Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Who sold my data to a flight delay claims handler?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2023, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager

Following a long flight delay last week, and a flight cancellation on Monday night, I received an unsolicited text message today from FlightClaim.me telling me to start a flight claim as a “recent flight was delayed/cancelled and you may be elegible for compensation.”

What’s bothering me is how they got my data

I booked the flights directly on BA.com using avios
I have a Flighty app subscription where the flights were being tracked (but they don’t have my mobile number)

Am I able to find out how FlightClaim got my data? I know you can request the data a company holds on you, but I don’t know whether you can easily find out how they got it?

It’s the principle which really bothers me more than anything
Old May 3, 2023, 11:41 am
dnw

My travel companion and I have today received exactly the same text for Mondays (thanks France) cancelled PMI to LGW and both wondered how on earth they got our data and numbers.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, SAA Voyager
Originally Posted by dnw
My travel companion and I have today received exactly the same text for Mondays (thanks France) cancelled PMI to LGW and both wondered how on earth they got our data and numbers.
Same flight!
Old May 3, 2023, 11:51 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

There were a couple of mentions of this in the EC261 thread a while back.

There is a "leak" somewhere that's being investigated (but still obviously not plugged).
Old May 3, 2023, 11:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I think the previous reports were also inbound into London. So my suspicion is that some ground agent somewhere is selling the data to FlightClaim. As I said at the time, this company is based in Singapore but does have a privacy policy so I would suggest you contact them to find out what information they have on you and where it came from. I imagine BA would also like to know the answer to that one.

There is also the possibility that when you sign up to an airport's wifi they may ask - or work out - your flight details.
Old May 3, 2023, 11:57 am
dnw

Interesting. I didn’t give any identifiable information away to anyone (Wi-Fi, expertflyer etc) for this particular flight. So ground handling it must be. That’s definitely a GDPR breach… unless they claim legitimate interest…
nancypants and Pilou like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 12:10 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Last edited by DYKWIA; May 3, 2023 at 1:43 pm
Old May 3, 2023, 12:47 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Some might suggest that the easiest way for BA to stop the leak would be to pay compensation automatically when it is legally due, thus undermining the business model of the claims chasers...
Old May 3, 2023, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Here is another thread from a couple of months ago with some links to other reports:
BA Data Leaks
Tobias-UK and Arsey00 like this.
Old May 3, 2023, 2:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
<snip> So my suspicion is that some ground agent somewhere is selling the data to FlightClaim.
Wow... just wow... that is so incredibly disappointing if it turns out to be true...

Regards
Old May 3, 2023, 2:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold / Marriott Platinum
It happened to me last year for a cancelled LHR to GVA flight due to French strikes
Old May 3, 2023, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by LondonCapeTownAnyday
Following a long flight delay last week, and a flight cancellation on Monday night, I received an unsolicited text message today from FlightClaim.me telling me to start a flight claim as a “recent flight was delayed/cancelled and you may be elegible for compensation.”

What’s bothering me is how they got my data

I booked the flights directly on BA.com using avios
I have a Flighty app subscription where the flights were being tracked (but they don’t have my mobile number)

Am I able to find out how FlightClaim got my data? I know you can request the data a company holds on you, but I don’t know whether you can easily find out how they got it?

It’s the principle which really bothers me more than anything
Do you own a smart phone? Have you spoken about your flight delay with your phone nearby? Phones/apps do listen to you and make what they think are helpful (and you think, rightly so, are creepy) suggestions. Any number of apps, the carrier, or the manufacturer themselves, all may have a hand in targeted advertising.
DiamondMile likes this.
Old May 3, 2023, 3:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Good answer - I'm always (somewhat) surprised when paying for a taxi (cab) in the US by CC that they know my email address. They 'claim' it's done through the CC company, but can't be since the last time it ended up coming to my work email - so my phone must somehow be involved - and Tx information.
Old May 3, 2023, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Do you own a smart phone? Have you spoken about your flight delay with your phone nearby? Phones/apps do listen to you and make what they think are helpful (and you think, rightly so, are creepy) suggestions. Any number of apps, the carrier, or the manufacturer themselves, all may have a hand in targeted advertising.
Originally Posted by CKBA
Good answer - I'm always (somewhat) surprised when paying for a taxi (cab) in the US by CC that they know my email address. They 'claim' it's done through the CC company, but can't be since the last time it ended up coming to my work email - so my phone must somehow be involved - and Tx information.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think the previous reports were also inbound into London. So my suspicion is that some ground agent somewhere is selling the data to FlightClaim. As I said at the time, this company is based in Singapore but does have a privacy policy so I would suggest you contact them to find out what information they have on you and where it came from. I imagine BA would also like to know the answer to that one.

There is also the possibility that when you sign up to an airport's wifi they may ask - or work out - your flight details.
​​​​​​​Disclaimers: I am not a lawyer, this is not legal advice. Also, I work in digital privacy at a large tech company, let that color your biases as it may

GDPR breach: assuming you're a UK citizen, the UK-GDPR (not the European regulation) is what would grant you rights in this case. The rights of data subjects here are substantially similar to the EU version though, but your regulator is the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO). I believe it would be a relatively easy argument to make to the company that finding out how they obtained your data is aligned with the key right to be informed. If you want to follow up this process, you may want to talk to staff at the ICO. There are also many handy form letters out there on the internet that you could send to the legal contact address for the firm you're receiving solicitations from. You may also want to request that the firm delete your information; if they refuse, that's another piece of evidence you could take to the ICO.

Phones listening to you: this isn't the case, at least in the passive "I talked about flight delays therefore I'm being advertised to" sense. Ad targeting and predictive analytics are simply good enough that the digital trail you leave gives the impression that "they could only figure that out if they were listening to me" - but it's just your data trail. Whether this is a good state of affairs is a debate that I'll leave for another time and forum.

Credit cards and taxis: oftentimes this happens through a payment processor, not a CC company. For example, the Square credit card reader and point-of-sale solution will link your CC # to your email or phone number (if you request a digital receipt on the tablet) unless you opt out at the time of linking. So, if you pay for a coffee at a cafe using Square, request an email receipt, then later use the same card in a taxi that uses Square, you'll likely receive an email.
Old May 3, 2023, 4:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Just got a text to my phone re. late flight from flightclaim.

In terms of phone#s - by CC (used for the booking) and the AA booking has the US# that the text came to - the BA side of things only has my UK# - which seems to imply it was a breach from the US side.

Originally Posted by redct
Credit cards and taxis: oftentimes this happens through a payment processor, not a CC company. For example, the Square credit card reader and point-of-sale solution will link your CC # to your email or phone number (if you request a digital receipt on the tablet) unless you opt out at the time of linking. So, if you pay for a coffee at a cafe using Square, request an email receipt, then later use the same card in a taxi that uses Square, you'll likely receive an email.
Oddly though, the taxi email receipt did not come to the email associated with my CC, but another one... .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.