Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Ticket Online

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2023, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Caribbean Miles Silver, Club Caribbean
Changing Ticket Online

I'm trying to change my World Traveller Plus booking. It says +€7 but then It's only giving me Club World at a lot more. Is this a fault?

And when I call the centre they are trying to change me into a fully flex.

Changing my ticket isn’t essential. But, I want to change so I can use avios to upgrade to Club

Last edited by BA2158; May 31, 2023 at 4:28 pm
Old May 31, 2023, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I don't understand why you think you need to change your ticket if you want to use Avios to upgrade - and I assume you mean on the long haul flight. All WT+ fare classes are eligible to be upgraded using Avios to Club World. BA2239 (LGW - POS) currently has four Avios seats available in Club World on the 11th July. There's no availability for the MAD - LHR sector on 10th July.

You should be able to ring BA and tell them that you want to Upgrade Using Avios from WT+ to Club World. It should really be that simple.
Old May 31, 2023, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
I don't understand why you think you need to change your ticket if you want to use Avios to upgrade - and I assume you mean on the long haul flight. All WT+ fare classes are eligible to be upgraded using Avios to Club World. BA2239 (LGW - POS) currently has four Avios seats available in Club World on the 11th July. There's no availability for the MAD - LHR sector on 10th July.

You should be able to ring BA and tell them that you want to Upgrade Using Avios from WT+ to Club World. It should really be that simple.
Sorry I wasn’t clear. I’m currently booked on July 9th LGW-POS. Trying to change to July 11th to be able to upgrade. Having issues with the change.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Ok, that helps. Is this the return portion of your ticket or is it the outward? If it's the outward then the whole itinerary will be repriced based on current fares and you will almost certainly pay a change fee as well. The easiest way to ascertain this would be to do a dummy booking for the itinerary and you'll see what the current fares are. If you have already flown the outward and this is the return then any changes should be calculated based on the historic fares at the time you made the original booking. Almost certainly there will still be a change fee. The exact amount will depend on the precise fare rules that apply to your ticket.

I am not sure why BA are saying you need to change to a fully flexible ticket? They should be able to reprice the original booking based on the date change and tell you what that is, and then apply the upgrade. It may - possibly - work out cheaper to simply upgrade using cash.
Old May 31, 2023, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Geordie405
Ok, that helps. Is this the return portion of your ticket or is it the outward? If it's the outward then the whole itinerary will be repriced based on current fares and you will almost certainly pay a change fee as well. The easiest way to ascertain this would be to do a dummy booking for the itinerary and you'll see what the current fares are. If you have already flown the outward and this is the return then any changes should be calculated based on the historic fares at the time you made the original booking. Almost certainly there will still be a change fee. The exact amount will depend on the precise fare rules that apply to your ticket.

I am not sure why BA are saying you need to change to a fully flexible ticket? They should be able to reprice the original booking based on the date change and tell you what that is, and then apply the upgrade. It may - possibly - work out cheaper to simply upgrade using cash.
It’s actually a one-way ticket. When I go online and try book the itinerary I want to change to, €7 more expensive than my original booking.

I will try calling one more time tomorrow. The agent seemed a little incompetent.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 12:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BA2158
It’s actually a one-way ticket. When I go online and try book the itinerary I want to change to, €7 more expensive than my original booking.

I will try calling one more time tomorrow. The agent seemed a little incompetent.
Normally one way tickets over the Atlantic are expensive but flexible. In other words BA/IAG tries to keep lower cost inflexible tickets to return flights only and this is a hugely important aspect of the airlines' approach to revenue management. So normally if you were on a flexible ticket then moving to another day would only cost a fare difference plus any change fee. Changes could be low cost or zero. However some markets (Point of Sale) are different, and Spain is one of them. This is thanks to the fact that competing airlines such as TAP and RAM do have cheaper trans Atlantic one-way fares, but are restricted fares. IAG uses Level to try and control this to some degree. But from Spain it is possible to find inflexible one-way tickets. In your case there may not be a through fare to Port of Spain too, it may be an add-on fare from MAD to LHR, which in turn could be inflexible. So a lot hinges on the precise fare rules of the ticket you originally bought. Hopefully you retained a record of these fare rules, or they are visible in MMB, to see whether the agent was correct to upgrade the ticket to flexible and then move it or not.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Normally one way tickets over the Atlantic are expensive but flexible. In other words BA/IAG tries to keep lower cost inflexible tickets to return flights only and this is a hugely important aspect of the airlines' approach to revenue management. So normally if you were on a flexible ticket then moving to another day would only cost a fare difference plus any change fee. Changes could be low cost or zero. However some markets (Point of Sale) are different, and Spain is one of them. This is thanks to the fact that competing airlines such as TAP and RAM do have cheaper trans Atlantic one-way fares, but are restricted fares. IAG uses Level to try and control this to some degree. But from Spain it is possible to find inflexible one-way tickets. In your case there may not be a through fare to Port of Spain too, it may be an add-on fare from MAD to LHR, which in turn could be inflexible. So a lot hinges on the precise fare rules of the ticket you originally bought. Hopefully you retained a record of these fare rules, or they are visible in MMB, to see whether the agent was correct to upgrade the ticket to flexible and then move it or not.
Very informative. Thanks. It makes sense to why booking LGW-POS was almost double the price.

I think it ended up being hang up and try another agent.

Got a super efficient lady from the UK centre. Changed for £5. Then upgraded to Club with avios + tax.
Geordie405 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.