Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

SAW TP's different to IST [resolved on TP calculator]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club

To the assembled company at the church of T5,

Can anyone explain why mother BA are only giving 40 TP's for their new service to SAW and yet on my return journey it is 80 from IST-LHR

I was always under the impression it was linked to distance so I for one are completely baffled
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:18 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Makes no sense at all and not a great way to attract new punters to the SAW route.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:32 am
Suspended

SAW is under the 2000 miles threshold. IST is the same. For some flights BA manually adjust the Tier Point numbers upwards - IST being one of them.

Your assumption that there would be some joined-up thinking at BA is touchingly naive.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Whilst there was no clear threshold for sh+ routes, i would have expected a route over 1200 miles to definitely be one, and at nearly 1600 this is well over. I suspect this is cock up rather than conspiracy.
Old May 2, 2023, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Flumps
SAW is under the 2000 miles threshold. IST is the same.
2000 miles is the long haul (140 in business) threshold. The rough threshold for 80 is as KARFA mentions.

That said earnings are increasingly weird. LCA never got 140 and now AMM and CAI don’t either, 80 is basically Ba only except for the specific lhr-hel by ay but none of the other and longer ay flights. There is clearly an element of randomness, potentially one of incompetence but either way, the more new routes open or change the more oddities multiply…
KARFA, ermis177 and AirbusA350 like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:04 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
As a new route my guess would go down for “hasn’t been adjusted to 80 yet” rather than it deliberately staying at 40 long term, but we might not know until it starts…
Old May 2, 2023, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by orbitmic
That said earnings are increasingly weird. LCA never got 140 and now AMM and CAI don’t either, 80 is basically Ba only except for the specific lhr-hel by ay but none of the other and longer ay flights. There is clearly an element of randomness, potentially one of incompetence but either way, the more new routes open or change the more oddities multiply…
HEL-AGP on AY does get 140TP though?
Old May 2, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Originally Posted by etiene
As a new route my guess would go down for “hasn’t been adjusted to 80 yet” rather than it deliberately staying at 40 long term, but we might not know until it starts…
Indeed ..especially as SAW is about 50 miles further !

Didn't this problem arise recently with new routes to the Azores ( and perhaps others ) .. got fixed eventually
PGberkshire likes this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:30 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by Leaping_Deere
To the assembled company at the church of T5,

Can anyone explain why mother BA are only giving 40 TP's for their new service to SAW and yet on my return journey it is 80 from IST-LHR

In all these wild, demented, misspent, bacchanalian Flyertalk years (yes I was so very young when I tumbled into cyberspace and was ejected here) - I have read some utter nonsense. Stories that I simply did not believe which were all filed under P for Palm Tree ( some may remember that - it was not unique but it was not atypical.

This however win the Pucci Oscar for the greatest idiocy that I have ever read here as it comes from BA itself. Who thought that one up? It is as ridiculous as awarding one set of Tier Points for flying out of LHR and another from LGW. I say that somewhat concerned that someone in Watership Down will have the thought in his stupid head. Let's award one set of points to Linate and another to Malpensa.

Leaping_Deere was smart to spot this (were you booking a flight Love?) and tell us. I too would like the author of this idiocy to explain this to us. Is it considered a Bucket-and Spade destination?

You could not make it up. I 'll give that a miss l, thank you all the same.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by EvilDoctorK
Indeed ..especially as SAW is about 50 miles further !

Didn't this problem arise recently with new routes to the Azores ( and perhaps others ) .. got fixed eventually
Yes, FNC and KEF went through this, they were corrected in due course.
PUCCI GALORE, KARFA and Bluekjp like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, FNC and KEF went through this, they were corrected in due course.
How did this happen - did people complain?
Old May 2, 2023, 10:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
How did this happen - did people complain?
I'm afraid I have no idea. There were certainly complaints on here!
Old May 2, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm afraid I have no idea. There were certainly complaints on here!
Dearest, the day complaints cease on here - Flyertalk will exist no more.

I will say that if you don't know, no one will know the answer.
Fritz, bmiStar, BA or bust and 9 others like this.
Old May 2, 2023, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by flyslow
HEL-AGP on AY does get 140TP though?
Yes, it's the 80 which is "BA only" + the random LHR-HEL on AY probably from the time both airlines flew the route and codeshared and it would have been ridiculous to get twice more on BA flights than AY ones.
Old May 2, 2023, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by KARFA
Whilst there was no clear threshold for sh+ routes, i would have expected a route over 1200 miles to definitely be one, and at nearly 1600 this is well over. I suspect this is cock up rather than conspiracy.
Never attribute to malice that which can adequately be explained by incompetence!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.