Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA charges to pre-assign World Traveller Plus seats?

BA charges to pre-assign World Traveller Plus seats?

Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA, Hilton
I appreciate the value of a good rant, it's cathartic.

Last time I did YUL in business, we paid circa 1300 GBP per person. Even at todays prices sub 2K seems possible.

If I didn't have status, I'd simply regard it as part of the cost. If BA+seat is still the best deal, it's the one I'll go for.

Edit: Apologies to Sheikh Yerbooty, my original response was brusque
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Mar 18, 2023 at 1:46 pm
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:59 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
I appreciate the value of a good rant, it's cathartic.

Last time I did YUL in business, we paid circa 1300 GBP per person. Even at todays prices sub 2K seems possible.

If I didn't have status, I'd simply regard it as part of the cost. If BA+seat is still the best deal, it's the one I'll go for.
Yup, it’s much cheaper out of London than Copenhagen. Even looking +2 months out (which is the maximum noticed period I’ve ever seen for a trip), can’t find anything to ATL, NYC, ORD, IAD, or YUL much below 4K. With the usual 2-3 week notice, we’re often talking +6K.

Here’s a search on CPH-IAD, April 23-28:

1 USD = 7 DKK. Which makes the direct flight a USD 7.000 proposition, but that’s what a monopoly will do for you. Cheapest option is USD 3850.

Here are the BA options, cheapest is USD 3900.

BertieBadger likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MisterBill
And hope that my wife and I can get seats next to each other at that point.
If you want the window/aisle pair you will need to pay for them, the chances of getting them for free are about nil. Waiting until you can select for free will likely result in sitting in the middle section of 4 seats.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
And when it does read “business" we’re talking prices of USD 4000 and upwards for a hop across the salty divide, which may not be full-fare but should be more than enough to include seat selection.
Why is that the cutoff? Is that the same on BOS-LHR as LAX-LHR? When people are paying $9k+ round-trip because they book only 1 week out, your fare seems quite the bargain that arguably should NOT get priority over those later/higher fares just because you booked first.

As a OW Ruby, I only get seating at 7 days, so I don't much like BA's policy personally. But I understand why many do. And I will make my purchases accordingly.

Just be glad that all business class fares allow access to the lounges...
adrianlondon and orbitmic like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 4:34 pm

Programs: BA
There can be "Silver" linings to all things status. Case in point...lost my Silver status as of Jan 1 23...flew one return long haul during that time (yes it was disappointing not choosing seats and no lounge). When I checked in for a flight end of January as a WT+ passenger, at check in I asked if the window seat in WT+ was available having been slotted into the aisle at the front of the cabin (all good of course)... I was expecting a not available and instead of a response, was handed a CW boarding pass for a 9.5 hour flight. My first CW experience turned out to be the best experience I ever had a on a flight in my 62 years!
Old Mar 18, 2023, 5:55 pm

And BUISNESS

Yes, BA have gone nuts since I flew last (its been 3 yrs). I am just starting my status climb by buying business outgoing and PE rtn leg transatlantic and read I could not pick a seat Id get the left overs.BUT I called as Im a ruby and of course they dont care, they wouldnt even apply that status saying one world takes several Als to update status! Very annoyed considering I bought on ba.com and with a ba credit card. I wish I never bought the ticket as I am going to change to star alliance as Ive had enough of the BA experience this go around to last me a lifetime.
MisterBill likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Im sure youre right, and shouldnt have used the term full-fare. But, honestly, all I care about is a ticket reading business class.

(Rant=on)
And when it does read business" were talking prices of USD 4000 and upwards for a hop across the salty divide, which may not be full-fare but should be more than enough to include seat selection. And it is with every other airline bar BA that Ive ever been onboard. Penny-pinching by braking it down in fare classes is a rip-off, and so far off industry standard its deplorable.
(Rant=off).

There, feel better now
If BA charged $4000 and up for business class, I would agree with you. BA J is routinely, even often, available for less than $4K across the pond.

