Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA0198 [BOM-LHR] - aborted take off

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:01 am
Original Poster

BA0198 [BOM-LHR] - aborted take off

Hi all. Currently sat on ba0198 where thr take off had to be aborted. Now back at the gate waiting for an engineer to do some checks. Every chance we may need to deplane. Any experinece if we have to deplane, would ba move passengers onto other airlines or aim for ba metal only?

Last edited by rtid; Apr 23, 2023 at 3:16 am Reason: Title change
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
It really depends on what is wrong with the aircraft and how long it will take to be repaired, BA tend to put customers in hotels and transport them on their own metal.
KARFA and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
For everyone else's benefit, this is BOM-LHR Bombay/Mumbai.
lsquare, alex67500 and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:15 am
Original Poster

The pilot had to abort the take off around 15 seconds in on the equest of ATC.

engineers now on board doing some safety checks. Fingers crossed we are able to continue
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:39 am

Sound like there was nothing wrong with your aircraft, but instructed to abort by ATC for some other reason.

But having done an aborted takeoff, the brakes (and other things) will need to be checked

How fast were you travelling (roughly) before the pilot slammed on the brakes. If you had only just started the takeoff roll, then the brakes wouldn't have had much strain and it's probably just a compliance check. If you were just below V1 speed, then they will be pretty hot.

Edit: I see you said 15 seconds above. That's a resonable amount into the takeoff roll, but probably still well below V1 for a long haul plane. Certainly going to need checks though.
nancypants and becks1 like this.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not a pilot but in theses circumstances where there wasn’t a fault with the aircraft, I would expect the engineers are completing a high-speed rejected takeoff check which hopefully will not find any problems.
becks1 likes this.

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Wow. Playback on FlightRada24 looks interesting!.

Hope you get going soon, and if ATC, can only imagine traffic on runway or in the air?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:41 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

When this happened to me a few years back at DXB, the main thing was getting the brakes cooled down. DXB has some "air conditioning units" that they use for this very purpose.

ISTR is took around 90 minutes before we were on our way again.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:45 am

Even 15 seconds into the roll you are likely to be about 80 knots or so. The energy input required for the stop is massive so the brakes can get very hot. Cooling times can be significant. The engineers will need to check the wheels and tyres quite carefully
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:46 am
Original Poster

So the pilot/captain said they had to doa rejected take off as thr plane in front didnt have enough gap between ours.

i am guessing it was 10-15 seconds before it was aborted. Basically felt like an emergency stop.

Thw pilot has said the engineers have checked brakes, flaps and something else i cant remember but they are now happy we can continue

now waiting to be refueled before we can depart.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:49 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I’m not a pilot but in theses circumstances where there wasn’t a fault with the aircraft, I would expect the engineers are completing a high-speed rejected takeoff check which hopefully will not find any problems.
​​​​​​

this is pretty much it.

cabin crew and pilot are doing everything they can to make everyone feel confortable and updated.

we were about to refuel but the stand we are on has no underground fuel, so a tank needs to come. One came but it was too small for a 777 as it would not reach. So now waiting for another tanker to arrive.
IAMORGAN likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:51 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Wow. Playback on FlightRada24 looks interesting!
In what way ?
Old Apr 23, 2023, 3:59 am

Originally Posted by wanderingjock
Wow. Playback on FlightRada24 looks interesting!.
Hope you get going soon, and if ATC, can only imagine traffic on runway or in the air?
Yes, managed to abort and still took first exit, so couldn't have been travelling that fast.

As to the reason, YG9103 did a go-around at the same time, same runway, probably overflying BA198 as they were aborting takeoff

I'll let those with more ATC knowledge comment on whether this was a normal (ish) occurance, or considered a near-miss.

wanderingjock and becks1 like this.

Programs: BA GGL, CCR; RyanAir MillionMiler :( ;
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
In what way ?
well, just that you can see it start off down the runway and then abort and come off a taxiway. Looked like it would have crossed another runway during takeoff and before OP suggested turbulence, it could have been traffic on the other runway. I also just love watching the movement of the planes at airports (and also above my house as the Globemasters turn for landing at BrizeNorton

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
In what way ?
The way I just posted above
wanderingjock likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.