The trouble with the A380 lately

Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
The interesting question for me is if BA is going to make the enormous investment to upgrade the cabins of its existing fleet of 12 A380s (several tens of millions of dollars per ship), will they look to add a few more R-R-powered aircraft being shed by other carriers and put those through the refit programme while it’s still active? The economics of doing so become more attractive if you’re having to refit the cabins of your existing fleet anyway…
Old Apr 3, 2023, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Interesting this has all been signed off. I still have my doubts.... I think if the 777X comes through by early 2025 then these A380's will be pensioned off.... Barring a very small number of routes such as JNB they are really hard for BA to fill - J (and hence by default F) are usually fairly full but Y in particular is just too large at 297 seats. Even with 97 CS which will take out a bit of Y the number of Y seats is still very high and other airlines have said they struggle too.... The only airline that thinks the A380 isn't big enough is EK but they are just on a very different strategy to everyone else......
I will believe the A380 being refurbed and lasting in the fleet beyond 2026 when I see it. I will be sad to see them go but everyone bar EK is cutting them back and planning on phasing them out. In simple terms the 4 engines is the killer, just makes them very fuel hungry.....
FD.
The latest info see the 777X certification by the FAA to be completed in late 24/possibly early '25. In July last year, during the quarterly updates, BA indicated they were expecting the first 779 to arrive in 2026, possibly by virtue of the FAA certification delay. Personally, I'd be very surprised if even 2026 stands. Boeing track record on the 787, KC46 and Starliner has been terrible, to say nothing about the MAX.
becks1, ceej123 and BA850 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Gold
62A IFE touch screen not working on last Sunday's 26March IAD-LHR... . Minor issue really...
Old Apr 6, 2023, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH Senator, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
The 292/293 IAD was cancelled today and also Tuesday. Im on that flight in F tomorrow. If cancelled I wonder what the best recovery option is
Old Apr 6, 2023, 11:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Taken a week ago at JNB about 11am.

something bigs missing.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 12:24 am

Programs: Mucci. And BA Gold previous awards - Gold 11, Silver 7, Bronze 4.
Originally Posted by D1L
With any BA refits though, i'm sure some area will end up taking a cut.
I hear that, due to cost challenges, it will be only 4 in F and the service will be enhanced (to meet customer expectations) to Prosecco and Walkers Crisps.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 1:26 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by thesilb
The 292/293 IAD was cancelled today and also Tuesday. Im on that flight in F tomorrow. If cancelled I wonder what the best recovery option is
Nothing to do with the aircraft this time. Shortage of pilots instead
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Starship73
The interesting question for me is if BA is going to make the enormous investment to upgrade the cabins of its existing fleet of 12 A380s (several tens of millions of dollars per ship)
I was told on my F A380 flight to ORD last week that BA does indeed intend to upgrade the A380's. I complained to the crew that F was looking dated after experiencing the Club Suite.
becks1 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by CKBA
62A IFE touch screen not working on last Sunday's 26March IAD-LHR... . Minor issue really...
It's shockingly bad. I had the same in F last week. You have to use the controller to scroll through the options. I just gave up. BA proudly promotes they have Paramount+ on board and it's still the same programmes they had last December when I flew!
oceanscape likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 5:03 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by chriswiles
I complained to the crew that F was looking dated after experiencing the Club Suite.
What did you expect the crew to do when you complained? 🤯
Old Apr 7, 2023, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
What did you expect the crew to do when you complained? 🤯
Firstly they can reset it to see it if solves the issue, secondly they can offer you another seat if they have one free, third they can log it so that it can get fixed and you can get compensated.
oceanscape and SxMan like this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by ringingup
Firstly they can reset it to see it if solves the issue, secondly they can offer you another seat if they have one free, third they can log it so that it can get fixed and you can get compensated.
I think it was more of a general complaint that First wasn't as good as CS. Nothing the CC can do about that. You're confusing it with another post about defective IFE, which of course can be dealt with as you describe.
ringingup likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2023, 7:53 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm in the absolute minority here, but in 5 A380 flights this year I've either landed early or bang on time, everytime.

Admittedly I've avoided LAX, but even my MIA flights have been perfect.

I'd rather an A380 than the 777s I've spent too much time on this year - these always seem to get bus gates!

M
Old Apr 8, 2023, 11:42 am

Store half the fleet at Chateauroux getting soaked for a year and a bit rather than the desert and it’s no surprise they’re having issues on their return. Saved BA a few pennies at the time but boy are they paying for it now, typical penny wise pound foolish short term attitude to cost from BA.
Old Apr 8, 2023, 4:12 pm

Programs: British Airways GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Not immediately but it is coming. 97J CS all on the upper deck config. The recent sign off means BA is committing to their A380 fleet for the medium-long term. As skipness1E advises the work will likely be carried out in the Far East (Manila?) so won't affect 788/789 scheduled for refit in CWL. However with a 380 frame out of action for 30-40 days at a time its going to be a slow roll-out of at least 12 months once work gets under way before the fleet is retrofitted.
Great, 97 DYKWIA's all in one space, all complaining they are the most important people ever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.