Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Concorde Room - guest upset after being asked to take his feet off the sofa

Old Mar 27, 2023, 5:59 pm

I really hope for the mental wellbeing of the staff at the Concorde room, that they don't switch to a real road warrier lounge (might also be advisable for some of its guests).
I can't for the love of all Holy see what is wrong with a pair of socks on a sofa, if there is no viable alternative for resting?
pogonation likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA BLUE BADGE
VERB
If you lounge somewhere, you sit or lie there in a relaxed or lazy way

Sounds like he was lounging in the lounge.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:29 pm

Programs: BAEC
On Friday morning just past, a teenager was prone, lying across 2 chairs at the entrance to the dining area of the First Lounge at LHR. Shoes off of course! She wasn't bothering anyone or blocking anyone's access or denying others the use of the chair or space. I think the furniture should be used for its intended purpose. A chair is to sit on. A bed/cabana is for lying on. Improper use can cause breakages and reduce the life of furniture, furniture that she doesn't own. I walked past and had a forty winks in the Pods!

This simply comes down to social etiquette. Not hygiene or laws or even the "house rules" that some places have. The use of strict social etiquette and good manners has been declining in recent years, not just in Britain, but in all continents of the world.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:31 pm

Programs: BAEC
And on that note, as I sit in the BA lounge in SFO....... a man is talking very loudly on his phone!! Grrrr
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Had I been there I would probably have congratulated the member of staff with my address card stating that if there is any comeback I would be more than willing to defend them. I hope that he leaves in a huff.

I’ve offered my details before to a BA staff member whilst a witness to something from another passenger. I’ve posted this story before so feel free to skip it if you’ve read it before,

This was on a 777 (BA214 NCW for the interested) I had snagged the Bassinet seat 15K at check in and was happily sitting down enjoying my drink whilst the rest of boarding took place. The person (can't call him a gentleman but he was male) sitting in 15J had sat down and was talking loudly to a friend sitting in the same row in the DEFG block of seats. A charming crew member came down and asked very politely whether I would swap with a lady who had a baby and was not seated at a bassinet position.

I said yes and was in the process of asking where she was located (I might have been hoping for a seat in the single figures
- but she was in CW) when Mr "I'm more important than you" interrupts and asks for the crew members staff number. This idiot in the other felt he should have been asked about the baby going mext to him as well. I was mortified and just listened as he laid into this poor crew member, (who was actually fab and excellent throughout the flight) who was going to ask him if he minded - he told me later - after me but obviously never got the chance. This bloke was so rude that I was actually speechless for a minute or so and I missed whether I was actually going to need to move.

So a little later after Mr Angry had gone to the gents, I went and found the crew member and said that if he still wanted me to switch seats I was quite happy to do so. He said no that he didn't want to offend this 'nice' person sitting next to me. He also said that he didn't want to put a baby and mother next to him as he was 'clearly so enlightened'. I volunteered my business card (as I always do) in case this stupid pr@t was dumb enough to actually complain. The crew member said that he had appraised the CSD and she thought there was little chance of that but had made notes in case he did.

On returning to my seat Mr Angry asked me if I could believe the nerve of "that guy, he didn't ask me if I minded" I said that (as diplomatically as I could) that sadly I did think he was going to but never got the chance. Mr Angry didn’t seem to understand that he left no opportunity for the crew to ask him despite my spelling it out for him. I was then afforded every courtesy during the flight, and nothing was too much trouble, whilst the idiot sitting next to me wasn’t. I put in a BA.com well done for the crew member for good measure.

Oh and the baby was two rows forward and we never heard a peep out of it all night.

Good on the staff member for taking the time to tell this feet on the seats idiot off.
HIDDY, PETER01, flygirl68 and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by veron689908
And on that note, as I sit in the BA lounge in SFO....... a man is talking very loudly on his phone!! Grrrr
Now that is worse then a 100 socks on a lounge sofa in my book!
You have my full sympathy and I hope the guy gets a fly in his soup!
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT 2MM+; Marriott PLT
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes it is still there in the former boardroom
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Greenpen
Whats wrong with putting your feet, less shoes, on the sofa? As I type my un-socked right foot is tucked under my bottom whilst I rest on the drawing room sofa.

Is a foot dirtier than other parts of your anatomy that comes into contact with the sofa?
Many rules of etiquette that have little logic get the most outrage when they are violated. Historically, enforcement of such customs has been used to reinforce notions of who "belongs" and who doesn't.
I personally find people who are snappy and demanding of those helping them at a lounge far more egregious. It doesn't sound like the gentleman at issue here was any ruder than many are when being told there is a 13 minute delay or that they are out of their favorite champagne.

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 27, 2023 at 9:07 pm
Old Mar 27, 2023, 9:49 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I have seen plenty of people put their feet in places I would much rather not see feet on planes and in lounges. Many of them are old enough to know better. Some of them weren't even American!
Old Mar 27, 2023, 10:56 pm
Suspended

69 Posts above this one about nothing of any importance.

God knows how many posts a thread about a random farting passenger might attract
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:32 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by champignon

God knows how many posts a thread about a random farting passenger might attract
Well, it is clear that 69 posters feel differently to you about what is important 🤭
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Blenheim
Well, it is clear that 69 posters feel differently to you about what is important 🤭
I cannot speak to the priorities held by the posters of the other 69 comments in this thread.

What I can say is that I will be in the CCR in about 2 weeks, and I will not be walking around looking for errant feet, wherever they might be.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 11:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I cannot speak to the priorities held by the posters of the other 69 comments in this thread.

What I can say is that I will be in the CCR in about 2 weeks, and I will not be walking around looking for errant feet, wherever they might be.
Just because it is not important to you does not mean that it is not important! Your opinion of what is important is correct for you but perhaps not generally
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:03 am

I think we've found our feet offender
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 12:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
At a guess because they heard the voice?

EDIT: and by that i mean accent rather than volume
Im saying nothing after last week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.