Other airlines do charge for seat selection in J in certain fare classes. QR comes to mind. EK had "special" business class fares that didn't offer seat selection, although I'm not sure if those still exist post-pandemic. LX charges for selecting certain desirable J seats. I'm sure others will have examples, too.
orbitmic likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Schmoo111
Yes, BA have gone nuts since I flew last (its been 3 yrs). I am just starting my status climb by buying business outgoing and PE rtn leg transatlantic and read I could not pick a seat Id get the left overs.BUT I called as Im a ruby and of course they dont care, they wouldnt even apply that status saying one world takes several Als to update status! Very annoyed considering I bought on ba.com and with a ba credit card. I wish I never bought the ticket as I am going to change to star alliance as Ive had enough of the BA experience this go around to last me a lifetime.
Did you get a special deal on toys with that pram?
Old Mar 18, 2023, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by AviationMoose
Did you get a special deal on toys with that pram?
The comment wasn’t that bad? The fact you would send that kind of response suggests you would accept any level of poor treatment.

Last edited by Prospero; Mar 19, 2023 at 3:49 am Reason: rule 12 violation
Old Mar 18, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by steveholt
If BA charged $4000 and up for business class, I would agree with you. BA J is routinely, even often, available for less than $4K across the pond.

Other airlines do charge for seat selection in J in certain fare classes. QR comes to mind. EK had "special" business class fares that didn't offer seat selection, although I'm not sure if those still exist post-pandemic. LX charges for selecting certain desirable J seats. I'm sure others will have examples, too.
QR also charge for lounge access on some business class fares
orbitmic and SxMan like this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 1:03 am

Programs: BA; IHG; LHW; Hilton
Customers demand cheap fares nowadays thats the way the markets been going. To balance the books, extras need to be paid for.

Ive just looked at going with a low-cost carrier to Europe and the fare looked extremely competitive until I started adding in even basic things such as a carry on bag. In the end it worked out more expensive than Lufthansa or British Airway, so it was a case of taking the most conveniently m-timed flight.
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:07 am

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by SxMan
Customers demand cheap fares nowadays thats the way the markets been going. To balance the books, extras need to be paid for.

Ive just looked at going with a low-cost carrier to Europe and the fare looked extremely competitive until I started adding in even basic things such as a carry on bag. In the end it worked out more expensive than Lufthansa or British Airway, so it was a case of taking the most conveniently m-timed flight.
With some of the LCCs barely even allowing you a small personal item with their base fare now, how long will it be before we are personally weighed at check in, and have to pay excess fees if we are over the average weight for our height? I for one will not be a winner there

Part of the issue here is that I don't think there's any flight search engine that can really compare on a like for like basis with what many of us would consider a 'full service' - even google flights can't cope with a search specifically including hold baggage, much less free seat selection. Yes I know some of us get these thrown in anyway by virtue of status, but we are in the minority of travellers.

There's definitely a business opportunity there, provided of course you can scrape the data in the first place...
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:12 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Class, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Schmoo111
Im sorry but I dont understand any of the above.
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by ratechaser
With some of the LCCs barely even allowing you a small personal item with their base fare now, how long will it be before we are personally weighed at check in, and have to pay excess fees if we are over the average weight for our height? I for one will not be a winner there

Part of the issue here is that I don't think there's any flight search engine that can really compare on a like for like basis with what many of us would consider a 'full service' - even google flights can't cope with a search specifically including hold baggage, much less free seat selection. Yes I know some of us get these thrown in anyway by virtue of status, but we are in the minority of travellers.

There's definitely a business opportunity there, provided of course you can scrape the data in the first place...
Thatll be the end of me flying, I couldnt afford it 😀

Doesnt one of the smaller Pacific airlines charge by weight, Tonga maybe?
Old Mar 19, 2023, 4:38 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Visconti
On a TATL for paid J, the asking price for selecting a seat was a little over 100. That gave me a bit of sticker shock!
The sticker shock is intentional. The fees are intended to be a disincentive to select a seat before check-in opens.

If BA charged a nominal 20 per seat in J for pax without status, there would no doubt be some grumbling about nickel and diming yet most people forking out J prices would pay it. The 100+ charges per seat are to dissuade people selecting seats too far in advance, protecting the benefit of free seat selection to those with status. However, for those determined to select seats sooner, BA will happily take your money.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.