Community
Wiki Posts
Search

National egates outage

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2023, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
National egates outage

Just landed at T5 and apparently there is a national egates outage so all border entry being manual processed. Current queue both ways down the corridors before border control.

jacksprat, becks1 and Pilou like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:39 am

Great timing (!)
Old May 27, 2023, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Yikes - I wonder if this was a disgruntled UKBF officer accidentally unplugging something to make a point…
SxMan and AJA_ like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 12:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
They never work when I try to use them anyway.
hungry, mikeap, OGG flyer and 3 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
BBC now reporting that all e-gates across the UK are out of action.
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:19 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Is it an IT virus named Suella and part of a cunning plan?
jmd, LCY8737, jrfsp320 and 15 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:23 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by davidcamp6
Is it an IT virus named Suella and part of a cunning plan?
It would take a brave man to do something like that!
LCY8737, SKT-DK, flygirl68 and 9 others like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
Update. Egates back up at T5. Queues moving fast.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: BA S, AA G(1MM), Hilton D
Just confirming what ibbitsc reported above - I came thru at around 8.30, took about 45 mins. The e-gates were re-opened, though still a lengthy wraparound queue before you could enter the arrivals hall. It did seem to my untrained eye, that the queues are clearing. Most frustrating to me was that the trains from B&C gates were taken out of service because, according to a member if staff I asked, "there were too many people in Arrivals so we had to slow you down in getting there". In Arrivals lounge now and hearing folks who arrived earlier talk of 2-3 hours standing in a line.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by loosehead
Most frustrating to me was that the trains from B&C gates were taken out of service because, according to a member if staff I asked, "there were too many people in Arrivals so we had to slow you down in getting there".
This is normal practice when the immigration hall is full and spilling out into the corridor. That last thing you want is a TTS load of passengers arriving via the lifts and escalators with nowhere to go.
flygirl68 and loosehead like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Pilou
Great timing (!)
in fairness, this happens several times a year so randomness has it that it will include both busy and quiet days!
Old May 27, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold HH Gold
Just came through T5 after flight from JFK and they are back up and running. Took around 5 minutes to get through security and my passport worked at the E gates for once!
Old May 27, 2023, 2:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by loosehead
Just confirming what ibbitsc reported above - I came thru at around 8.30, took about 45 mins. The e-gates were re-opened, though still a lengthy wraparound queue before you could enter the arrivals hall. It did seem to my untrained eye, that the queues are clearing. Most frustrating to me was that the trains from B&C gates were taken out of service because, according to a member if staff I asked, "there were too many people in Arrivals so we had to slow you down in getting there". In Arrivals lounge now and hearing folks who arrived earlier talk of 2-3 hours standing in a line.
Were they blocking the way down to the tunnels? Just in case it gives a backup in another occurrence.
Old May 27, 2023, 3:03 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
Originally Posted by Pgoodall
Just came through T5 after flight from JFK and they are back up and running. Took around 5 minutes to get through security and my passport worked at the E gates for once!
That's encouraging to hear - my passport never works in the UK eGates, but has worked perfectly every time in every other country where I can use their eGates..

Hopefully this outage was actually an overnight software upgrade that went longer than expected, but has now fixed some of the longstanding problems with the eGates!
OGG flyer likes this.
Old May 27, 2023, 3:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
My UK passport also doesn’t usually work at the UK e gates and is fine everywhere else too. I found a trick to make it work after some experimenting …. You really have to press your passport firmly onto the scanner, I mean more than you would expect firm …. Then it works flawlessly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.