Is it curtains for Club Europe curtains?

Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
Is it curtains for Club Europe curtains?

Was on one of the newer NEOs yesterday, G-TTNE, on the way back from Naples.

Pretty busy flight, although only 6 rows of CE. I was in 1A and was 'fortunate' enough to have 1C kept empty.

I notced after the meal service was finished, there was a constant queue for the lav, luckily I'd managed to finish eating by then.

Being that 1C was empty lots of queuing pax used it as an area to lean against the bulkhead so was actually not that beneficial as an occupier would have stopped any encroachment!

When I looked back to see where the constant stream of bodies was coming from, I noticed there was no curtain. The fittings were there but nothing dangling from them.

Have BA given up with curtains now? An enhancement to allow a brighter cabin?

I do recall previously seeing in some of the Club Europe blurb (maybe when they try to sell you a POUG) that they mentioned an exclusive cabin. I can't see that on the CE page on ba.com which makes me think it's not going to be a thing anymore.
RJD1983 and TarquinMontague like this.

Last edited by bhbloke; Mar 27, 2023 at 9:21 am
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:44 am

It will have been a temporary defect. Curtains are still a standard fit on all shorthaul aircraft.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MFCC
It will have been a temporary defect. Curtains are still a standard fit on all shorthaul aircraft.
Thanks for confirming, it's strange how you don't miss something until it's no longer there!
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:02 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by MFCC
I think there are some exceptions - we were on G-TTOB last week and there were no fixings for the main curtain between cabins, just the small curtains above the seatbacks

That aircraft seems to be an ex-GB Airways and then ex-Easyjet bird, which may have something to do with it
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:16 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
The newer A320neos with the bigger overheads dont have curtains yet.
Markie, EuropeanPete and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MUCCI, Elite Fan of MO, Marriott
I wish there could be a sign on the rabble side of the curtain…. ‘Emergency Access Only”.

fraisse10 and bhbloke like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by Grande Annee
... a constant queue for the lav ... I wish there could be a sign on the rabble side of the curtain…. ‘Emergency Access Only”.

"Emergency Evacuation Only" would be better.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: M&S Elite+
I wish there could be a sign on the rabble side of the curtain. Emergency Access Only.

Which side would that be?
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by KARFA
The newer A320neos with the bigger overheads dont have curtains yet.
Hopefully this is fixed soon.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:20 am

I wish there could be a sign on the rabble side of the curtain. Emergency Access Only.

I would consider urgent need for toilet an emergency
Grande Annee and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Flew back from AMS on Friday and no curtain to delineate the extent of CE.

As an interesting contrast, recently flew Bamboo Airways (low cost Vietnamese carrier) on an A320 from SGN - BKK. They have 2 rows of 2 + 2 in the J cabin, with the rest of the aircraft being standard 3 +3. There were only 2 people in J and we got a private mini bus from terminal to the steps of the aircraft. Once on board it was 1 cabin crew and 1 toilet for 2 pax (I like those ratios). Anyone who tried to sneak through the curtain to use the J toilet were despatched to the back of the aircraft.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:44 am

As mentioned above the new NEOs with the bigger overhead lockers dont have curtains along with quite a few aircraft which have them missing/broken.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:47 am

Programs: BA Executive Club - Silver (OWS)
I was on G-TTNT earlier in the month.

No curtain. No wifi.

Some airlines do have "Business Class passengers only" or words to that effect on the bulkhead/divider and some even have it on the overhead bins, too.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Agent69
As an interesting contrast, recently flew Bamboo Airways (low cost Vietnamese carrier) on an A320 from SGN - BKK. They have 2 rows of 2 + 2 in the J cabin, with the rest of the aircraft being standard 3 +3. There were only 2 people in J and we got a private mini bus from terminal to the steps of the aircraft. Once on board it was 1 cabin crew and 1 toilet for 2 pax (I like those ratios). Anyone who tried to sneak through the curtain to use the J toilet were despatched to the back of the aircraft.
I took an S7 flight from Moscow to Chisinau, and that was a similar approach for Biz. Whilst we were gathering our belongings before descending to our dedicated ground transport a rather burly stewardess held back the hordes.
asnovici likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Have BA given up with curtains now? An enhancement to allow a brighter cabin?
This has, as you rightly say, been discussed so many times. It's far from a new thing. The curtains are lacking on the newer NEO due to the 'wrongly configured lockers' according to crew (I'm sure you'll get more qualified answers). It's not a new standard, just on that particular plane. You also do not get the tray between the CE seats, either.

The crew doesn't like the fact there's no curtains as it makes it more likely economy passengers queue in the CE section for the toilet....as they do on F domestic in AA, which completely threw me sitting in F on a recent LGA to MIA flight. I was trying to eat and the single crew member had people from economy queuing for the toilet whilst we were still eating, so anyone in the aisle seat had someone standing right next to them as the toilet was forever busy up front. I asked the F crew and she said it's AA policy to encourage people from main cabin, up front, to use the front toilet.

I'll take the A320/321 any day over a NEO in CE.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.