Wiki Posts
Search

Cargo more important than passengers!!!

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2023, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: VS Life Time Gold, BA Gold, IHG Diamond Elite
Cargo more important than passengers!!!

30+ minute wait to get off the aircraft at LAX today as we were held until cargo was removed from the back of the A350!

It appears the cargo has a higher value than the aircraft full of passengers!

This was clearly a commercial decision to load this aircraft this way.
Old May 14, 2023, 4:45 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
While I'm sure it was frustrating, I suspect you are not aware of the full facts of the situation.
Old May 14, 2023, 4:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
More likely an issue of balance when offloading, and they’re ensuring safe disembarking. I’ve had on the longer narrow bodies more so than wide bodies.

Remember, 200+ people are rear of the main gear on an A350. Call that 70-80kg each with 10kg of hand luggage, and you have 14+ tons of payload moving in a few minutes.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tail heavy can be a little embarrassing for some

Old May 14, 2023, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by manymanymiles
30+ minute wait to get off the aircraft at LAX today as we were held until cargo was removed from the back of the A350!

Loading the cargo in the passenger sections of the plane and putting the passengers in the cargo bay would have been a superior commercial decision?
Old May 14, 2023, 5:06 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Originally Posted by golfmad
While I'm sure it was frustrating, I suspect you are not aware of the full facts of the situation.
I'd love to know why the decision was made in this way. "100 years of experience of commercial aviation" brought to you by amateurs. There are some longer B737s prone to tip but this ought not to be an issue on a wide body on a well run airline....
"Just tell the public who've paid thousands (and have connecting flights) to sit down and wait."
Old May 14, 2023, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by skipness1E
I'd love to know why the decision was made in this way. "100 years of experience of commercial aviation" brought to you by amateurs. There are some longer B737s prone to tip but this ought not to be an issue on a wide body on a well run airline....
"Just tell the public who've paid thousands (and have connecting flights) to sit down and wait."
Despite having 100 years experience in commercial aviation under their belt, it seems British Airways has made prescious little progress in terms of defying the laws of gravity. As a gold card member, I find this an absolute disgrace that more isn't being done to counteract this absurdity. I demand a public enquiry of the highest order without delay.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; May 14, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Old May 14, 2023, 5:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by skipness1E
indeed. I guess your last sentence highlights the fact that it would not have been done this way unless there was a very good reason.

beyond that, I am afraid I feel unable to report the findings of my amateur armchair inquiry at this stage

To the op, i am sure it was frustrating but I am also sure after a long flight the crew have every wish to be off as well and wouldn’t have needlessly delayed you if they could help it.
simonsmith, wrp96 and TTmex like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Similar situation on arrival at Singapore yesterday, although the delay was around 10 minutes.
SxMan likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 6:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
I landed in LAX a few hours ago from JFK and i saw that plane. Looked like all passengers and cargo had been “deplaned” safely and all wheels were on the tarmac. Move along, nothing to see here, thankfully!

PS the Qantas lounge is really top notch for service, food (sea bass) and drinks.
Robert279 likes this.
Old May 14, 2023, 8:52 pm

Utterly unacceptable. I’d file a compensation claim for that one.
Old May 14, 2023, 9:58 pm

I suspect if the OP had phrased the post rather differently - and without the triple exclamation mark - it could’ve invited a more insightful conversation.

Something along the lines of - not experienced this before, pretty frustrating having to wait, anyone know why this would’ve been necessary on this particular flight…?
PETER01, aks120, wrp96 and 6 others like this.
Old May 14, 2023, 10:22 pm

This is a joke right?
Old May 14, 2023, 10:25 pm

I can tell you Cargo is high value LOL... there were times where I was bumped cause of load factor. I am unsure if that makes you happier :P
Old May 14, 2023, 11:48 pm

Where’s the face palm emoji that is appropriate for this pointless post? Fgs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.