Pet peeve... wasting food

Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:52 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by gingerlucy
However, the small charge means people don't leave the in-room electric heaters on all day when they are out, whereas I am convinced they would happily do so if it were free, so we are managing the behaviour rather than attempting to recoup the cost.
At the risk of going off-topic, my personal pet hate (probably equal with wasting food) is those many selfish so-and-so's who leave aircon on when they leave hotel rooms. Oh and patio heaters - put on another layer or a blanket if you are cold rather than blasting unnecessary gas into the atmosphere. I boycott pubs with them.
camdentown likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by Lefly
I saw a lot of Americans doing that too, and not only in lounges.
That's something I find ironic about flying domestic F in the US - the meals are tiny. I flew MIA to LGA in January and that's a 3 hour flight. Was amazed to see we received a tiny salad, pudding and a few biscuits etc. You get more food on a breakfast flight between EDI and LHR!
seanp7 likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 5:59 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Gold, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
I often prefer not to eat the top of the bun for a burger or sandwich, and actually much prefer my sandwiches/burgers open faced style.

Regarding wasting food, not sure if this was common or taught across the pond, but I suspect many Americans from my generation were brought up to always leave a little food on one's plate when dining at restaurants or as a guest at someone's home. The rationale being to signify to the chef or host one enjoyed the food thoroughly and also completely satiated.
I always think back to this vintage ad when it comes to trying to understand cultural norms about clearing your plate (or not)

Old Mar 20, 2023, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by ratechaser
I always think back to this vintage ad when it comes to trying to understand cultural norms about clearing your plate (or not)
LMAO....That was awesome! I mean, it makes sense right? If one clears his/her plate down to the last speck of rice or strand of pasta, a host may infer the guest isn't quite full.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:03 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
I suppose I enjoy being the outside voice, so can I put up a potential explanation?
Perhaps the gent in the photo was just trying to be polite. If you have a group of people it can be nice to bring a load of stuff back so that people can pick and choose what they want without having to break up the conversation and go to the buffet themselves. All the food that is on the buffet is going to go into people's bellies or into the bin. I'm not sure that wastage by individuals in this way grreatly increases the overall level of wastage from lounge buffets, it just looks profilgate to people who have a certain perspective. If you came from a Russian or Middle Eastern background it might seem rude if you went to the buffet and only brought back food for yourself.
This does not excuse the Hilton breakfast though.
Old Mar 20, 2023, 2:22 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC electrum
suspect many ... were brought up to always leave a little food on one's plate when dining .. as a guest at someone's home. The rationale being to signify to the chef or host one enjoyed the food thoroughly and also completely satiated.
This varies across the world. I remember stories in the 70s where people from Cambodia who didn't have two pence to rub together struggled to feed UK guests who were trying to be polite and always cleaning their plate. It's a potential buttered toast cat drop.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
LMAO....That was awesome! I mean, it makes sense right? If one clears his/her plate down to the last speck of rice or strand of pasta, a host may infer the guest isn't quite full.
ISTR that the last dish in a proper Chinese Banquet is always plain boiled rice, which one may then leave largely untouched to fulfil cultural norms without wasting too much of the hostís budget.
Visconti and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by T8191
ISTR that the last dish in a proper Chinese Banquet is always plain boiled rice, which one may then leave largely untouched to fulfil cultural norms without wasting too much of the host’s budget.
Yes, that's always been my experience.

To end the feast, there's generally some fried rice (Cantonese) or fired noodles (non-Cantonese) served, but one's expected to only have a bite or two, and then leave the rest. It's my understanding the custom is to pay homage to the rice growers which allowed China to survive periods of widespread famine.

So, in this case, "wasting food" is definitely the cultural norm. I recall an English colleague shared with me many years ago that if one works and lives long enough in HK, you'll eventually go native. To this day, I still avoid 4s like the plague, choose and bet on 8s whenver possible, pay homage to face & joss (fun siu), and still order a plate of fried rice to end a dinner at a Chinese restaurant and only having a morsel.
T8191 and physicsdude like this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:43 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, BA Bronze, Ex-skywards Platnium
Yes, that's always been my experience.

To end the feast, there's generally some fried rice (Cantonese) or fired noodles (non-Cantonese) served, but one's expected to only have a bite or two, and then leave the rest. It's my understanding the custom is to pay homage to the rice growers which allowed China to survive periods of widespread famine.

So, in this case, "wasting food" is definitely the cultural norm. I recall an English colleague shared with me many years ago that if one works and lives long enough in HK, you'll eventually go native. To this day, I still avoid 4s like the plague, choose and bet on 8s whenver possible, pay homage to face & joss (fun siu), and still order a plate of fried rice to end a dinner at a Chinese restaurant and only having a morsel.
This is the norm for China. However, in Korea or Japan this is considered very rude. One of my colleagues didn't know much about each of these countries' culture back then and almost paid dearly.
Visconti likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2023, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Oops. My grandson is currently doing a Gap Year trip to Korea and Japan. At 6’4” I’ve never known him leave anything on his plate, so he’ll be culturally OK on that basis! 😺
LCSinTexas and physicsdude like this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by louie-m
At the risk of going off-topic, my personal pet hate (probably equal with wasting food) is those many selfish so-and-so's who leave aircon on when they leave hotel rooms.
It depends just which country you're in, but supposing you are somewhere where you *really* do need aircon, I might leave it on. What they should do to avoid this is make a very simple way of scheduling the aircon prior to your arrival. Programming an aircon system with a Chinese remote control, sure, it is possible but, frankly, annoying, even if you know the language.

Mind you, I suppose these days, we'd be going down the app route in this regard, and I have far too many of those already.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by flybymonkey
A total foul practice by the visitor(s). If the food was not good or inedible they should have raised it with the staff so it could have been addressed.

I used to live near a local Chinese buffet place where they claimed their chefs took great pride in the food they made and had a strict policy for every full plate of food not consumed there would be a £5 penalty to prevent food wastage.

A bodybuilder friend of mine up until a couple of months ago was eating 5,000 calories a day to bulk up as it was off season but the meals were far more nutitious than this.

About 50% of the room rate. Required another 25% for a second key card.
flybymonkey likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.