Baggage allowance (silver)

Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Baggage allowance (silver)

I am due to head back from Perth next week and will be returning to stay for 4 years on 21st April and wanted to double check the baggage allowance I can take as I want to maximise my baggage due to the length of stay.

Am I correct I can take 2 x 32kg checked luggage from ABZ - PER or is this just the LHR - PER leg.

If I was to fly another Oneworld carrier do I lose the right for 2 x 32 kg checked bags and just get the 1 checked bag in their allowance.

Off topic but has anyone dealt with any good carriers for taking over household goods from UK to AUS

Thanks in advance

SheepyAFC
Old Mar 27, 2023, 12:51 am

Programs: BA GGL
Yes, 2x 32KG bags although we need to know the full itineary.

Oneworld allowance varies by airline and ticket type. Some airlines have additional weight allowances, some have additiona bags etc...

Who are your individual flights with? Depending on where you connect will make the difference in which airline's rules determine your allowance.
Old Mar 27, 2023, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

I haven't organised my flights yet but happy to travel any Oneworld airline, as long as my silver card allows me and my family 2 x the airlines allowance

My flights will be

ABZ / LHR / ??? / PER

I may choose the direct QF flight rather than stop mid flight between LHR / PER but the baggage allowance is more important compared to stopping mid flight or not.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:24 am

What class will you be flying?

ABZ - LHR - xxx - PER on BA for the first two legs (but has to connect in Asia, think SIN or HKG) and then another OW carrier for the third leg would give you the 2x 32kg bags.

ABZ - LHR - xxx - PER on QF would give you a weight allowance of 45kg.

ABZ - LHR - DOH - PER on QR would give you a weight allowance of 45kg.

ABZ - LHR - HKG - PER with LHR - HKG being on CX would give you a bag allowance of 2x 23kg bags.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 1:26 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Qantas tend to be less generous than BA. As a Gold/Emerald, I was entitled to 3 x 32kg on LHR - SYD but only 2 x 32 from SYD to AKL. I only checked in 2 bags so I didn't test the flexibility on this. I believe I have taken 3 in the past, but not certain.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Sadly stuck in Economy again.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 2:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by c1223
What class will you be flying?

ABZ - LHR - xxx - PER on BA for the first two legs (but has to connect in Asia, think SIN or HKG) and then another OW carrier for the third leg would give you the 2x 32kg bags.

ABZ - LHR - xxx - PER on QF would give you a weight allowance of 45kg.

ABZ - LHR - DOH - PER on QR would give you a weight allowance of 45kg.

ABZ - LHR - HKG - PER with LHR - HKG being on CX would give you a bag allowance of 2x 23kg bags.
Would a BA booking ABZ / LHR / DOH / PER give me 2 x 32kg bags per person on my booking. The DOH / PER leg would be with QR but will be booked with BA.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:05 am

Programs: LH/BA/DL
... Depending on where you connect will make the difference in which airline's rules determine your allowance.
Just to clarify: The longest sector should determine what your allowance is for checked bags. This refers to the baggage rules for the longest individual flight in your itinerary.
In your case this means that connecting in the Middle East will result in the longest flight being Middle East to Australia (unless you add another stop). For connections in Asia, the Europe to Asia leg will probably be the longest.

For the carry-on allowance, it will be the operating carrier of each flight that sets the limits.

Last edited by Greg45; Mar 28, 2023 at 3:19 am
Old Mar 28, 2023, 3:09 am

If the DOH - PER leg has a BA flight number (as well as every other leg) then you'll get 2x 32KG as per BA's rules. If DOH - PER has a QR flight number, as per IATA MSC rules, you'll get a total weight allowance, depending on exact economy ticket booked, of either 40kg, 45kg or 50kg.

Originally Posted by Greg45
Just to clarify: The longest sector should determine what your allowance is for checked bags. This refers to the longest individual flights in your itinerary.
In your case this means that connecting in the Middle East will result in the longest flight being Middle East to Australia (unless you add another stop). For connections in Asia, the Europe Asia leg will probably be the longest.
"The longest sector" is used by airlines to simplify the rules.

Originally Posted by https://www.iata.org/contentassets/e7a533819be440edbb1e49da96e0f2a8/guidance-document-on-baggage-standards-for-interline.pdf
The process to determine the Most Significant Carrier (MSC) is defined in IATA Resolution 302. In case of code-share flights, in general the Marketing Carrier's baggage policy prevails, unless that carrier publishes a rule stipulating that the Operating Carrier’s baggage policy should apply.

