Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

25 & 26 May : LHR Baggage and cancelled flights disruption

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

25 & 26 May : LHR Baggage and cancelled flights disruption

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2023, 7:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
Can anyone confirm how long before the bag is deemed lost? Should we be putting a part claim in now or just wait a bit? Does the EU261 claim get done at the same time or a separate claim?
You can claim EC261 now, along with any out of pocket expenses. Bags are deemed lost at 21 days, which is a little way to go yet. I suspect you will get the bag in the next day or two.
oxtailsoup likes this.
Old May 30, 2023, 8:29 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Originally Posted by OuterBanks
those in other external channels were both aware of issues mounting up at least 24 hours prior to full-meltdown, and that their own channels of communication with BA were, shall we say, more open and honest about what was going on which, for example, enabled them to make alternative arrangements in good time.
do you mean good communications with the travel trade?

It would’ve been better to take certain media correspondents into their confidence ahead of time even with off the record briefings.
Old May 30, 2023, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by SxMan
do you mean good communications with the travel trade?
That's one element yes, travel trade were in a position early doors to either rebook their customers or issue waiver codes that customers could take to airport desks. Its certainly pretty clear-cut that if you were booked through an agent and you were not taken care of, then you need to reconsider that relationship.

I agree with the need for media briefings. Even if the level of detail I heard was not conveyed to journalists, the overall gist of it could have been. But I guess the problem there is clearly the BA callcentres not in a state to be able to handle the subsequent enquiries ... as we all know, even on a good day, hold times are atrocious.
SxMan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You can start all claims without receipts and add them later. Obviously just get your colleague to photo the receipts and send them over to you, that will probably do for BA's purposes.

You could be it all in one claim but my suspicion is that it would be faster if you claimed Right to Care in one claim and the replacement travel in another, since the latter may require more scrutiny. So I would put EC261 + travel in claim1 and Right to Care in claim2. More details in the main EC261 thread. I don't think there is any question that EC261 compensation is payable, even BA are sending out emails inviting people to claim (see upthread).
As follow up - summary was; travel with colleague, I'm Gold she's Blue, CE, Avios booking, Italy-LHR normal then domestic connection cancelled. No bags released by BA (delivered to us days later). Advised to leave airport and make own travel arrangements home, at which point no autorebooking (and MMB still showing original flight operating although screens / staff saying it wasn't). No train seats left, earliest option home by a long way was EZY from LGW the next morning.
Claim submitted to BA for taxi to LGW, hotel overnight, flight home, dinner and breakfast, plus some new clothing (as luggage not available).
They've responded agreeing to pay £350 UK261 each, and agreed to pay expenses for taxi to LGW, overnight hotel and meals.... but state the flight home (£230 X 2 pax) and clothing (about £40 between 2) was consequential loss so won't be paid.
This doesn't sound right - am I best to file an additional complaint, or respond to the existing one (+/- wait a period to enable payment to happen?) Also there's no sign of a partial refund for the cancelled flight which was Avios plus cash....
Any advice welcomed 🙂
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:21 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by so3003
As follow up - summary was; travel with colleague, I'm Gold she's Blue, CE, Avios booking, Italy-LHR normal then domestic connection cancelled. No bags released by BA (delivered to us days later). Advised to leave airport and make own travel arrangements home, at which point no autorebooking (and MMB still showing original flight operating although screens / staff saying it wasn't). No train seats left, earliest option home by a long way was EZY from LGW the next morning.
Claim submitted to BA for taxi to LGW, hotel overnight, flight home, dinner and breakfast, plus some new clothing (as luggage not available).
They've responded agreeing to pay £350 UK261 each, and agreed to pay expenses for taxi to LGW, overnight hotel and meals.... but state the flight home (£230 X 2 pax) and clothing (about £40 between 2) was consequential loss so won't be paid.
This doesn't sound right - am I best to file an additional complaint, or respond to the existing one (+/- wait a period to enable payment to happen?) Also there's no sign of a partial refund for the cancelled flight which was Avios plus cash....
Any advice welcomed 🙂
DId you apply for a refund for the domestic leg? You can't get both a refund and reimbursement of the cost of alternative transport - it's one or the other. I imagine your new flights cost you a lot more than the pro-rata refund you'll be entitled to, so probably best not to apply for a refund.

I'd wait until BA have paid you the compensation and expenses they've agreed to before pursuing it any further - that will just delay them making the interim payment.

BTW - British domestic trains don't sell out, even if they may (misleadingly) appear so in booking sites. You can always just go to the station and buy a walk-up ticket at the ticket machine or ticket office. It depends on how much you paid for EZY, but that may have been a cheaper option. Worth knowing for future reference
so3003 likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2023, 11:42 am

Thanks - no, didn't specifically apply for a refund! I'll see how things play out and further update when able 🙂
Old Jun 11, 2023, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by so3003
Thanks - no, didn't specifically apply for a refund! I'll see how things play out and further update when able 🙂
The flight and clothing is not consequential - BA did not rebook you and they should have done so. So if you are past 8 weeks from the initial complaint you can go to CEDR for the easyJet flight (and I personally don't see the point in waiting) or go MCOL. MCOL is harder work, but may well be quicker.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 6:11 am

Programs: Advantage, BA, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Some late cancellations though they have come through one by one rather than en bloc.

