“I’m not First trained”

Old May 25, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I had a similar conversation with a friend who flies Embraer. He confirmed in an emergency situation he would have the basics to land the aircraft regardless of the manufacturer.
Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Hmm, having flown many types and many manufacturers products, I would not be as confident. I could help with the radios and checklists, but to actually land the thing. Your friend is a bolder man than I.
So for those wondering how easy it is to land a commercial airliner in an emergency this very recent Washington Post article is well worth a read: https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ght-simulator/

At the end of the day I don't think I'd be the first one to raise their hand and volunteer but if the choice was letting the plane fly until it ran out of fuel and crashed, or attempting to land at an airport where you have emergency services available I'd probably pull on my big boy pants and give it a go. I think I'd rather be in command of my own destiny in a situation like that.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by flygirl68
Why? Depending on who is working with them, you may have a top experience.

I’m fairly sure I could have got a novice through it without anyone noticing much difference.
Tongue in cheek. I actually praised the scenario of the OP earlier in the thread.
flygirl68 likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold – previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I had a similar conversation with a friend who flies Embraer. He confirmed in an emergency situation he would have the basics to land the aircraft regardless of the manufacturer.
Agree that a pilot would have the basics, but there are clear differences. I found that after learning on a 2 seater, moving to a 4 seater, same manufacturer (Cessna) was a little trickier than expected (bigger and heavier requiring more control input).
However as Waterhorse has pointed out it is MUCH more about the difference in moving from say a Boeing to an Airbus where the cockpit configuration, checklist and how the aircraft flies are different.
flybymonkey likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
The screens are also used in the non-CWS Club World cabins so crew will be familiar with the rules, however until a couple of weeks ago we have not had a video safety briefing for almost 3 years so that is more likely why the video screen was forgotten.
Presumably this is highlighted in SCCM briefings right now and via PA “cabin crew please prepare for a video safety demonstration” would cover it?
Old May 26, 2023, 6:26 am

Programs: Varies
Originally Posted by brightstar100
I was just on a flight in F. The pleasant young cabin crew member proactively told me that they had not been First trained. They did a great job so no complaints.

But what does it say about BA - deploying staff not trained in F on one of its premium heavy, status heavy routes? I suspect this was a route where many, like me, had paid cash to be in the F cabin.
This may have happened to me on my last flight. The crew on my husband's side of the cabin seemed excellent. But I wasn't offered an amenity bag, pyjamas (and when I asked, was given an inappropriate size) , no drink before take-off and no explanation why I couldn't have alcohol when I asked for one. I did eventually get what I needed but had to press the call button a few times. My husband meanwhile was nicely supplied with everything correctly at the right time. The crew member on my side disappeared after meal orders were taken and wasn't seen again. The orders they'd taken (food and wine) were incorrect - I was brought the wrong meal and wrong wine. So perhaps they were being given experience in First Class, resulting in my First Class experience being very poor.

I spoke to a You First person afterwards and said I wouldn't want to fly F again, based on that experience. I think if I'd been told that they weren't trained it would have been less stressful for me; I'd have appreciated the honesty. As it was I didn't know why everything to do with me was going wrong while my husband was getting a First Class experience.

I know my place now - I'll fly CW in future where my expectations will be lower and might be met.
Old May 26, 2023, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by ttama
This may have happened to me on my last flight. The crew on my husband's side of the cabin seemed excellent. But I wasn't offered an amenity bag, pyjamas (and when I asked, was given an inappropriate size) , no drink before take-off
Out of curiosity, which aircraft were you travelling on? I’m wondering if there were 2 or 3 crew working in F? If that crew member on your husband’s side had been me, I would have covered both sides, as many of us have done, many times. Even on a 747 or 777 where there would be 3 crew, they are (should be) a team. Boarding is a busy time and that crew member could’ve easily been caught up with something else.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Simple response to that 'don't worry just don't forget my mid flight milk bath and massage'......would lighten the mood if nothing else.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by flygirl68
Out of curiosity, which aircraft were you travelling on? I’m wondering if there were 2 or 3 crew working in F? If that crew member on your husband’s side had been me, I would have covered both sides, as many of us have done, many times. Even on a 747 or 777 where there would be 3 crew, they are (should be) a team. Boarding is a busy time and that crew member could’ve easily been caught up with something else.
787, with 8 seats in F. The crew member on my husband's side did take over, but seemed stressed and either made mistakes with my food & drink orders or had been given the wrong information (and left some things off even when I got my meal). So on top of not having any sound on my IFE ( and sadly the only spare seat had already been taken by someone who'd been bumped up after take-off while they were still investigating my IFE) and no WiFi as backup, it wasn't a great flight. It's a shame as it was intended as a treat - we normally fly in CW. And, seeing what was happening to me, didn't make my husband's flight that enjoyable either. If BA can't provide a consistent service in one flight, with 8 seats, I see no point in flying F with them again. I will still collect and use avios and companion vouchers, as they're a good deal, but I see no advantage in flying F when CW provides better value.

I did love the Concorde lounge though - the staff there were pure class who seemed to take great pride in their work.
adrianlondon and Grande Annee like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
There are only two crewmembers working in First on the B787, one does the cabin and the other the galley, the galley crewmember should where possible help in the cabin. Sounds like another crewmember came for one of the other cabins to help but then left to work in their rostered position.
flygirl68 and Grande Annee like this.
Old May 26, 2023, 8:41 am

Programs: BA Gold for Life
I would never judge an airline on one flight. My experience with BA F ranges from very poor (only 1 flight thankfully) to very good (quite a few times). At the time it is very difficult when you have paid for a premium service but get far less.
Grande Annee likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by Rubecula
I would never judge an airline on one flight. My experience with BA F ranges from very poor (only 1 flight thankfully) to very good (quite a few times). At the time it is very difficult when you have paid for a premium service but get far less.
Thank you for sharing.

But many of us don't get the chance to experience it multiple times. For many, it's the trip of a lifetime. I appreciate many are either better off than I am, or are in a job that allows them to fly First Class. I'm retired. I was only ever allowed to fly Club when I was working. So the one bad apple flight DOES have an impact. And if the treat that we'd planned for ourselves is staffed by someone who isn't trained in First Class, and gives substandard service that isn't corrected by other crew members (sorry, their "team") , then I feel I was cheated out of what we'd paid for.

And if it is the case that they have to use staff who aren't trained, then I would appreciate the honesty and I would appreciate knowing, in advance how I will be compensated. As it is I received a very sympathetic and professional phone call in response to my complaint. It made me feel that there are people in BA who care about the standard of service they offer. However, as they said, BA can't offer the hard product that some airlines can, so they try to compensate with excellent service. Having untrained staff (if that's what happened to me and IS what happened to the OP) is not how BA should compensate us for their poorer hard product. They can provide excellent service in the Concorde Lounge. They should be able to provide it in the air, no matter whether you fly F all the time or if it's a one-off treat.

But I'm happy that your experiences have tended to be better than mine. I'm not sure if that's supposed to make me feel better?
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by ttama; May 26, 2023 at 11:57 am
Old May 26, 2023, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Well done to the chap for being honest with you about his training. I would have rated him highly.
Waterhorse likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.