Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Expensing a EUR280 Moncler shirt as overnight expense - BAH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum

Well, not me, but the following is my friend's situation:

He currently stays in a £500 a night hotel in VCE via BAH. Flight cancelled as part of the larger IT issue, rebooked for next day (today).

The Gentleman called BAH and he says call center agent confirmed that he can expense a EUR230 shirt plus a Boss undershirt worth EUR50 as he is a) Emerald b) on a BAH holiday where the night is EUR500 so c) EUR280 for shirts are relatively ok compared to overall costs trip costs. He obviously called the same call center again and agent confirmed that costs are ok.

Now I am so surprised by that BAH generosity that I thought I bet a pint with him that BA won't ultimately pay for that. I hope I am up for a freebie?

D
Old May 27, 2023, 5:22 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BAH will pay that, but clearly those who take the Mick won't make it easier for those who are more sensible.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BAH will pay that, but clearly those who take the Mick won't make it easier for those who are more sensible.
I would never have expected that as I thought that cannot be reasonable at all, but ok, happy to buy him a beer!

Thanks
The _Banking_Scot and wrp96 like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Would the hotel not launder something ? I wouldn't dream of paying that for a one day delay, and I am in a more expensive hotel on a BAH next week....
HIDDY, nancypants, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
I don't think my whole wardrobe is even worth a 1/4 of that.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
50 euro for a vest? I bet the ones in Primark are just as good, and you could probably buy a hundred.
MaxFlyer, endoman, stifle and 7 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I think the arguments proposed are largely irrelevant. Neither status nor cost of hotel night nor whether it is booked as part of a holiday have anything to do with what is or is not a reasonable need when. Stranded somewhere against one’s choice.

I’m also unclear that such a need even exists based on a cancelled flight (as opposed to being left without one’s luggage as I presume your friend still has his).

when it comes to how I deal with missing luggage, my personal philosophy is a simple one: I get what I need to be comfortable and do what I have planned to do and which I’d be happy to pay for if it was my fault and I had just forgotten to pack it. If it’s just a toothbrush, paste and deodorant, so be it, if the plan was to go on a hike and I miss shoes and a jumper then I buy them, and if I’m invited for a wedding and it’s a suit that tough luck for Ba. In all cases I go for what I can honestly say I needed and it makes me more reassured that it will enable me to stand my ground than if I were being unreasonable and knew it.

Last edited by orbitmic; May 27, 2023 at 9:24 am
Old May 27, 2023, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Also those who take the mick may well find a flag against their name on the system making future claims somewhat more demanding on one's time, shall we say.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
@ Duck 1981 - unless your friend has already (?) got the cash safely in his account, there’s a chance your bet might yet be safe !
Yes, BAH support has seemingly ‘authorised’ these outlandish expenses, and they may indeed readily cough up. Equally, it would not be the first time a contact centre agent has made a commitment which is subsequently not fulfilled without a real fight (or even not fulfilled at all ……)
Old May 27, 2023, 8:21 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Duck1981
Well, not me, but the following is my friend's situation:

He currently stays in a £500 a night hotel in VCE via BAH. Flight cancelled as part of the larger IT issue, rebooked for next day (today).

The Gentleman called BAH and he says call center agent confirmed that he can expense a EUR230 shirt plus a Boss undershirt worth EUR50 as he is a) Emerald b) on a BAH holiday where the night is EUR500 so c) EUR280 for shirts are relatively ok compared to overall costs trip costs. He obviously called the same call center again and agent confirmed that costs are ok.

Now I am so surprised by that BAH generosity that I thought I bet a pint with him that BA won't ultimately pay for that. I hope I am up for a freebie?

D
Well unlike flight only BAH will certainly pay for another night at the hotel your friend booked and £500 a night in Venice doesn't buy you much hotel at this time of year - BAH would pay for an extra night at the Cipriani or the Danieli if either were the hotel you originally booked with them.

As for the shirt, i suspect BA will pay (i think the claim has to go to BA not BAH) but as others have said it seems a bit excessive and i for one wouldn't do that unless all my other shirts were from that manufacturer. Plenty of shirts available for 50 to 70 euro in Venice today (I'm there now).

Your friend can also claim uk261 compensation as well so he can afford to buy you a drink in any case.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by subject2load
@ Duck 1981 - unless your friend has already (?) got the cash safely in his account, there’s a chance your bet might yet be safe !
Yes, BAH support has seemingly ‘authorised’ these outlandish expenses, and they may indeed readily cough up. Equally, it would not be the first time a contact centre agent has made a commitment which is subsequently not fulfilled without a real fight (or even not fulfilled at all ……)
BAH have been very good to us during disruptions. Paying for an extra day at a Caribbean AI, paying 50% of an upgrade due to availability issues, automatic rebooking of Avis and refunding a lost day's rental within 24h. They do seem to have Customer Care at the core of their setup.

I will not comment on the price of clothes ... I usually buy at TJ Maxx.
Old May 27, 2023, 8:56 am

Your friend does not have his luggage?
Old May 27, 2023, 9:22 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by sbs2716g
Your friend does not have his luggage?
I may be unfair to the Op's friend but it seems from the description that once his existing set of 210 euro shirts have been worn for the holiday they are discarded, rather than being laundered, or shudder, used for another day.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:16 am

Useful info, I had no idea such entitlement existed.

Is the argument that hotel laundry won’t do because the flight was cancelled with short notice and laundry at the hotel will take too long or is after the cutoff?
Old May 27, 2023, 10:20 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
How utterly ridiculous. I hope that BA sling it out. It is people like your friend Duck1981 who bring the whole claim situation more difficult for the rest. Simply outrageous I might add the range looks most dull and ordinary - clearly some people have more money that taste.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.