The trouble with the A380 lately

Old Apr 1, 2023, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi

I thought the 788s and 789s were due to be started later this year so would these be done before the A380s?

Regards

Tbs
I'm uncertain what might get done first, but I believe the 788s should start heading for refits later this year. Given that fleet is smaller than the 789s, I'd guess they'd get done sooner (but that's just speculation).
Old Apr 1, 2023, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dn212
Does that mean BA are about to start fitting club suite to the A380?
Not immediately but it is coming. 97J CS all on the upper deck config. The recent sign off means BA is committing to their A380 fleet for the medium-long term. As skipness1E advises the work will likely be carried out in the Far East (Manila?) so won't affect 788/789 scheduled for refit in CWL. However with a 380 frame out of action for 30-40 days at a time its going to be a slow roll-out of at least 12 months once work gets under way before the fleet is retrofitted.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 12:06 am

Programs: BA Silver. London Cycling Campaign. TfL Oyster
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Not immediately but it is coming. 97J CS all on the upper deck config.
Any speculative seat maps out in the ether for this?
crazy8534 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:37 am

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Not immediately but it is coming. 97J CS all on the upper deck config. The recent sign off means BA is committing to their A380 fleet for the medium-long term. As skipness1E advises the work will likely be carried out in the Far East (Manila?) so won't affect 788/789 scheduled for refit in CWL. However with a 380 frame out of action for 30-40 days at a time its going to be a slow roll-out of at least 12 months once work gets under way before the fleet is retrofitted.
Originally Posted by NoTiersForMe
Any speculative seat maps out in the ether for this?
I was going to ask the same thing, I am guessing not yet.
But very interesting to convert the 2-3-2 layout upstairs from CW to CS (similar to the 788 conversions) and I can imagine that it works out quite cost-effectively for them.
I wonder if they will keep WTP upstairs too, possibly with the loss of the WT cabin on the UD and I am assuming that F will stay in the forward lower deck and remain F14?

Looking forward to seeing the map when it arrives.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:32 am
D1L

Originally Posted by crazy8534
I was going to ask the same thing, I am guessing not yet.
But very interesting to convert the 2-3-2 layout upstairs from CW to CS (similar to the 788 conversions) and I can imagine that it works out quite cost-effectively for them.
I wonder if they will keep WTP upstairs too, possibly with the loss of the WT cabin on the UD and I am assuming that F will stay in the forward lower deck and remain F14?

Looking forward to seeing the map when it arrives.
Theres been a number of proposals in terms of layout put forward... 1 includes First being located on the upper deck to 8F in the forward section, with the remainder being Club World. This gives the best overall increase of seats on the aircraft and personally my favourite. However, there were some costing issues to do with the First cabin refit for this to be done i heard. Another proposal is for CW only on the upper deck and the main deck to be First, WTP and WT. I believe this is the chosen design, but not officially confirmed. Refreshed seats and upgraded IFE are also in the pipeline. With any BA refits though, i'm sure some area will end up taking a cut.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 3:09 am

Programs: MUCCI
Interesting this has all been signed off. I still have my doubts.... I think if the 777X comes through by early 2025 then these A380's will be pensioned off.... Barring a very small number of routes such as JNB they are really hard for BA to fill - J (and hence by default F) are usually fairly full but Y in particular is just too large at 297 seats. Even with 97 CS which will take out a bit of Y the number of Y seats is still very high and other airlines have said they struggle too.... The only airline that thinks the A380 isn't big enough is EK but they are just on a very different strategy to everyone else......
I will believe the A380 being refurbed and lasting in the fleet beyond 2026 when I see it. I will be sad to see them go but everyone bar EK is cutting them back and planning on phasing them out. In simple terms the 4 engines is the killer, just makes them very fuel hungry.....
FD.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by D1L
Another proposal is for CW only on the upper deck and the main deck to be First, WTP and WT...
Hiking all the way down the very back doesn't feel particularly premium even if the destination is a CW seat.
BA or bust likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 8:39 am

Un grand cochon avec ailes was the phrase used by an AF Captain. Fuel efficient at 40,000 and starting descent and when at the stand.....
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
Hiking all the way down the very back doesn't feel particularly premium even if the destination is a CW seat.
SQ/EY and most of EK do exactly this upstairs on the A380.
HeyAussie, sammyg901, D1L and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold | Hilton Honors - Gold
Originally Posted by Flying Doctor
Interesting this has all been signed off. I still have my doubts.... I think if the 777X comes through by early 2025 then these A380's will be pensioned off.... Barring a very small number of routes such as JNB they are really hard for BA to fill - J (and hence by default F) are usually fairly full but Y in particular is just too large at 297 seats. Even with 97 CS which will take out a bit of Y the number of Y seats is still very high and other airlines have said they struggle too.... The only airline that thinks the A380 isn't big enough is EK but they are just on a very different strategy to everyone else......
I will believe the A380 being refurbed and lasting in the fleet beyond 2026 when I see it. I will be sad to see them go but everyone bar EK is cutting them back and planning on phasing them out. In simple terms the 4 engines is the killer, just makes them very fuel hungry.....
FD.
I may be speaking in isolation but certainly any time I have flown to/from DFW on the A380, there hasnt been a seat left in the house. So certainly for some routes it must be working well.

That being said, if the plan to refit puts Y all on the lower deck, that would greatly increase overall capacity, which may impact loads (and I would be greatly disappointed as a frequent Y traveller)
crazy8534 and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Not immediately but it is coming. 97J CS all on the upper deck config. .
I was told the same by a crew member on a recent A380 flight (which was mostly on time, and not due to any aircraft defects).

I like the upper deck of the A380 because it has the window storage boxes. Note that the upper jetbridge is usually attached first, so any longer walk down the aircraft is significantly mitigated by getting a several minute head start on those below you when you're getting off - a huge advantage in locations where there are immigration queues it is better to be at the front of.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Dn212
Does that mean BA are about to start fitting club suite to the A380?
Good grief I do hope not. Pucci is predicting the demise of First and if that goes then that all the seats will have blasted footwells.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Apr 2, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Well, if the whole upper deck is CW, then it will be only CW passengers walking down, so much less congested than with WT passengers trooping past?
Actually, I think it would be quite nice.
Old Apr 2, 2023, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
Originally Posted by camdentown
Well, if the whole upper deck is CW, then it will be only CW passengers walking down, so much less congested than with WT passengers trooping past?
Actually, I think it would be quite nice.
Flew on the QF refitted A380 recently, that's 70J+60W upper deck. Didn't feel particularly hectic at boarding, and I'm sure would be even less hectic with 90-plus J on the upper deck. As you say, probably quite civilised.

If the BA config is entirely J upper deck, I can imagine the W cabin going in where J was on the main deck, 2-4-2, and possibly getting enlarged again.
1Aturnleft and becks1 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2023, 1:54 am

I've done row 97 on SQ and it's really rather lovely.
stewaran and becks1 like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.