Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet peeve... wasting food

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:09 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I hate wasting food with a passion and try and teach my kids how bad it is whether that be at home or out.
HIDDY and travellingmip like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 11:22 am

Programs: BA GGL - maybe only briefly!
As previously discussed - Hilton breakfast: Special order fried eggs, eggs benedict, waffles and a family-sized bowl of yoghurt - abandoned.

(Slight thread drift - but it is a BA destination!!)
HIDDY, YacozA and PGberkshire like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
I guess those of us who grew up in the days of WW2 and post-War rationing have a particularly strong POV
BA or bust, Skyline, HIDDY and 4 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lefly
I saw a lot of Americans doing that too, and not only in lounges. Once, on a transcon, the lady seated at my side chose the cheese plate when the CC asked about desserts. She didn't eat anything from it... not one single thing. It was the last cheese plate, by the way
A passenger selecting *one* dessert on a long flight seems to be quite different from what's posted here. Although you appear to have been watching intently, the passenger may have intended to eat it. And it's not like the passenger could have gone back up to the planes buffet 10 minutes later. While I agree with the OPs post, I think focusing on what other people eat and shaming them for it when they've ordered a single dessert might be taking it a bit far.
bon mot likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC
So wrong. Almost as if they were trying to draw comment. That plate of rice alone would defeat 3 grown men. Something very off there.
The Hilton breakfast looks as if there is something else to the story - had to wait so long they were running late perhaps? I live in hope there was a reason.
lowfareair and ezefllying like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I guess those of us who grew up in the days of WW2 and post-War rationing have a particularly strong POV
I think that largely carried over for a generation as well (myself included) because our parents gave us food and we either ate it or we went hungry. If you ever met me, you would realise I was a fast learner...

But anyway, yes, hate food waste, one of those great social evils. Unfortunately buffets will always make it just that bit easier.
BrunswickSq likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:06 pm

Programs: BA Exec - BA GGL/CCR, UA Premier Platinum
Disgraceful behaviour
TRISTAR1979 likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:17 pm

What I don’t understand is why some people pile so many different foods onto one plate. Veg, meat, fish, rice, curry, pasta, chips, guacamole, coleslaw, bread, fried eggs, fruit and so on all mixed together.

I suppose it cuts down the effort of standing up to walk to the buffet too often.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold
That's outrageous. I'm not one to say something but this would have triggered me. Pure arrogance.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
It does appear, in my experience, that when prices are inclusive then the customer thinks of nothing else than to pile their plate high. It is true for breakfast included on prices as well as in lounges. Sadly although I am an atlanticist by nature and politics, it seems to be more prevalent amongst those who live across the pond. I only say this based upon my experience and observations. I do believe that prejudice is wrong, but I have no issue with discriminating.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:52 pm

Programs: Airpoints
Originally Posted by MaxFlyer
I hate wasting food with a passion and try and teach my kids how bad it is whether that be at home or out.
Me too, try teaching elderly parents! It particularly annoys me when there is enough left over for lunch and food is thrown away, or the left overs hang around for too long.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Does the presence of the suitcase suggest the food is headed for 'stolen' status? That could be quite the plot twist.
wrp96 and gustavmahler like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I find this depressing, irresponsible, and shocking. One of the many reasons why I hate buffets in general, it gets the worst out of some people.

I'm not saying that I am in favour of extreme "you are not leaving the table till you finish what there is on your plate" parenting, but I do suspect that if the parents of that guy had taken that line or a variation thereof with him once or twice in early years, they would have done both him and the planet a service.
Genius1, wrp96, crazy8534 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA-S UA LH-Sen KLM/AF-Plat.
Maybe it's because some people are simply not used to having that amount of food on a buffet to choose from. Silja Line out of Helsinki, we saw Russians at the "all in" breakfast with plates like the Pyramids and several glasses of beer, which was included. Not so much that a lot of it was left, which was bad enough, but they tended to heap several different courses on top of each other. Cooked items with sweet pastries then smoked fish all balanced on top of each other just being shovelled down.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by TTmex
Yes, it's mind boggling. Watched it many times. I've been to a couple of buffets in my time where the price increases if you leave food on your plate. Amazing how people take less. Not going to work in lounges, but wish people wouldn't be so wasteful.
I think wastefulness leads to other bad behaviors.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.