Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA/AerLingus seats?

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2023, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

BA/AerLingus seats?

Currently booked BA from MCO to GLA via London.
They just cancelled (3weeks notice) my 13:40 LHR-GLA flight so I’m looking for options.
I’m considering Aer Lingus via Dublin but when I do a dummy booking on BA I get the message that ‘seats available at checkin’ - does this mean I wont be able to preselect a seat?
Also, BA aren’t offering the flights I prefer - can I insist on times that are not offered by them but are available to book on the AE site?
Further question- is a 60 minute connection at LGW possible at all?
TIA
Old May 12, 2023, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by aprilscot
Currently booked BA from MCO to GLA via London.
They just cancelled (3weeks notice) my 13:40 LHR-GLA flight so I’m looking for options.
I’m considering Aer Lingus via Dublin but when I do a dummy booking on BA I get the message that ‘seats available at checkin’ - does this mean I wont be able to preselect a seat?
Also, BA aren’t offering the flights I prefer - can I insist on times that are not offered by them but are available to book on the AE site?
Further question- is a 60 minute connection at LGW possible at all?
TIA
Assuming you're crediting to BA Exec Club, its important you realise that you'll earn Avios on Aer Lingus (EI) services but not tier points - check out the relevant pages of ba.com here

My understanding is seating privileges in Economy don't apply. You can only preassign for free in Business.

Theres currently no airside transit in operation at Gatwick. You'll need to clear the UK Border and customs there before clearing security again to go airside. 60 minutes is going to be cutting things too fine I fear.

Perhaps consider a combination of AA/BA MCO-MIA-LHR-GLA or MCO-CLT-LHR-GLA as an alternative. So long as there are seats available in your ticketed cabin you can swap out to whatever works for you under BA's rebooking policy.
aprilscot likes this.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; May 12, 2023 at 10:21 pm
Old May 12, 2023, 11:31 pm

Programs: BAEC: Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Assuming you're crediting to BA Exec Club, its important you realise that you'll earn Avios on Aer Lingus (EI) services but not tier points - check out the relevant pages of ba.com here

My understanding is seating privileges in Economy don't apply. You can only preassign for free in Business.

Theres currently no airside transit in operation at Gatwick. You'll need to clear the UK Border and customs there before clearing security again to go airside. 60 minutes is going to be cutting things too fine I fear.

Perhaps consider a combination of AA/BA MCO-MIA-LHR-GLA or MCO-CLT-LHR-GLA as an alternative. So long as there are seats available in your ticketed cabin you can swap out to whatever works for you under BA's rebooking policy.
Is it not the case that all EI fights with a BA flight number (codeshares) get full TP earning? Else the above isn’t accurate.
Old May 13, 2023, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Is this a paid ticket (rather than award)?

and to clarify is the itinerary you are looking at mco-lhr-dub-gla ? (Ie just replacing the cancelled leg?)

Seat conditions would be as per EI rules regardless of codeshare so indeed no pre assignment and there may be no free choice at olci regardless of status I think.

no you can’t really insist on the ei flights you want if Ba are proposing a same day solution. You can golf course ask but the rule of thumb is that if a same day solution is offered, the airline does not have to offer whatever you want on whatever carrier you want. If they insist on delaying you to another day but other airlines have seats in your cabin on the same day, by contrast, it is worth insisting.

‘’Tp = 0 if this books as EI. If it books as Ba, then yes Ba coded flights all earn TPs regardless of operating carrier.

obviously if the itinerary is as above and lhr-dub operated by ei remember you’ll need to change terminal at lhr. Is it possible that the flights which you say are available but not offered would fall below mct because of that?
aprilscot likes this.
Old May 13, 2023, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by orbitmic
Is this a paid ticket (rather than award)?

and to clarify is the itinerary you are looking at mco-lhr-dub-gla ? (Ie just replacing the cancelled leg?)

Seat conditions would be as per EI rules regardless of codeshare so indeed no pre assignment and there may be no free choice at olci regardless of status I think.

no you can’t really insist on the ei flights you want if Ba are proposing a same day solution. You can golf course ask but the rule of thumb is that if a same day solution is offered, the airline does not have to offer whatever you want on whatever carrier you want. If they insist on delaying you to another day but other airlines have seats in your cabin on the same day, by contrast, it is worth insisting.

‘’Tp = 0 if this books as EI. If it books as Ba, then yes Ba coded flights all earn TPs regardless of operating carrier.

obviously if the itinerary is as above and lhr-dub operated by ei remember you’ll need to change terminal at lhr. Is it possible that the flights which you say are available but not offered would fall below mct because of that?
Thanks for the answer.
While not exactly what I would prefer at least I know where I stand before contacting BA.
This is a cash booking and I was thinking of going MCO-DUB-GLA avoiding London altogether and minimising total journey time.
TP are pretty irrelevant as I don't fly BA often enough to reach any level above blue.
Old May 13, 2023, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by aprilscot
Thanks for the answer.
While not exactly what I would prefer at least I know where I stand before contacting BA.
This is a cash booking and I was thinking of going MCO-DUB-GLA avoiding London altogether and minimising total journey time.
TP are pretty irrelevant as I don't fly BA often enough to reach any level above blue.
I don't think there is any harm in trying. Agents may well push for the BA metal option especially assuming that there are additional LHR-GLA that day, but if it were me, i would still call and explain that you would prefer that itinerary as it is (presumably) shorter/more time efficient. If the agent has enough sympathy with the argument they may be able to make it happen.
Old May 13, 2023, 2:14 pm

why was GLA-LGW-MCO and back not an original option?
Old May 20, 2023, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by Swadbus
Is it not the case that all EI fights with a BA flight number (codeshares) get full TP earning? Else the above isn’t accurate.
When rerouting due to schedule change as is the case in the OP's situation, it's nearly always a requirement under the rebooking policy for the rebook to be made under prime (EI) flight numbers as opposed to the codshare (BA) ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.