OWE benefits on BA flight?

Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OWE benefits on BA flight?

I'm OWE (through AA EXP). No BA status.

Will I get any status benefits on a BA flight, flying economy? I'm mostly interested in baggage allowance and seat selection (exit row)
Old Apr 20, 2023, 9:56 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm OWE (through AA EXP). No BA status.

Will I get any status benefits on a BA flight, flying economy? I'm mostly interested in baggage allowance and seat selection (exit row)
Yes you will. Same as BA OWEs traveling on AA.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfmad
Yes you will. Same as BA OWEs traveling on AA.
Do these apply to Economy basic or just economy plus?

Basically, I'll have a checked bag and want to choose an exit row seat at booking time. What's the cheapest way to do this? With AA I can just book basic economy and get both of these. I'm not sure what non-AA OWE gets on AA.

I'll be flying LGW-MLA, if that matters. I see economy basic for 141 and economy plus for 163 (and business is 312)

Also, what if I book an economy award using AA miles? It does not seem to be a good use of 12,500 miles + $40 (I would normally want at least $250-$300 of value out of 12,500 miles) but if it saves me a lot of extra fees it might be.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:13 pm

Programs: BAEC
Do these apply to Economy basic or just economy plus?

Basically, I'll have a checked bag and want to choose an exit row seat at booking time. What's the cheapest way to do this? With AA I can just book basic economy and get both of these. I'm not sure what non-AA OWE gets on AA.

I'll be flying LGW-MLA, if that matters. I see economy basic for 141 and economy plus for 163 (and business is 312)

Also, what if I book an economy award using AA miles? It does not seem to be a good use of 12,500 miles + $40 (I would normally want at least $250-$300 of value out of 12,500 miles) but if it saves me a lot of extra fees it might be.
Seat selection is free in any case for you. Free checked bag does not apply to economy basic though. Award booking would include bags.
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichieMc
Seat selection is free in any case for you. Free checked bag does not apply to economy basic though. Award booking would include bags.
Thanks!

What is the baggage fee if I book economy basic? I'm sure it's somewhere on the BA website but I can't find it -- they seem to be very good at hiding this information. When I entered lgw to mla in the baggage information page in the FAQ it told me that they don't fly that route.
Old Apr 20, 2023, 11:40 pm

Programs: BAEC
Thanks!

What is the baggage fee if I book economy basic? I'm sure it's somewhere on the BA website but I can't find it -- they seem to be very good at hiding this information. When I entered lgw to mla in the baggage information page in the FAQ it told me that they don't fly that route.
35 online and 50 at airport. So best just to pay the fare difference.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:23 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Sorry, old thread, but didn't want to start a new one.
I am looking to book an F seat on BA287 (LHR-SFO) on August 18th. I'm a OWE via AS. Expert Flyers shows that 1K is blocked and all other window seats are occupied. Given the extra cost, I'm trying to figure if I want to pick the earlier flight when there are window seats in F available, but I don't relish being at the airport earlier as I have evening plans the night before. I do want a window seat if possible as it's a day flight and it's important to get some light during part of the flight to help with jet lag (at least according to the app I use).
When I go through booking pages and try to select seats, it doesn't give me the option to select 1K. Given it is also trying to charge me for the CW seat on the return, I believe this might be because my AS status doesn't come through until AFTER booking.

My two questions:
1) As an OWE do I get to book some of the priority seats like 1K once I've booked and my AS status is there? I could have sworn in the past I had access to some blocked seats with my AS OWE status (similar to how OWE BA flyers get access to elite FF seats on AS planes).
2) Is there anyone that might be able to start a dummy booking to see if 1K is available for Golds or if it really is blocked for some other reason?
Old May 22, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold

Did a dummy booking with Gold status and this is the seat availability its showing me. BA287 18 August
Bellerina likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

1K is blocked but not occupied on the 287 on the 18th August, source - Expertflyer.
Bellerina and jerry a. laska like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
Originally Posted by Applewood

Did a dummy booking with Gold status and this is the seat availability its showing me. BA287 18 August
Thanks! This is helpful. My first question is moot if it's not available even to Golds. Now to decide if F is worth it over CW or if I should take the earlier flight...
Old May 22, 2024, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Bellerina
Thanks! This is helpful. My first question is moot if it's not available even to Golds. Now to decide if F is worth it over CW or if I should take the earlier flight...
Well, the earlier flight is the A380 which while not having the newest F seat, IFE, and doors is still a nice roomy experience.
Best First class seats.
BA First: A380 or 777-300 with updated suite?
BA First cabin and seating guide

Of course, the earlier departure (~10am) would seriously restricts the time you had planned to relax in the CCR preflight.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; May 22, 2024 at 12:24 pm
Old May 22, 2024, 3:38 pm
PxC

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, Caesars Diamond
Row 1 is for BA Gold only no?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.