The general rules to determine the MSC are based on the Areas where the transportation takes place. These areas are categorized between the IATA Traffic Conference (TC) Areas and Sub-Areas as follows:
• Traffic Conference Area 1 (TC1): The Western Hemisphere (The Americas and The Caribbean)
• Traffic Conference Area 2 (TC2): Europe, Middle East and Africa
• Traffic Conference Area 3 (TC3): Asia and Asia Pacific

Based on the above categorization the MSC is:
• The carrier performing carriage on the first sector that crosses from one Area to another for travel between two or more Tariff Conference (TC) Areas o Exception: TC123 only, the carrier providing carriage on the first sector that crosses between TC1 and TC2.
• The carrier performing carriage on the first sector that crosses from one Sub-Area to another for travel between two or more Tariff Conference (TC) Sub-Areas
• The carrier performing carriage on the first international sector for travel within a Tariff Conference (TC) Sub-Area.

To determine which rules to apply in an interline journey, for each checked in portion, the following standard process should be applied per IATA Resolution 302:
• Step 1: In case the published baggage rules are the same amongst all carriers in an itinerary, then the same baggage rules should apply.
• Step 2: In case one or more published baggage rules differ between carriers in an itinerary, then the published baggage provision of the MSC should apply. o In case of code-share flights the Marketing Carrier rule is applied unless the Marketing Carrier's published rules stipulate the use of the Operating Carrier rules.
• Step 3: In case the MSC does not publish baggage rules for the journey, then the rules of the check-in carrier should apply.
• Step 4: In case the check-in carrier does not publish baggage rules for the interline journey, then the rules of each Operating Carrier should apply, sector-by-sector.
A useful graphic:

Note that US DOT rules apply in the USA, where if you start or end in the USA your baggage allowance from the first segment carries through for all flights.

Last edited by c1223; Mar 28, 2023 at 3:16 am
Old Apr 4, 2023, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

All, one last question is that I have booked my flights from ABZ / PER in April and just want to double check my luggage that I can def take.

Flight numbers are
BA1305 ABZ - LHR
BA7008 LHR - DOH (operated by Qatar)
BA6376 DOH - PER (Operated by Qatar)

All flights are Economy and booked as one PNR through BA.

On the app it states for baggage allowance it states 2 bags weight restrictions apply on the ABZ - LHR flights but on the 2 flights operated it states 1 bag weight restrictions apply.

I though because they had BA flight numbers I would be allowed double the normal baggage allowance rather than 1.

Thanks

SheepyAFCFlights
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You are not entitled to double allowance - you are entitled to 1 extra piece ( for the piece system where the ticketed allowance is less than 2 pieces) - the normal ticketed allowance is 1 piece of max 23kg, so you are entitled to 1 extra piece.

If you were on flights both marketed by and operated by BY, then its more generous allowance of 2 pieces, each of 32kg
Old Apr 4, 2023, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are not entitled to double allowance - you are entitled to 1 extra piece ( for the piece system where the ticketed allowance is less than 2 pieces) - the normal ticketed allowance is 1 piece of max 23kg, so you are entitled to 1 extra piece.

If you were on flights both marketed by and operated by BY, then its more generous allowance of 2 pieces, each of 32kg
If I get what you are saying I get 2 pieces, but only up to a combined weight of 23kg for the Qatar flights
Old Apr 5, 2023, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by SheepyAFC
If I get what you are saying I get 2 pieces, but only up to a combined weight of 23kg for the Qatar flights
2 x 23kg - aach piece has a max of 23kg
SheepyAFC likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 11:31 am

My understanding is that as BA is the marketing carrier throughout that you would get BA's 2x 32kg baggage allowance. At least according to IATA MSC rules. However, maybe BA don't follow those rules? In which case Qatar operate on a weight concept for that route so it would be your economy allowance which is 25kg plus the OW benefit of 15kg, but not limited to one piece.
Old Apr 5, 2023, 2:32 pm

My understanding is that as BA is the marketing carrier throughout that you would get BA's 2x 32kg baggage allowance. At least according to IATA MSC rules. However, maybe BA don't follow those rules? In which case Qatar operate on a weight concept for that route so it would be your economy allowance which is 25kg plus the OW benefit of 15kg, but not limited to one piece.
BA's alllowance for economy class is 1 x 23 Kg. the additional allowance for Silver is 1 extra piece

On https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...age-allowances, where it shows the allowance for status holders of 2 x 32 Kg, it also clearly states "The above allowances apply to British Airways flights only."

The OneWorld page on baggage allowance states

Originally Posted by OneWorld
***Extra baggage allowance for Sapphire frequent flyers

As a Sapphire frequent flyer, the following special checked baggage privileges will apply when you fly on oneworld airlines:

On international or domestic itineraries using the baggage allowance "weight" system - 15 kgs in addition to the ticketed Economy Class baggage allowance.

On international itineraries, that include domestic sectors, using the baggage allowance “piece” system – one additional bag*, weighing up to 23kgs, up to a maximum of two pieces.

On purely domestic itineraries, using the baggage allowance "piece" system, for tickets with no ticketed baggage entitlement - the assurance of one piece of checked baggage, weighing up to 23 kgs.
This is in line with what the OP is showing listed on his booking

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.