The trouble with the A380 lately

Old Apr 8, 2023, 5:56 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by JerseyPilot
Store half the fleet at Chateauroux getting soaked for a year and a bit rather than the desert and itís no surprise theyíre having issues on their return. Saved BA a few pennies at the time but boy are they paying for it now, typical penny wise pound foolish short term attitude to cost from BA.
have you looked at the relative reliability between those stored at each location?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by JerseyPilot
Store half the fleet at Chateauroux getting soaked for a year and a bit rather than the desert and it’s no surprise they’re having issues on their return. Saved BA a few pennies at the time but boy are they paying for it now, typical penny wise pound foolish short term attitude to cost from BA.
QF stored theirs in Victorville and the performance has been horrible too. There were BA 747s stored in the desert in California which developed into hangar queens thereafter anyway.

Frankly, airplanes aren't designed to be stored in a desert for months, years even, without being used. The only solution is to overhaul them completely.
mjh0 and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 6:48 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, BAEC
First overseas flight since 2018 and a bit nervous. Hopefully I can report back on my flight this week on the 380. I picked row 57 and now see that I am sitting by the gallery on the top deck. That may be good or bad though. The flight is full as there are only 4 seats left in CW. Given the flights have been delayed from IAD to LHR up to two hours late departing and arriving, I guess I'm glad BA put me on the later flight out so I have some time to relax. Somehow leaving IAD at 1am instead of 11am seems pretty dire especially as the lounge closes at 11pm.

Question if my flight is delayed 2 hours can I get compensation?
Old Apr 9, 2023, 9:54 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Chatting with a friend this morning who has knowledge of the situation, itís all supply chain related and not unique to the A380.

Currently some parts are in such short supply that when a plane arrives for its C or D check, certain parts are being transferred to planes ready to go back in service, with the hope that when that plane is finished with its C or D check, the next one comes in with working parts.

The A380 issue could be amplified because of the lower number of planes in service, but itís a problem with all plane types currently as they attempt to ramp backup to pre-Covid production levels.
PGberkshire likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by BonnieBlue
Question if my flight is delayed 2 hours can I get compensation?
No. Would need to be a minimum of 3hrs and completely related to maintenance or operational decisions of BA (ie not ATC or weather etc). And always based on arrival/doors open time.
Old Apr 9, 2023, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by dylanks
Chatting with a friend this morning who has knowledge of the situation, itís all supply chain related and not unique to the A380.

Currently some parts are in such short supply that when a plane arrives for its C or D check, certain parts are being transferred to planes ready to go back in service, with the hope that when that plane is finished with its C or D check, the next one comes in with working parts.

The A380 issue could be amplified because of the lower number of planes in service, but itís a problem with all plane types currently as they attempt to ramp backup to pre-Covid production levels.
Apologies, but the cannibalisation scenario your friend is suggesting is something Iíve never really experienced besides for consumables like portable oxygen canisters (of which there has been a bit of a shortage thanks to their makers going bust) or life jackets. Anything else is next to impossible to do for a couple of reasons: it might be seen badly by the likes of EASA or the FAA and it basically requires TWO planes to be out of service at the same time.

Supply chain is definitely problematic, especially for dual use electronic equipment thanks to Russiaís invasion and Xi Jinping becoming more aggressive, but the 380s do have issues (especially for electro-mechanic cabin components) due to long term storage.
mnhusker likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 10:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Sat on my rebooked A380 at LHR - all boarded and ready to go.... but.... the aircrafts four batteries will be out of lifetime during our flight so need replacing before we depart - at least a 1 hour delay: WHY ON EARTH DO IT NOW with us all sat onboard!
Simonp27 likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by CKBA
Sat on my rebooked A380 at LHR - all boarded and ready to go.... but.... the aircrafts four batteries will be out of lifetime during our flight so need replacing before we depart - at least a 1 hour delay: WHY ON EARTH DO IT NOW with us all sat onboard!
Iím on it too! Thankfully got an OPUP to WTP and there are some right characters providing some entertainment. Hasnít the XLEJ been on the ground since arriving from SFO yesterday at 13:50!?
becks1 likes this.
Old May 1, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BitterLemon
Iím on it too! Thankfully got an OPUP to WTP and there are some right characters providing some entertainment. Hasnít the XLEJ been on the ground since arriving from SFO yesterday at 13:50!?
Lucky you! My BWI flight was cancelled (3 times in 4 weeks) and I'm stuck down the back... .
Old Nov 7, 2023, 6:05 pm

Resurrecting this topic from a while back, rather than starting a new one, and because the A380 is now back flying to LAX, which is the route I do a lot I've been looking at the reliability recently. It's not great reading with the 380 in general...

I know Sigwx gave a in depth response in Feb on another topic about the issues with them having been in storage, but that was 8 months ago, and the troubles seem to be on going. Any idea when this will clear up? Or despite being a relatively (compared to how old the 744 were for example) plane- are they now past their prime?
Old Nov 8, 2023, 2:17 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Yes will be interested to learn..

Got 7x 388 sectors left to go this year and some of those involve tight connections..

If anyone has been on XLEF in the last few months and seen the door separating the cockpit steps from the front galley area youíll have noticed that it is latched open and has a sign on it saying ĎDO NOT CLOSEí. I am sure thatís a much lower-priority job but is that an indication of resource and part supply limitations with the 388?
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, UA2MM, QF Platinum, VA Platinum., Volare Executive Club
I noticed a BA A380 in Manila last week, apparently undergoing some sort of maintenance. Anyone know what this was?

Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by Grace B
I noticed a BA A380 in Manila last week, apparently undergoing some sort of maintenance. Anyone know what this was?

I believe that's the Lufthansa Technik heavy MRO base. BA has outsourced work to them so a regular occasion.
Grace B likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:35 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold Ė previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by Duck1981
I believe that's the Lufthansa Technik heavy MRO base. BA has outsourced work to them so a regular occasion.
Do you think they are going to cannibalise bits off that Hercules to keep it going?
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Nov 15, 2023, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by BA or bust
Do you think they are going to cannibalise bits off that Hercules to keep it going?
Some spares might be more reliable than the stuff in the 380
LCSinTexas likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.