Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“I’m not First trained”

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2023, 1:30 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Do you not just press the "land" button? I mean my car only cost £35K and it can park itself. If I'd paid millions for an airliner I'd expect some nifty driver assistant aids. I know Ryanair have the "land like a breezeblock chucked over a wall" option pack.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:37 am

Originally Posted by Waterhorse
Hmm, having flown many types and many manufacturers products, I would not be be as confident. I could help with the radios and checklists, but to actually land the thing. Your friend is a bolder man than I.
I’m sure you would do a better job than me with my 20hrs of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000.
adrianlondon and flybymonkey like this.
Old May 25, 2023, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Blue
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Was this to LHR or LCY?
No 2F on the E190 so must have been LHR or LGW.

Last edited by EJetter; May 25, 2023 at 3:04 am
Old May 25, 2023, 3:27 am

Originally Posted by Freddorick
I’m sure you would do a better job than me with my 20hrs of Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000.
I could give it a go, but you would definitely need a sports bra and gum shields. I would be amazed if you could use the aircraft again.
Old May 25, 2023, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
I had a similar conversation with a friend who flies Embraer. He confirmed in an emergency situation he would have the basics to land the aircraft regardless of the manufacturer.
Hmm, having flown many types and many manufacturers products, I would not be be as confident. I could help with the radios and checklists, but to actually land the thing. Your friend is a bolder man than I.
Cousin flew 737s for BA and now flies Embraers and Gulfstreams. He said if it was a Boeing he would be reasonably confident (bar the 744), but wouldn't want to touch an Airbus!

I think I'd be a bit unnerved to be told the crew member had not been F trained. Not from a service point of view, as I am sure that they would give their best, but more from a safety point of view. I would think there would be certain crew actions in emergencies that would differ between cabins that they may not know for that cabin?.
Old May 25, 2023, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by SpurMan
Cousin flew 737s for BA and now flies Embraers and Gulfstreams. He said if it was a Boeing he would be reasonably confident (bar the 744), but wouldn't want to touch an Airbus!

I think I'd be a bit unnerved to be told the crew member had not been F trained. Not from a service point of view, as I am sure that they would give their best, but more from a safety point of view. I would think there would be certain crew actions in emergencies that would differ between cabins that they may not know for that cabin?.
Crew are fully trained safety wise for any position on the aircraft. The reference to First training is a customer service training thing and in no way refers to any safety related issues.
Old May 25, 2023, 4:43 am

Originally Posted by SpurMan

Being First trained is all about service, not being First trained has zero to do with any lack of safety or security training. Literally nothing.
Old May 25, 2023, 4:53 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It takes situational awareness and experience to know that a Club World steak when thrown in an overhand motion can immobilise and potentially even kill a potential highjacker, whereas a First steak risks being done only medium-well.
Old May 25, 2023, 5:02 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Crew are fully trained safety wise for any position on the aircraft. The reference to First training is a customer service training thing and in no way refers to any safety related issues.
Originally Posted by flygirl68
Being First trained is all about service, not being First trained has zero to do with any lack of safety or security training. Literally nothing.
Does this mean that something like knowing to fold out the IFE screens for the safety demo be covered in all cabin crew training?

So likely the issue in the original post in this thread was more about the fact that the CC had forgotten, likely because they don’t regularly work in F?
Old May 25, 2023, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by lcylocal
Does this mean that something like knowing to fold out the IFE screens for the safety demo be covered in all cabin crew training?

So likely the issue in the original post in this thread was more about the fact that the CC had forgotten, likely because they don’t regularly work in F?
The screens are also used in the non-CWS Club World cabins so crew will be familiar with the rules, however until a couple of weeks ago we have not had a video safety briefing for almost 3 years so that is more likely why the video screen was forgotten.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:51 am

Can you get compensation if it is discovered that crew that are not certified to work certain cabins are?
fluffymitten likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:52 am

Programs: BAEC
Can you get compensation if it is discovered that crew that are not certified to work certain cabins are?
Yes. £10k and lifetime Premier card.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by lcylocal

That would have happened in CW anyway. I left in 2020 and have not been on a BA long haul aircraft since so I’m unfamiliar with any changes. Maybe the other CC member said they would do it, maybe the IFL offered to do that and hadn’t. We don’t know why, I think most of us are capable of opening a screen up by ourselves.

Quite a few times the video would start before we had just got round to doing it. Lots of glasses to put safely away in the galley etc. in CW, not so many in F. The workload for someone unfamiliar with that galley is quite intense, just trying to find where everything is stowed.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:03 am

Why? Depending on who is working with them, you may have a top experience.

I’m fairly sure I could have got a novice through it without anyone noticing much difference.
bisonrav likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 12:03 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
On my recent flight to JFK I had a crew member on my side of the F cabin who wasn't First trained. It seems they had a surfeit of crew on board and they were asked to help out up front. They did a good job but you could tell the difference in service from the person dealing with my partner's side of the cabin. Nothing to complain about, just little touches that showed different levels of familiarity with the whole product.

I think it's good to give crew chance to help out in different cabins - the wider the experience they get, the better they can do their job?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.