Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 52,000 avios?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold, Marriott, Chase UR
What to do with 52,000 avios?

I haven’t travelled in a while! A few months ago I transferred chase UR points to British airways avios. I booked a trip for 2 from MSY to LHR for 52,000 avios, PLUS $1319 cash (!!!). I believe that was quite a newbie error.

The trip is coming up next month. I sort of think I should cancel it: I do get a refund of points and cash less $55 each.

Then I could theoretically book a different trip that doesnt have such a cash component. Trouble is, I don’t know how to figure out what’s available online.

is there a service I should use to get me out of this jam?

i have gold status on AA. I believe I have to call BA to book a flight on AA. It’d be nice to know what to ask for though.

I’m GUESSING that using avios domestically to book on AA would avoid the cash component. Anyone know?

trouble is, I don’t know enough to know what questions I should be asking

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
There are no cash surcharges when redeeming BA Avios for travel on AA within the Americas, North and South. That includes travel to Hawaii and the Caribbean.

You do not necessarily have to call BA to book award travel on AA. You can search on ba.com, or on the BA app. But BA sometimes has trouble displaying award availability on AA when connecting flights are involved. And award availability on AA using "partner" currencies (like Avios) seems to have become more difficult to find over the past year or so.

Also, note that BA charges separately for each flight flown, so, if you were to book, say, MSY-DFW-HNL, you would be charged for the MSY-DFW leg and for the DFW-HNL leg.
lenoir likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2023, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA gold, Marriott, Chase UR
Thanks guv! This helps a lot and gives me some direction. Cheers!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.