Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ongoing issues with BA7 and BA8 Tokyo Haneda service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ongoing issues with BA7 and BA8 Tokyo Haneda service

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2023, 4:22 am

It's taxiing.
LapLap likes this.
Old May 26, 2023, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Over Kazakhstan currently. They got away!

Next BA7 cancellation is Sunday’s (28th May)
yellow_peril and KiteFlyerP like this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 8:02 pm

Programs: United, Virgin, BA, AA
I went to check in for our flight to Tokyo - BA0007 a couple of hours ago, only to see it has been cancelled. No notification whatsoever. We used Avois for Club World. The alternative flights are indirect Economy to CDG and then Premium Economy on JAL - arriving over 24 hours later. This is so disappointing and shocking.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 9:33 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by tonmason
I went to check in for our flight to Tokyo - BA0007 a couple of hours ago, only to see it has been cancelled. No notification whatsoever. We used Avois for Club World. The alternative flights are indirect Economy to CDG and then Premium Economy on JAL - arriving over 24 hours later. This is so disappointing and shocking.
Why not go out QR4 or QR8 connecting with QR806 leaving LHR this afternoon? There's availability in business and the layover is only a couple of hours in DOH. Call BA as soon as you can and they should be able to make this change for you.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:20 pm

Thank you for the advice. My husband is on a mission and we are driving to Heathrow as I type. I will propose the flights you have suggested. However, I wonder if it makes a difference that we used rewards flights and BA will only rebook us on the flights already offered?

I still can’t believe we were not sent notifications of the cancellation.
golfmad likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 10:25 pm

Programs: BA, Avis, Amex
And that's exactly why I try to do this route with JAL as much as humanly possible.

And since I now normally fly this route in PE, another benefit for me is the far superior hard product, with JAL PE seat sliding forward when reclining. Last time I flew this route with BA, the cabin crew were totally disinterested in anything apart from serving meals as fast as possible while avoiding eye contact.

Hope you manage to sort it out, book JAL next time.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As well as this 21st June (non)departure, the BA7 was also cancelled on the 19th June.

Hopefully, this isn’t another emerging pattern.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 12:55 am

Thank you for the advice. My husband is on a mission and we are driving to Heathrow as I type. I will propose the flights you have suggested. However, I wonder if it makes a difference that we used rewards flights and BA will only rebook us on the flights already offered?

I still can’t believe we were not sent notifications of the cancellation.
It may make a difference in BA's mind - but the law is on your side. In event of a cancellation at such short notice, you are entitled to re-routing in comparable conditions.

A non-flat bed is not a comparable condition!
Old Jun 21, 2023, 1:44 am

After finding someone who was actually willing to help we have been booked on Q004 and connecting to Q806. This will have us landing in Narita much later @18:45 instead of 7:10 at Haneda and we still have to make our way to Kyoto. Upon arrival 3 different BA staff fobbed us off with a business card to call centres that was was not even open. There is no customer service desk which I find incredulous. Just a little booklet and a business card, now be on your way to solve it yourself attitude.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 3:04 am

Programs: BAEC silver
After finding someone who was actually willing to help we have been booked on Q004 and connecting to Q806. This will have us landing in Narita much later @18:45 instead of 7:10 at Haneda and we still have to make our way to Kyoto. Upon arrival 3 different BA staff fobbed us off with a business card to call centres that was was not even open. There is no customer service desk which I find incredulous. Just a little booklet and a business card, now be on your way to solve it yourself attitude.
This is all part of the greater service you can expect to receive from British Airways.

QR has a good business cabin and the lounge in DOH was lovely when I visited last. So at least you can enjoy the journey, and I’d say it’ll be an improvement on BA and the general crew attitude these days. I’m imagining you are heading to Kyoto by Shinkansen?

The delays and cancellations reasons thread has your flight listed as being technical, so at least you’ll have £520 each to look forward to if you claim for cancellation compensation given you will be arriving in Tokyo more than 4 hours late. for now, relax and unwind in the QR lounge.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2023, 4:19 am

As others have said, this is how BA operates now with increasing focus on self-service or “sort it out yourself” rather than helpful and available customer service. A helpful BA customer rep who can swiftly sort things out from a desk at Heathrow? How very 1990s of passengers!

As a regular flyer over the last 20 years to and from Japan, many will have seen my posts or comments on the deterioration of the BA Tokyo service to the point where I would actively book a codeshare option rather use BA aircraft, particularly with the extended flight times. JAL (even indirect routings) offers a completely different level of service so if it’s a viable option for passengers, you are probably better off flying with a customer focused airline on such long sectors.

There continues to be a misplaced sense of BA offering a superior customer service and onboard service but the many experiences shared on this and other channels about their BA Japan flights highlight a negative trend.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:30 am

BA008 Haneda London

There seems to be ongoing late running or cancellation issues on this flight. Is this purely down to the issue of the re route around hostile airspaces or will we see this route times change permanently to reflect these issues? It is horrible timing generally when it is the early morning start followed by a 14hr + flight.

Last edited by Jerseylily2; Jun 22, 2023 at 1:14 am
Old Jun 22, 2023, 12:46 am

With the new longer flight times, I’m surprised that BA hasn’t retimed one of their flights to leave LHR in the evening (perhaps 1900 arriving at around 1700) followed by an overnight return flight from HND (leaving at 2300 and arriving around 0530). This would be similar timings to SIN and HKG (and previously KUL). I think this would work much better than the current timings but the return flight only really works well with the longer flights (otherwise it would have to leave HND at something like 0200).

I don’t know how difficult slots are to get at HND? Perhaps BA can’t get slots at the desired times or they don’t what to loose the slots they’ve currently got there?
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
Originally Posted by B7474U3
I don’t know how difficult slots are to get at HND?
Horrendously difficult, zero chance BA will get any different slots.
Old Jun 22, 2023, 1:12 am

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
Originally Posted by B7474U3
With the new longer flight times, I’m surprised that BA hasn’t retimed one of their flights to leave LHR in the evening (perhaps 1900 arriving at around 1700) followed by an overnight return flight from HND (leaving at 2300 and arriving around 0530).

JL44 has historically been my favoured departure, typically around 1900 departure and arriving in the afternoon, so good for hotel check in too. It enjoys an operational F cabin as well.

The early morning arrivals into NRT used to be a bad immigration experience owing to the sheer numbers of flights all arriving at the same time, not sure what it’s like nowadays, but NRT still was far from full capacity when I was there a month or so ago as it recovers from the Covid hangover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.