Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA shortchecked Bag without asking, now missing in transit

Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:56 am
Original Poster

My wife is currently traveling to the US and for some reason, the agent at check in short checked her bag in London. So far, it hasn't shown up and she's in danger of missing her connection. Has anyone heard of such a thing happening? Please refrain from the usual lessons....I know, I know. I'm lost on what to suggest she should do.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:08 am

Please can you give us a few more details of your wife's itinerary? Where did she check in and where did the agent check the bag to? It's not clear from your post if the bag is in London.
orbitmic and becks1 like this.

Last edited by gingeola; Apr 7, 2023 at 12:52 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gingeola
Please can you give us a few more details of your wife's itinerary? Where did the she check in and where did the agent check the bag to? It's not clear from your post if the bag is in London.
exactly. Sorry op but with the information you provide it’s simply impossible to help you. What’s the itinerary (departure, arrival, transit points, airlines involved, all same day or not), how was it booked (single itinerary or not), where is she now and how has she found out about the short checking since presumably she didn’t spot it at check in. Is it change reading of luggage tag later?

ive never heard of an agent randomly short checking a bag for a single itinerary unless there is a >24h connection and indeed doing so will require additional manual input from them so it’s important we fully understand the context to figure out what may have gone wrong and what may be done now.
becks1 and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gingeola
Please can you give us a few more details of your wife's itinerary? Where did the she check in and where did the agent check the bag to? It's not clear from your post if the bag is in London.
BER-LHR-CLT-XXX

Check-in in Berlin, for some reason they took her backpack(which is sometimes quite large) and checked it to London. I've seen the checked bag receipt, and it appears to confirm it is short-checked to London.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:38 am
Original Poster

The bag showed up and she made the connection. I'll flag the mods to delete the thread. No idea why the check-in agent short checked the bag.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Sounds like it was taken off her at the gate, they should have checked and maybe she should have spoken up that she was connecting at LHR?
becks1, PVDtoDEL and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Can I help you
Sounds like it was taken off her at the gate, they should have checked and maybe she should have spoken up that she was connecting at LHR?
Nope, at check in. She got it at baggage claim in London, not at the gate.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Ok, I thought it was her hand baggage, if it was all on one ticket it’s the check in agents fault, glad it all worked out.
largeeyes, becks1 and Davvidd like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 9:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by largeeyes
Nope, at check in. She got it at baggage claim in London, not at the gate.
If the bag was checked in at the main check-in desk it should have been sent through to XXX (or at least CLT) and it is worth checking the paperwork before the bag slides out of sight. That applies to all checked luggage really, it's a fairly important thing to do. If it was at the gate then slightly different logic applies. In a sense you could have gone on to T3 / CLT for that flight and left it to BA to send on later but I can understand why you would want to avoid that, which is the point of checking the tab. Clearly if the bag was over the size limits for cabin bags then you're not really in a position to argue about the checked in item, but you are in a position to argue the destination if you are on one ticket to XXX.
Lefly and DiamondMile like this.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 2:27 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If the bag was checked in at the main check-in desk it should have been sent through to XXX (or at least CLT) and it is worth checking the paperwork before the bag slides out of sight. That applies to all checked luggage really, it's a fairly important thing to do. If it was at the gate then slightly different logic applies. In a sense you could have gone on to T3 / CLT for that flight and left it to BA to send on later but I can understand why you would want to avoid that, which is the point of checking the tab. Clearly if the bag was over the size limits for cabin bags then you're not really in a position to argue about the checked in item, but you are in a position to argue the destination if you are on one ticket to XXX.
It is a bit puzzling indeed. Did the agent add the backpack after checking her in with her other bag? Normally two bags checked in at the same time cannot be tagged to two different destinations.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:33 am

Originally Posted by Davvidd
Normally two bags checked in at the same time cannot be tagged to two different destinations.
Yes, I learnt this a few years ago. Checked two bags in at Osaka for a flight to Frankfurt via Tokyo and London. I asked for one bag to go to Frankfurt and one to London. No problem - all checked and done.

As I was sitting in the lounge in Tokyo I was paged and told I had to pick just one destination for my bags, so picked London (and then checked the second bag back in after going landside to meet my partner to drop off the first one). As "compensation" or probably coincidence I got my first ever upgrade too - from WT to WT+.
Davvidd and largeeyes like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.