Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25 & 26 May : LHR Baggage and cancelled flights disruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25 & 26 May : LHR Baggage and cancelled flights disruption

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Global Entry
Apparently Saturday is the first available flight, If the good lady stays overnight in central London & opts for the train tomorrow, will BA cover the train fare?
Old May 25, 2023, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BBC's report of it here, though I can't see any new facts that haven't been mentioned here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65713903
Old May 25, 2023, 12:53 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Thrifty Scotsman
Apparently Saturday is the first available flight, If the good lady stays overnight in central London & opts for the train tomorrow, will BA cover the train fare?
Yes, see the Disruption Thread linked somewhere further up.
Thrifty Scotsman likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:01 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Accor Plat, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Looking at the Hilton network the :LHR hotels are now all full, Syon Park (nice spot on a sunny evening) has some space. But central London is relatively inexpensive for a change.
They must have a room with your name on it, it was already sold out when I searched

Central London might be easier for some people with a forced over-night layover, there are hotels on the piccadilly line/Elizabeth line (Hammersmith and Paddington are under 35 minutes away).
This could avoid the transfer issues, might be cheaper and there would be fewer people in the lines from the disruption.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:02 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GfL
Arrived into BCN (which I know is a lot better then most tonight) but without bags. We can see from the AirTag pings that they are now both at C gates (having been in the main T5 Terminal), just wondering is it likely they have moved to a holding pen or should we take that as good sign they might be moved onto some sort of flight?
I’ll go digging out the delay baggage rules to see how much BA’s CC can be whacked for a weekend in Spain

Pilot37
LancashireFlyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, BAEC Gold (OWE)
Hilton London Metropole is a 10 minute walk from Paddington station, on the Heathrow Express line, and is reasonably priced. I'm here at the moment.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BBC's report of it here, though I can't see any new facts that haven't been mentioned here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65713903
And saying things that we know on here to be generally untrue!

BA said that a majority of its flights had continued to operate, adding that affected customers had been contacted and offered options, including a refund or rebooking onto an alternative flight with the airline or another carrier.
BearX220 likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Do BA ever put a proactive travel waiver in place in situations like this, like weather delays ie you can cancel and rebook for a flight within x number of days?
In my case I have a now inflexible avios return ticket for tomorrow, so 2 sectors, but my travel could actually be undertaken anytime over the next few days.
Would make sense as it would free up seats for people really needing to be somewhere tomorrow.
becks1 likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:20 pm

Yes, they have done this in the past, but I suspect they won't do it here since all focus will be in firefighting. I could be wrong but flights were fairly full on Friday to begin with so a waiver would help.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Originally Posted by aristoph
It's what they sent to me, as well. I just ignored it
Old May 25, 2023, 1:21 pm

Just to add to the day's issues, there is an 11 mile tailback on the M25 clockwise leading into LHR, thanks to a road traffic accident.
becks1 and Mekko like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Amex Plat...
Originally Posted by gcuk
Do BA ever put a proactive travel waiver in place in situations like this, like weather delays ie you can cancel and rebook for a flight within x number of days?
In my case I have a now inflexible avios return ticket for tomorrow, so 2 sectors, but my travel could actually be undertaken anytime over the next few days.
Would make sense as it would free up seats for people really needing to be somewhere tomorrow.
Good luck at them managing that. I wonder if they will let people standby in this case if they suspect some people won't make connecting flights
Old May 25, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by aristoph

BA said that a majority of its flights had continued to operate, adding that affected customers had been contacted and offered options, including a refund or rebooking onto an alternative flight with the airline or another carrier.
Yes, absolutely no contact from BA by email or text. App not working and airport staff unable to help.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: AlaskaAir, AA
This forum is the best. We are currently having an unanticipated stop in the UK. We arrived as CW on BA 274 from Vegas with a planned connection on 322 to CDG. We sat on the tarmac for 50 min.while they waited for a gate to open. At that point we thought our delayed arrival is why we couldn’t get through fast track connection gate. Then we learned the BA 322 to CDG was cancelled. MMB wouldn’t work to book a new flight and we couldn’t get the app to work either. We were finally told to find ourselves a hotel and we would get an email.Finding a hotel with a room took time and when we finally got an email from BA it said we’d need to make our own rebook and if we chose a different route we’d have to pay for our own arrangements.

Currently, no one is showing availability until Saturday. Does BA continue to pay food and lodging if there are no seats available? I don’t see any seats on Friday for either BA, Air France or Iberia.

As we chatted with some in the hotel check-in, some got emails with a rebook. Is there any chance BA has re-booked and just hasn’t sent the email? Available seats even on Sunday are quickly disappearing.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by TredUp53
Currently, no one is showing availability until Saturday. Does BA continue to pay food and lodging if there are no seats available? I don’t see any seats on Friday for either BA, Air France or Iberia.
Yes, they will continue to cover you until you get a flight. I would call up, perhaps tomorrow now, to see if anything sooner is available. Normally the app will find you an alternative, I suspect your longhaul trip may mean that you missed out on that. Another reason for calling is that availability will shake down a lot over the next few hours as people decide not to travel or use other airlines. One option is to consider flying to Lyon - the airport combines a fast train service into Paris. BA will rebook you to LYS on request, they will say you have to pay the onward travel, but this is incorrect, you will be able to claim the train fare.
becks1 and RNdouble like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.