BA544 BLQ
BA878 WAW
BA884 OTP
BA376 TLS
BA874 BUD

There are only another 23 BA flights left to go tonight, hopefully no further cancellations, though there is the late OSL that was due out at 20:40, is waiting for a very late running MRS-LHR to arrive, and is likely to leave well over 3 hours late at midnight or so. I guess that has night stop crew on it, so has to be run. I'll do the stats for the day in my next post but 39 cancellations outbound = 78 in all (approx).
BA874 wasn't IT related.

We were late for pushback due to a shortage of tugs.

Then, as we were taxiing, a door warning light came on so we were diverted to an area where the aircraft could be inspected.

After passing inspection, we were taxiing again only for another warning light to come on in the cockpit. Again, back to an inspection area where we waited over an hour for some stairs for the engineer to enter the cockpit only for the flight to be cancelled four hours after it should have taken off.

I got the impression that the crew didn't want to fly as they were already talking about "out of hours" right from the first delay. I understand that there are rules about how long they can be on duty for, but if it is clear early on that the flight is a no go, why have us sat there for hours knowing that we weren't going to leave LHR that day?

Some bloke with a megaphone essentially said that because of the IT problems from the day before, passengers were on their own wrt booking hotels and rescheduling flights.

Managed to get the last room at the Sheraton and seats on BA866 next morning.

Still waiting for a decision regarding compensation.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold GL, JJC
Was on the Jersey flight that evening. I was told at the Wing by the check-in staff to book another flight even on another carrier and they would reimburse me, as their systems were down. Booked the EasyJet for the next morning leaving LGW. Put in my receipts and EU261 compensation. They have paid for the Taxi, the Sofitel x 2 rooms, supper, and the EU261. Are though refusing to pay for my flights. They then refunded my original flight costs, which was £50.00 less than booking x2 EasyJet flights at the last minute.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by bbjoylove
Was on the Jersey flight that evening. I was told at the Wing by the check-in staff to book another flight even on another carrier and they would reinburse, as their systems were down. Booked the EasyJet for the next morning leaving LGW. Put in my receipts and EU261 compensation. They have paid for the Taxi, the Sofitel x 2 rooms, supper, and the EU261. Are though refusing to pay for my flights. They then refunded my original flight costs, which was £50.00 less than booking x2 EasyJet flights at the last minute.
Did they say the basis on which they're refusing to reimburse the cost of the new flights?
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:03 pm

And if the basis was "consequential loss" then it's not, even under Montréal let alone EC261. I would ask if this is their final response in order to take the matter to CEDR or MCOL.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by bbjoylove
Was on the Jersey flight that evening. I was told at the Wing by the check-in staff to book another flight even on another carrier and they would reimburse me, as their systems were down. Booked the EasyJet for the next morning leaving LGW. Put in my receipts and EU261 compensation. They have paid for the Taxi, the Sofitel x 2 rooms, supper, and the EU261. Are though refusing to pay for my flights. They then refunded my original flight costs, which was £50.00 less than booking x2 EasyJet flights at the last minute.
This is almost identical to my claim (returning to GLA) though in my case. Having told me earlier - see posts above - that the replacement flight (as recommended by BA staff at LHR) was consequential loss, which I challenged, they replied that this was not something they'd reimburse and that I should contact my travel insurance to cover that. Absolute nonsense. They have also suggested contacting them for a part refund of the original cancelled flight (which would be approx £50, vs £460 for two last minute EZY flights home)
Old Jun 19, 2023, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold, Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any idea how long it's taking them to process expenses claims at the moment for the IT ? Both my Partner and I didn't get our bags on arrival in MEX on the 25th May so had to go and buy some clothes etc. Submitted our claims on the 27th and still heard nothing at all back...
Old Jun 21, 2023, 1:56 pm

Programs: AlaskaAir, AA
I’m sorry if this info is on another thread and I’m not finding it. We were caught in the May 25th weekend upheaval and we’re not able to get a flight until May 28th. I’m now home and gathering all the documents to file our claim.

We have an initial booking code for our connecting flight that was cancelled. No new flight was offered and we were emailed to rebook ourselves. That generated a second booking code. That flight was also cancelled, but re-booked at a lower cabin class.

My question is: can we put all of this in one claim? Or do we need to file 2 claims because we have 2 booking codes?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by TredUp53
We have an initial booking code for our connecting flight that was cancelled. No new flight was offered and we were emailed to rebook ourselves. That generated a second booking code. That flight was also cancelled, but re-booked at a lower cabin class.

My question is: can we put all of this in one claim? Or do we need to file 2 claims because we have 2 booking codes?
It looks like you have 3 claims - 2 late cancellations and 1 downgrade. I would be tempted to separate them into 3 claims, while cross referencing the other claims so there is transparency. Make sure you do the Mennens calculation to make sure that is properly applied - see wiki of the EC261 thread.
DaveS likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.