Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Perhaps controversial for a Friday- LCY is pants?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite

For context I rarely use LCY. And perhaps I am a little grumpy because I was on the overnight flight from HKG to be greeted by the usual LHR chaos.

But... LCY has many passionate advocates. And, to be fair, it is very easy to get to with public transport and security is a dream. But there the dream stops- I am in the central departures area and I have rarely been somewhere so crowded. I've spent 15 mins trying to find a seat and have ended up sharing a small table by Nero. The air is hot and stale. I'm tired and just want a seat!

So why do people like LCY so much?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:47 am

It’s an efficient airport, the take offs and landings are quite special and you either get an aisle or window seat when you fly! No middle seat antics. However, prices on BA from LCY can be high, especially in Club, it can get crowded at peak periods and it is prone to serious disruption when fog is around.
supergraeme, becks1, SxMan and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
If all you want is a seat there are always plenty available at the gates, just a few moments' walk from the main terminal area.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
There are many things those of us who like LCY often love:

1) it’s small
2) you can go there near the last minute before your flight
3) it’s a very well run and efficient airport
4) boarding is quick and you just walk to the plane
5) you usually de board quickly, walk in minutes to immigration and have super fast luggage delivery if you typically checked anything
6) security is fast and efficient considering there is no fast track
7) public transport is cheap pleasant and efficient, cabs and mini cabs cost much less than to/from any other London airport
8) you often get magnificent views upon landing
9) the small planes are comfortable and enjoyable with typically no middle seat for anyone of virtually any airline
10) for Ba specifically, y is immensely more enjoyable than on mainline with no middle seat complimentary food and full bar and typically no hand luggage issue.
11) it feels like an actual airport, not some silly shopping mall. Many of us who like planes enjoy that part.

but to enjoy lcy you need to use it for what it’s good at. If you like coming early to an airport, enjoying lounges, shopping or restaurants, fast track etc that’s just not the right place for you…
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite
Thanks all- I fear I was just being harsh because the airport is busy on a Friday afternoon.

I agree with most of the points made here, particularly that its quick and easy to get on/off the plane. And having a profound dislike for the modern 'supermall' concept of most major airports it would be great if there was some more comfortable/quiet seating!

Have a great weekend all...
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
As mentioned above, the reason I love LCY is that I can arrive from the DLR at T-30mins (or less) without stress. I'll often arrive about T-45mins, grab a coffee from Pret (using my subscription!) and wander down to a quiet gate for a few minutes before the flight gate is announced and boarding starts shortly thereafter.

I can definitely understand why people who get stuck in LCY due to delays, or who arrive very early, might find it less agreeable - but there are also plenty of very quiet areas within the gates.
becks1 and DXB2745 like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
You made the fatal mistake to stay in the main area. Just 5-10 mins walk down the corridor and plenty of seats and peace. As I am more than 1 hour from Heathrow and only 20 from city sometimes I would rather if I fly from city with a quick stop over to Frankfurt or Amsterdam and then to my final destination. It takes pretty much the same time.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:47 am

I thought that you were going to say that you were 1 of the 2 people offloaded from the flight to PMI this morning as it was overweight.

No drop off charges
In and out in a few minutes to drop off.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:05 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
You can turn up 30mns before your flight and still make it quite comfortably. On the way back you can be on the DLR 5mns after touchdown.

I agree with you, it was crowded airside the last few times I used it, and it definitely could use a lounge if you're going to be there for any longer than 30mns. I think that some of the extension works are still ongoing, so give it a chance once they're done upgrading.
becks1 and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:31 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Frequent fliers should know better than to stay in the central holding pen with the sheeple 😉.
Plenty of open gates along the refurbished west pier and some coffee options as well I think?
SxMan likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:49 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
"Rarely been somewhere so crowded"......try Anfield or the Tube
masmadrid likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 11:55 am

Programs: BA Silver
BA's Embraer's are fantastic particularly Row 15 - No danger of being turfed out either.

With the amount Business Users I'm surprised it hasn't got a Lounge.

Perhaps that's why City flyer still have a proper service even in Y ?
Fatdickie likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:00 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, KLM Flying Blue Gold, IHG Platinum, HIlton Diamond, Shangri-La Diamond, Marriot Gold
It’s may appear crowded but it’s probably normal level of passengers just half of the departures area is being redeveloped at present
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:44 pm
dnw

Isn't the point of LCY that you can comfortably arrive so close to departure that you don't need to worry about finding a seat...
Old Mar 31, 2023, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
You spent 15 mins in the main departure hall?

There is your mistake. You got to LCY too early.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.