadeus can find it, they will accept it. To be honest, this summer its going to be in BAs interest to require as little handling and loading onto reclaim belts as possible at LHR, so it wouldnt surprise me if they started turning a blind eye more often in any case.
FlightDetective likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2023, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Confus
BAs policy is indeed clear. But rightly or wrongly some agents are willing to ignore it. And more still are so poorly trained (particularly at outstations) that if you tell them youre connecting and Amadeus can find it, they will accept it. To be honest, this summer its going to be in BAs interest to require as little handling and loading onto reclaim belts as possible at LHR, so it wouldnt surprise me if they started turning a blind eye more often in any case.
So BTW I just wanted to post an update. I just got back from this trip, and this tip totally worked (thanks FlightDetective Confus and others that suggested it. The BA check-in agent in the First line in ORD checked these all the way through for us, and this was a huge time-save. For it to work, though, she had to remove our online check-in, and then check us in manually in the system. So anyone else that sees this thread, its definitely worth trying.

Thanks!
AJA_ and mgiarc like this.
Old Jul 5, 2023, 4:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, IB Platino, TP Gold
In February I flew JFK-LHR in F, then LHR-DUB in separate booking, no problem using the First Wing (BA Silver at the time) and Concorde room, just showed my long haul flight boarding pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.