Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Avios in First = double cash price of Club but fewer Avios?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL

Is this an error or just 'new BA'?
LHR-JNB is £450 return in Club and 180000 Avios.
Or it's £860.34 in First but 170000 Avios.
I am perplexed...
Old May 27, 2023, 1:57 am

Isn't this Long Haul Reward Flight Saver in action for Club which isn't available in First?
SxMan, efincomputer and golfmad like this.

Last edited by umba815; May 27, 2023 at 1:58 am Reason: Delete extraneous 'the".
Old May 27, 2023, 2:07 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
This is because of reward flight saver, which means you can pay more Avios and less cash for club, but that isn’t available for F. When you look at the options for how much Avios and cash you pay for club, there should be an option which uses the old pricing which would have similar cash price to that F ticket, but fewer Avios.

It does mean though that selecting F one way and J the other is a bad use of Avios now, since you’ll be charged the higher Avios and higher fees, so it will be the same fees as the F ticket, but the same Avios as the J one, so more Avios than just going F both ways.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by zaphod424
It does mean though that selecting F one way and J the other is a bad use of Avios now, since you’ll be charged the higher Avios and higher fees, so it will be the same fees as the F ticket, but the same Avios as the J one, so more Avios than just going F both ways.
But is potentially good if using an Amex 2-4-1 on a Club redemption for 2 as you'd be using one higher amount of Avios but the reduction in cash would apply to both seats.

Last edited by umba815; May 27, 2023 at 2:32 am Reason: Spelling
Old May 27, 2023, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by umba815
But is potentially good if using an Amex 2-4-1 on a Club redemption for 2 as you'd be using one higher amount of Avios but the reduction in cash would apply to both seats.
But there’s no reduction in cash, you pay the same fees as if you’d booked F both ways, but the same Avios as if you’d booked J. So in OP’s example, booking F out and J return would cost £860 + 180k Avios. So would be same cash and fewer Avios to just go F both ways (availability permitting), with or without the 2-4-1.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zaphod424
But there’s no reduction in cash, you pay the same fees as if you’d booked F both ways, but the same Avios as if you’d booked J. So in OP’s example, booking F out and J return would cost £860 + 180k Avios. So would be same cash and fewer Avios to just go F both ways (availability permitting), with or without the 2-4-1.
^ this. Couldn't work out why that was happening with the one-way higher-cabin addition, but that explains it (edit: at 'checkout' it's actually £859.31, so a whole quid cheaper to forego First in one direction!).

Thanks all for the input. I mean it's stupid, right? But it's BA. So there we go.

Last edited by mmxbreaks; May 27, 2023 at 6:04 am
Old May 27, 2023, 6:02 am
Original Poster

I do now have another question though.
Let's say I used the AMEX 2-4-1 to book Club seats, then applied a GUF2 to move into A class First?
How does BA work that out? Assume I'd then end up paying a higher Avios sum initially (180K), get no value rom the GUF2 (actually a 10K Avios 'loss'?), and be charged £410.34 extra per passenger for the privilege? Which - and I know I needn't apply the GUF2 - is surely complete madness that the system can undermine itself as so...
Old May 27, 2023, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC
The other thing the GUF would do for you is that you don’t need avios availability in either cabin. You just need A availability in First.
Old May 27, 2023, 6:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
The other thing the GUF would do for you is that you don’t need avios availability in either cabin. You just need A availability in First.
Without using a space release?
Trying to work out the greatest value I'd get from my current availabilities: I've got 2x space releases and 5x GUF1 at present, expiries ranging from Jan 24 to April 24.
Old May 27, 2023, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
Without using a space release?
Trying to work out the greatest value I'd get from my current availabilities: I've got 2x space releases and 5x GUF1 at present, expiries ranging from Jan 24 to April 24.
No need for space release. So you don’t even need I in Club, just A in First.
golfmad likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
No need for space release. So you don’t even need I in Club, just A in First.
This does make me wonder what I'd actually use the space releases for now, though, as again that requires I/A class to book AFAIK? GUF > joker?
Old May 27, 2023, 6:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Jokers can use D in business and H in economy, so they are still of use there.
golfmad likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Jokers can use D in business and H in economy, so they are still of use there.
What about using a joker on, say, LHR-JFK-LAX with the second segment an AA Prime on a BA codeshare? Something you (in theory) can't do with a GUF but can with a joker? This will help me to figure which ones to apply where for potential incoming bookings...
Old May 27, 2023, 6:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mmxbreaks
What about using a joker on, say, LHR-JFK-LAX with the second segment an AA Prime on a BA codeshare? Something you (in theory) can't do with a GUF but can with a joker? This will help me to figure which ones to apply where for potential incoming bookings...
Your joker could only have an effect on LHR-JFK assuming that is a BA operated and marketed flight, and that this trip is booked on a BA codeshare.
Old May 27, 2023, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Your joker could only have an effect on LHR-JFK assuming that is a BA operated and marketed flight, and that this trip is booked on a BA codeshare.
But I thought GUFs now functioned on AA flights?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.