FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Pet peeve... wasting food (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/2115491-pet-peeve-wasting-food.html)

IntVic Mar 18, 2023 7:54 am

Pet peeve... wasting food

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...b87f61b863.jpg
In Gold wing/ lounge LHR this afternoon when a gentleman was piling up the food. He eventually left most of it.
I cannot understand why people take more food than they can possibly eat. Recently returned from the Hotel Splendid in Budva Montenegro and witnessed the same thing there.
The gentleman in the photo which I cannot edit on my phone was not the perpetrator.

DYKWIA Mar 18, 2023 8:01 am

I’ve noticed the same over the last few years, mainly by Eastern Europeans and Russians. If there is a buffet, they’ll just fill a few plates up right at the start and make room on their table. Sometimes it will all get eaten, other times I’ve seen platefuls just discarded as they hit the desserts…

TTmex Mar 18, 2023 8:01 am

Yes, it's mind boggling. Watched it many times. I've been to a couple of buffets in my time where the price increases if you leave food on your plate. Amazing how people take less. Not going to work in lounges, but wish people wouldn't be so wasteful.

South London Bon Viveur Mar 18, 2023 8:03 am

Crass buffet behaviour. There must be some sort of psychological explanation. I imagine that same person would have been hoarding pasta and toilet rolls during the pandemic.

Mind you, I am almost an opposite extreme. Small amounts on my plate each time, but a huge number of trips to the buffet. I do find people piling on huge amounts of food so that it is virtually toppling off their plate a bit embarassing. Then again some people might observe me going to the buffet five times and think I'm a greedy ....... :)

Ldnn1 Mar 18, 2023 8:12 am

Is the pile of white stuff rice?! Ambitious.

EuropeanPete Mar 18, 2023 8:48 am

Was he perhaps carb-loading in advance of a run through the corridor to the C gates? People have run a marathon on less.

T8191 Mar 18, 2023 8:55 am

Gross behaviour by the perp. I have no idea what their mental processes are, other than “It’s FREE!”

Unless it was a family of 6, who suddenly realised they had to go to T5C :confused:

vintagepilot Mar 18, 2023 9:24 am

Seen this recently in 'free' buffet places - at an all inclusive resort and Hilton breakfast. It all seemed to be for photo opportunity/social media purposes.

T8191 Mar 18, 2023 9:33 am

I do recall our AI holiday in Maui, which had an excellent and varied breakfast buffet, watching certain guests filling their beach bags with lunch and possibly dinner too!

corporate-wage-slave Mar 18, 2023 9:36 am

I can't make out some of the food items, but my estimate of the bananas, rice and sandwiches is that there is 4,100 calories there, so enough to feed a male for 40 hours.

flybymonkey Mar 18, 2023 9:53 am

A total foul practice by the visitor(s). If the food was not good or inedible they should have raised it with the staff so it could have been addressed.

I used to live near a local Chinese buffet place where they claimed their chefs took great pride in the food they made and had a strict policy for every full plate of food not consumed there would be a £5 penalty to prevent food wastage.

A bodybuilder friend of mine up until a couple of months ago was eating 5,000 calories a day to bulk up as it was off season but the meals were far more nutitious than this.

Knodde Mar 18, 2023 10:10 am

Few things annoy me more than seeing people waisting food! I guess either a bad upbringing where no one tought you the value, or a worse upbringing where you had nothing...

Can backfire though. Had a friend who spent a couple of weeks in a very posh resort. A Russian family at the same resort that constantly ordered food and drinks. Took a bite of a burger, left it, a zip of a drink, left it. Went on for two weeks... When they were leaving the resort it was a bit of upheaval, it was not an all inclusive resort.. :)

HIDDY Mar 18, 2023 10:10 am

The cabin bag with wheels on top of the furniture is annoying to see as well.

Lefly Mar 18, 2023 10:13 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA (Post 35096937)
I’ve noticed the same over the last few years, mainly by Eastern Europeans and Russians. If there is a buffet, they’ll just fill a few plates up right at the start and make room on their table. Sometimes it will all get eaten, other times I’ve seen platefuls just discarded as they hit the desserts…

I saw a lot of Americans doing that too, and not only in lounges. Once, on a transcon, the lady seated at my side chose the cheese plate when the CC asked about desserts. She didn't eat anything from it... not one single thing. It was the last cheese plate, by the way :rolleyes:

That also explain why in a lot of lounges I can't leave my table until I have finished everything in my plate, otherwise it gets collected. Lounge attendants are too much used to people not finishing their food.

adrianlondon Mar 18, 2023 11:06 am

Originally Posted by TTmex (Post 35096938)
Yes, it's mind boggling. Watched it many times. I've been to a couple of buffets in my time where the price increases if you leave food on your plate. Amazing how people take less. Not going to work in lounges, but wish people wouldn't be so wasteful.

I agree - this should become the norm. It should, somehow, be done in all inclusive resorts/lounges too but I don't know how. Maybe just have staff take their photo and hang it up on a wall of shame.

Originally Posted by HIDDY (Post 35097207)
The cabin bag with wheels on top of the furniture is annoying to see as well.

Well spotted - it now annoys me too.

I've decided I just don't like the invisible guy at all.